Born Agains: where did you screw up?

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 05:00 pm
Well I must admit to being religophobic....its not a crime (yet) is it?

I dont differentiate between superstition, religion, crystal dangling etc etc, although I will admit some stuff is relatively benign.

But what irritates me is their arrogance and self delusion. If those who set themselves up as figures of spiritual or relgious importance were honest they would say just the same as anyone else...i.e. we dont have a clue about the real nature of divinity, its all just myth and legend passed down to us. But they dont. They claim real knowledge about that which is unknowable and end up bamboozling the gullible and enjoying the fruits of the power it brings them.

Meanwhile some ideas are truly harmful. An obvious example being religious inspired terrorism.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 05:17 pm
Back again steve

To be clearer, if someone of a particular lizard worshipping religion ardently believes that an iguana is in charge, and does nothing to convert me over, or try to draw me in when I'm not interested, I can certainly respect that.

I'm sure to some people in the world my customs and beliefs in matters both religious and non-religious would appear totally absurd, but if I'm causing them no harm, and don't badger them, then I expect them to respect me.

As far as self flaggelation, I would have to investigate whether people were in any form forcing another, or excluding them.

Water into wine, bread into flesh? I have absolutely no problem with that. Why not?

As far as cannibalism, I'm not educated enough to go there. What if someone believes and volunteers to be the person consumed? I just don't know, have to think about that.

There's a group of people, I think they've stopped the practice because of a disease that I can't remember the name of right now (like mad cow), where they ate the brains of the dead, to keep them with them. Who am I to say that's wrong, if the person dying feels comforted by the fact they will remain part of their family?

I eat pork, something repulsive to much of the world. I wouldn't force someone to watch me eat a ham sandwich, because I'd respect them, and would want them to respect me.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 05:22 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
I eat pork, something repulsive to much of the world. I wouldn't force someone to watch me eat a ham sandwich, because I'd respect them, and would want them to respect me.

To me, the finest thing about Judaism and Islam is the fact that it leaves more pork for me.

Back bacon, anyone?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 05:29 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
Back again steve

To be clearer, if someone of a particular lizard worshipping religion ardently believes that an iguana is in charge, and does nothing to convert me over, or try to draw me in when I'm not interested, I can certainly respect that...
well a few years ago, providing they didnt bother me, or pelt me with rocks for wearing lizard skin shoes (I have several pairs...not) I would have taken the attitude "oh dear a complete nut but whatever, if he gets some comfort out of it". But no longer. The world is not ruled by giant green lizards, fact. And those who believe it to be true need psychiatric help. Those who teach the same to children need locking up.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 06:22 pm
I can respect that.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 04:44 am
Setanta wrote:
Chai Tea wrote:

To me, the finest thing about Judaism and Islam is the fact that it leaves more pork for me.

Back bacon, anyone?

Glad to help. Now step away from the pickles. Slowly.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 09:42 am
Chai Tea wrote:
I wouldn't force someone to watch me eat a ham sandwich, because I'd respect them, and would want them to respect me.
Very honest of you CT. Ever thought of something a little easier...like a chicken curry?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 09:56 am
Steve 41oo wrote:
Chai Tea wrote:
I wouldn't force someone to watch me eat a ham sandwich, because I'd respect them, and would want them to respect me.
Very honest of you CT. Ever thought of something a little easier...like a chicken curry?

I don't like curry, bleech, yuck. However, you'd never know it if you were having a meal with me, and ordered it. Why should I potentially make you uncomfortable?

I dunno, in general, if I realize somethings annoying or bothersome to someone else, I won't engage in it in their presence.

When someone comes over that doesn't like cats, they (the animals) go to the back of the house, behind a closed door.
If someone finds certain language offensive, I'll not curse or say certain things around them. Not like saying they are right, but just as a courtesy to another. I mean, none of this is really putting me out, and it's being decent to others.

Relating this to religion, and pushing it on others, it's the same to me like people who sit in the same area with you, playing music, without a thought as to whether the other person wants to hear it. I feel that's very disrespectful, assuming you want to listen to what they want.

Just the way I personally feel someone should not stick their preference for entertainment in your face, they shouldn't do so with religion.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 12:01 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
Steve 41oo wrote:
Chai Tea wrote:

I don't like curry, bleech, yuck. However, you'd never know it if you were having a meal with me, and ordered it. Why should I potentially make you uncomfortable?

I dunno, in general, if I realize somethings annoying or bothersome to someone else, I won't engage in it in their presence.

When someone comes over that doesn't like cats, they (the animals) go to the back of the house, behind a closed door.
If someone finds certain language offensive, I'll not curse or say certain things around them. Not like saying they are right, but just as a courtesy to another. I mean, none of this is really putting me out, and it's being decent to others.

Relating this to religion, and pushing it on others, it's the same to me like people who sit in the same area with you, playing music, without a thought as to whether the other person wants to hear it. I feel that's very disrespectful, assuming you want to listen to what they want.

