Born Agains: where did you screw up?

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 07:50 am
FreeDuck wrote:
You left off "gum stealer and liar to parents". I was born again at the ripe old age of 6. At 14, I died again.

Laughing
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 07:53 am
flushd wrote:
What boggles my mind is...why is that born-agains are almost always horrible dancers?
<shrug>

Apparently you have only danced with white fundamentalists.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 08:11 am
Bartikus wrote:

How many born again women do you know in the world?

One hundred and forty seven exactly.

and stop spreading gossip that I'm a slut.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 08:32 am
excuse me but what exactly is a "born-again"? How would I recognise one? And what do they do with the umbilical cord?
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 08:35 am
flushd wrote:
What boggles my mind is...why is that born-agains are almost always horrible dancers?

Because they're white.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 08:38 am
Steve 41oo wrote:
excuse me but what exactly is a "born-again"? How would I recognise one? And what do they do with the umbilical cord?

They're "born again" from their sins, my chile. Typically because they f*cked up somewhere in life, aren't very emotionally stable, and latch on to the good ol' Lawdy to save them. Except once they accept Jesus(I pronounce it 'hey-zoos'), they annoy the ever living piss out of everyone around them while trying to preach the word of the lawdy.

But, I guess it's a better road for them compared to blowing Japanese businessmen in alleys for crack money.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 08:42 am
Steve 41oo wrote:

John 3:3-21 (New International Version)
New International Version (NIV)
Copyright © 1973, 1978, 1984 by International Bible Society

3In reply Jesus declared, "I tell you the truth, no one can see the kingdom of God unless he is born again.[a]"

4"How can a man be born when he is old?" Nicodemus asked. "Surely he cannot enter a second time into his mother's womb to be born!"

5Jesus answered, "I tell you the truth, no one can enter the kingdom of God unless he is born of water and the Spirit. 6Flesh gives birth to flesh, but the Spirit
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 09:04 am
Ok thanks. So it has something to do with being or not being a Christian. Can you be a "born again" born again? That would be BA2.

You must forgive these questions, Britain is as I'm sure you know, a mainly druid pagan muslim secular country.

As we speak our very own Dear Leader is being "entertained" in your country by a bisexual druid priestess from Northern Ireland.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 09:41 am
Steve 41oo wrote:
Ok thanks. So it has something to do with being or not being a Christian. Can you be a "born again" born again? That would be BA2.

You must forgive these questions, Britain is as I'm sure you know, a mainly druid pagan muslim secular country.

As we speak our very own Dear Leader is being "entertained" in your country by a bisexual druid priestess from Northern Ireland.

Well steve, no need for forgiveness, that is unless you're a born again.

Seriously, I didn't know much/anything about all this business while I was growing up.

When I grew up in New Jersey, (born in '58) you were either a Catholic, Jew or Protestant. As far as I could see, you believed what you believed and didn't make a big deal about it. If you didn't have any beliefs religiously, well, I don't remember anyone concerning themselves with that either.

My parents sent me to Catholic school, but honestly, I didn't know anyone who was over religious. We had all been baptised and confirmed, and it seemed that if you didn't do anything really horrible, you were ok. Of course we learned about Martin Luther and his reformation and all that, and that led to protestantism, but they didn't seem to be much different except in some stuff they didn't have to do, like go to church every sunday. When I was about 17 I made my first friend who was a protestant, and that sorta facinated me for a little while. Why, she looked normal.

I moved from NJ at about 20, so apparantly all this born again stuff up there has happened since I left.

The main difference I can see is that instead of minding their own bees wax and letting a person figure out their own beliefs, they are compelled to announce to you that they are "saved". It's kinda like when someone is a vegetarian and they need to announce to you in a restaurant that they don't eat meat....Like as if you would have noticed.

The thing is, those who have "come to Jesus" believe they need to spread the word to others, and hopefully bring you into the fold, so you too will be saved.

I live in an urban enough environment now that it doesn't happen that much, but I've had my share of sitting somewhere, let's say getting your oil changed, and the following happens....
You'll be sitting there, and someone starts to chat with you, which I'm all for. Then....they will suddenly, with or without any connection to the conversation, mentioned their church, say something about Jesus, and ask you if you are saved....No ****, they actually come out and ask "Are you a Christian"? or "Are you saved"?

