Reasons God Doesn't Exist

Chumly

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 10:44 pm
Eorl wrote:
It's like the whole natural history of the universe is a giant jigsaw puzzle, and we only have some of the peices. Every year we find more and more, but NOT ONCE have we EVER found a peice that clearly belonged to a different puzzle.
I'm bored so I'll take the devil's advocate and suggest one instance, that being the trigger for the explosion of the singularity for the big bang, assuming that there was a big bang etc. Whatever triggered its instability would not appear to be of this world's puzzle for a few reasons:

1) given that there was no "this world"
2) given that it was stable for an infinite period prior
3) given that there was no outside to have an affect on it
4) given that there was no time for an outside / inside effect to initiate

If you agree the triggering was an out of space/time event, then by default its part of a different puzzle.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 11:07 pm
One cannot assume the existence of a trigger let alone speculate on it's nature.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 11:15 pm
True enough that words fail, as do conventional realizations, my point however was that of the puzzle not fitting being the pivotal notion, n'est pas? That's why I put 1) given that there was no "this world" firstly.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 11:23 pm
Eorl wrote:
real life wrote:
Eorl wrote:
One simply reaches an age where childish fairy tales must be put aside, and one must face the reality of the universe as a natural phenomenom. It is true of a child, and is true of the human race as a whole.

It angers me that anyone would cheapen the glorious beauty of the universe (especially biology!) by presuming that some magician simply "poof"-ed it all into place.

It's like the whole natural history of the universe is a giant jigsaw puzzle, and we only have some of the peices. Every year we find more and more, but NOT ONCE have we EVER found a peice that clearly belonged to a different puzzle.

The Cassini-Huygens probe recently explored various parts of the Saturnian system and found many surprising and wonderful things. Sadly though, nothing magical, nothing unnatural, nothing to indicate that it was made with a wand or a spell or a magic word.

Just one "monolith on the moon" is all it would take to shake us to the core. Theists are just ignoring this obvious fact of life.

So since you've never 'seen' evidence of the 'unseen', i.e. you haven't observed any 'natural' evidence of the 'supernatural', then it obviously cannot be, right?

No, wrong. Take aliens for instance. Never seen them, yet it is reasonable to assume, from the observable state of the universe, that they may (or may not) exist.

Well since you've taken both sides of the argument, I'll let you duke it out with yourself, and I'll bet you'll win.
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 11:30 pm
BTW I forgot to add that I disagree "One cannot"........."speculate on it's nature". What is to stop me or anyone else from such speculations? And are you going to agee that "X" is not part of the puzzle as per "but NOT ONCE have we EVER found a peice that clearly belonged to a different puzzle"
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 11:34 pm
real life, I think I already have! Laughing

Chumly, you need all those "givens" to produce your foreign puzzle piece. Well, I ain't giving you them "givens"! (One of them says the universe was stable for a period of time that preceeds time itself.)
0 Replies

Chumly

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 11:46 pm
All well and good, but even though words fail miserably, as do our experiences of really itself in his context, I ask: how could it be anything but an "X" that clearly belongs to a different puzzle?

Notice I replaced all the weak words with a nifty "X" not that it really helps, but anything to make you happy Smile

Well that's what boredom will do for you, entertaining absurdities and having a bit of harmless fun.
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 12:52 am
For those who believe in God, most of the big questions are answered. But for those of us who can't readily accept the God formula, the big answers don't remain stone-written. We adjust to new conditions and discoveries. We are pliable. Love need not be a command or faith a dictum. I am my own God. We are here to unlearn the teachings of the church, state, and our educational system. We are here to drink beer. We are here to kill war. We are here to laugh at the odds and live our lives so well that Death will tremble to take us.

- Charles Bukowski
0 Replies