Just the way I personally feel someone should not stick their preference for entertainment in your face, they shouldn't do so with religion.
I know you were just being polite...showing common courtesy

I was making a joke. It sounded like eating a ham sandwich was pretty messy with you, not something attracting respect or approval. Hence my quip about having something (anything) easier to eat. Ham's got nowt to do with it Wink
0 Replies

real life

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 12:30 pm
Steve 41oo wrote:
Well I must admit to being religophobic....its not a crime (yet) is it?

I dont differentiate between superstition, religion, crystal dangling etc etc, although I will admit some stuff is relatively benign.

But what irritates me is their arrogance and self delusion. If those who set themselves up as figures of spiritual or relgious importance were honest they would say just the same as anyone else...i.e. we dont have a clue about the real nature of divinity, its all just myth and legend passed down to us. But they dont. They claim real knowledge about that which is unknowable and end up bamboozling the gullible and enjoying the fruits of the power it brings them.

Meanwhile some ideas are truly harmful. An obvious example being religious inspired terrorism.

How does one 'know' whether or not something is 'unknowable'?

Isn't it simply rather that you can say 'honestly I don't know, but you may know'?

Wouldn't it require omniscience to 'know' all that is knowable, or whether something is 'unknowable' to others? (Of course, if you're omniscient , it wouldn't be 'unknowable' to you.)

Religiophobic behavior is dangerous when one starts advocating locking up people for their beliefs.

I agree that some actions, such as terrorism, are harmful. But are you also going to start jailing people for their ideas?

If I think 'I hate that guy and wish he were dead', are you ready to jail me? Or shouldn't we, as free societies have traditionally done, punish 'wrong actions' rather than 'wrong thoughts'?
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 12:49 pm
Someone was just at my door asking me if I believed in a world where no one got sick, quoting the bible and asking me if I thought god would deliver on his promise.

It struck me that for those who consider such fanaticism an illness, that question from such a person is hillarious...
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 01:12 pm
Cyracuz wrote:
Someone was just at my door asking me if I believed in a world where no one got sick, quoting the bible and asking me if I thought god would deliver on his promise.

It struck me that for those who consider such fanaticism an illness, that question from such a person is hillarious...

Did you in return ask them, when they were ready to end their search for the Lord himself, and they need to seek no further, now that they were standing on his doorstep? Then proceed to tell them to give the Lord all their money?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 01:13 pm
Real Life wrote:
How does one 'know' whether or not something is 'unknowable'?

Dunno. Didnt Donald Rumsfeld say something about this? All that we know comes from observation. Observation itself is bounded by space time. Therefore the proposition that we live in a Multiverse can only ever be conjecture or metaphysics. Same I would suggest with pontifications about the nature of God.

Real Life wrote:
Isn't it simply rather that you can say 'honestly I don't know, but you may know'?
Not if we both have access to the same information.

Real Life wrote:
Wouldn't it require omniscience to 'know' all that is knowable, or whether something is 'unknowable' to others? (Of course, if you're omniscient , it wouldn't be 'unknowable' to you.)
I dont think omniscience is achievable. But just because we dont know everything, it does not follow there is an omniscient God who does.

Real Life wrote:
Religiophobic behavior is dangerous when one starts advocating locking up people for their beliefs.
I advocated locking up only those who actively harm children by blighting their susceptible minds with images that do them real damage often for the rest of their lives. Are you going to lock me up for being religiophobic? I agree religion is nothing more than a set of ideas. Do you agree, if one changes one's ideas, that one should be put to death, as do Muslims? The punishment for apostasy in Islam is death.

Real Life wrote:
I agree that some actions, such as terrorism, are harmful. But are you also going to start jailing people for their ideas?
No. Except in the case of harming children, see above. Its religious people who want to punish others for not having the same ideas they do. If you are saying that is patently absurd, I agree.

Real Life wrote:
If I think 'I hate that guy and wish he were dead', are you ready to jail me? Or shouldn't we, as free societies have traditionally done, punish 'wrong actions' rather than 'wrong thoughts'?
No. You can have as many horrible thoughts as you wish. Just dont act on them, and dont (in your example) spread them to others, thats incitement to murder.
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 02:56 pm
slappy wrote:
Did you in return ask them, when they were ready to end their search for the Lord himself, and they need to seek no further, now that they were standing on his doorstep? Then proceed to tell them to give the Lord all their money?

hehe.. they'd never believe me anyway. I don't think I could carry it off. But I'll give it a try next time.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 03:29 pm
Cyracuz wrote:
slappy wrote:

hehe.. they'd never believe me anyway. I don't think I could carry it off. But I'll give it a try next time.

off the subject (so what's new Rolling Eyes ) some guy knocked on my door last night and when I answered he said "Oh hi! I'm from Time Warner cable, and....(he stopped for a second and got a panicked look on his face, I think my beauty stunned him).....well, I see you don't have any Time Warner services."

I said...

"Yes, you're right. Thanks for stopping by and reminding me."

then I shut the door and locked it.
0 Replies

Eorl

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 03:56 pm
Chai Tea,

Ain't there a law that says all cross dressers have to wear clothes when they answer the door?
0 Replies

Cyracuz

Reply Thu 4 Jan, 2007 03:58 pm
Don't you have to wear something to be cross dressed. Otherwise you're just naked Smile
0 Replies