Then they can't pick up that the conversation has gotten akward because you really don't feel like talking to them anymore.

If you let them know in any way you don't share their beliefs, they'll want to "discuss" it with you, and if you decline...then they'll tell you that they are going to pray for you.

For me, it's the same feeling like if you're chatting with a stranger, and all of a sudden, you realize they are trying to sell you some Amway products.

Of course the christians may now come here and refute all that, but I'm just telling you what actually happens.

OH! The more subtle ones, and people who you actually know, may try to slip it in more quietly, like by more than occassionally mentioning church functions, and telling you about how they prayed about something, and so forth, and kinda wait to see what your reaction is.

Here's a good one....Once I was standing at the car wash, looking at the cars going through. This woman was standing next to me with her little boy, about 5. He was of course facinated by the cars. When he saw his, he said "There's our car! There's our car!" the way any kid would.
The mother started in with "Thank you Jesus! Look, Jesus is getting our car clean. Thank you Jesus!"

wow.

Anyway, the kid was like 2 inches from me and said "What are those orange things there" The mother didn't answer, so I said "Those are the rollers that push the car along. See how they go up against the tires"?

The woman glared at me, grabbed the kid by the arm and quickly moved about 10 feet away. Then she started in with the "Thank you Jesus" stuff again.

Funny thing, her car was probably going to get dried off by someone named Hey-Zeus anyway.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 09:43 am
Two more years until 50, Chai, eh?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 09:44 am
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:
Two more years until 50, Chai, eh?

Yeah, I just turned 48 on Dec 2.

Praise Jesus.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 10:16 am
You should have said that those little orange things were the rollers of Jesus and that he was using them to wash the tires -- tires that Jesus made. That would've been the christian thing to do.
0 Replies

sunlover

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 10:50 am
I no longer have anything whatever to say to "born again" whatevertheyare people and have no idea what that phrase means to them. We moved to Marble Falls, TX from Michigan and I lived among 'em for four years. Crap, they were everywhere - having meetings in the neighborhood, hanging notices of those 'discover your life's purpose' classes even in the barn where we boarded horses. Once there was a huge banner above the town's main street announcing this class. Anywhere we went the question would come up as to 'what religion are you?" How rude.

This is extremely repugnant to me because my sister became one of those people who walks around knocking on doors trying to convert everyone to her particular religion -- you know, those who consider themselves "witnesses" to something. She has the strongest personality I've ever seen, anywhere. We rarely speak. She's a very intelligent person, finished high school at 15, made straight A's without studying, a true "star" in sports. Where did she go? I miss her.

So, now we live near Austin and I like seeing all the different people, and so many things to do.
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 12:16 pm
Chai Tea wrote:

Well steve, no need for forgiveness, that is unless you're a born again.

Seriously, I didn't know much/anything about all this business while I was growing up.

When I grew up in New Jersey, (born in '58) you were either a Catholic, Jew or Protestant. As far as I could see, you believed what you believed and didn't make a big deal about it. If you didn't have any beliefs religiously, well, I don't remember anyone concerning themselves with that either.

My parents sent me to Catholic school, but honestly, I didn't know anyone who was over religious. We had all been baptised and confirmed, and it seemed that if you didn't do anything really horrible, you were ok. Of course we learned about Martin Luther and his reformation and all that, and that led to protestantism, but they didn't seem to be much different except in some stuff they didn't have to do, like go to church every sunday. When I was about 17 I made my first friend who was a protestant, and that sorta facinated me for a little while. Why, she looked normal.

I moved from NJ at about 20, so apparantly all this born again stuff up there has happened since I left.

The main difference I can see is that instead of minding their own bees wax and letting a person figure out their own beliefs, they are compelled to announce to you that they are "saved". It's kinda like when someone is a vegetarian and they need to announce to you in a restaurant that they don't eat meat....Like as if you would have noticed.

The thing is, those who have "come to Jesus" believe they need to spread the word to others, and hopefully bring you into the fold, so you too will be saved.

I live in an urban enough environment now that it doesn't happen that much, but I've had my share of sitting somewhere, let's say getting your oil changed, and the following happens....
You'll be sitting there, and someone starts to chat with you, which I'm all for. Then....they will suddenly, with or without any connection to the conversation, mentioned their church, say something about Jesus, and ask you if you are saved....No ****, they actually come out and ask "Are you a Christian"? or "Are you saved"?

Then they can't pick up that the conversation has gotten akward because you really don't feel like talking to them anymore.

If you let them know in any way you don't share their beliefs, they'll want to "discuss" it with you, and if you decline...then they'll tell you that they are going to pray for you.

For me, it's the same feeling like if you're chatting with a stranger, and all of a sudden, you realize they are trying to sell you some Amway products.

Of course the christians may now come here and refute all that, but I'm just telling you what actually happens.

OH! The more subtle ones, and people who you actually know, may try to slip it in more quietly, like by more than occassionally mentioning church functions, and telling you about how they prayed about something, and so forth, and kinda wait to see what your reaction is.

Here's a good one....Once I was standing at the car wash, looking at the cars going through. This woman was standing next to me with her little boy, about 5. He was of course facinated by the cars. When he saw his, he said "There's our car! There's our car!" the way any kid would.
The mother started in with "Thank you Jesus! Look, Jesus is getting our car clean. Thank you Jesus!"

wow.

Anyway, the kid was like 2 inches from me and said "What are those orange things there" The mother didn't answer, so I said "Those are the rollers that push the car along. See how they go up against the tires"?

The woman glared at me, grabbed the kid by the arm and quickly moved about 10 feet away. Then she started in with the "Thank you Jesus" stuff again.

Funny thing, her car was probably going to get dried off by someone named Hey-Zeus anyway.
Quite fascinating CT thanks. Of course I did know about born again Christians, but it never ceases to amaze me how so many Americans have fallen for supersition and religiousity. The evangelicals are trying to make in roads here, the Peneal (SP?) ministry not to far from here keeps putting up expensive bill boards advertising themselves (where do they get the money?). Unfortunately they have friends in high places, a while back Blair was all for faith schools and the like (the particular brand of faith did not matter). Over the centuries we have had more of our share of religious strife. Perhaps thats why most people now are turned off completely by religion... (80% + of all Brits believe religion does more harm than good). The sort of conversations you describe just dont happen here...thank God. Anyone who goes around teaching small children (their own or others) that Jesus is responsible for perfectly ordinary processes of daily life deserves to be locked up on grounds of child abuse imo.

I'm reminded of the story about an American who gets into a taxi in Belfast.

Will you take me to East Belfast please. Driver says are you Catholic or Protestant?

Does it matter?

Only if you want to go there

I'm neither, I'm American

But are you American Catholic or Protestant?

Look I'm neither, I'm Jewish, from Brooklyn. Just take me to east Belfast.

Ok...But are you Catholic or Protestant Jew?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 12:41 pm
Fella from London goes to Belfast, gets as drunk as a lord, and wanders off from his friends. Suddenly, he realizes he is lost, and as he wanders a dark street, a dark figure suddenly looms in front of him, a man in an anorak and a balaclava, with a pistol in his hand:

What religion are ye? ! ? ! ?

Oh Hell, thinks yer man, if i tell him i'm Protestant, i might have wandered into a Catholic neighborhood, and i'm dead--but if i tell him i'm Catholic, what if i'm still in a Protestant neighborhood? Suddenly, he is inspired:

I'm a Jew ! ! !

Aye, and i'm the luckiest Arab in Belfast!
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 04:50 pm
Setanta wrote:
Fella from London goes to Belfast, gets as drunk as a lord, and wanders off from his friends. Suddenly, he realizes he is lost, and as he wanders a dark street, a dark figure suddenly looms in front of him, a man in an anorak and a balaclava, with a pistol in his hand:

Oh Hell, thinks yer man, if i tell him i'm Protestant, i might have wandered into a Catholic neighborhood, and i'm dead--but if i tell him i'm Catholic, what if i'm still in a Protestant neighborhood? Suddenly, he is inspired:

I'm a Jew ! ! !

actually set that was the joke I failed to recall from the deepest recess of my semi drunken mind.

How you go ya here?
0 Replies

Steve 41oo

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 04:54 pm
Steve 41oo wrote:
Setanta wrote:

I'm a Jew ! ! !

actually set that was the joke I failed to recall from the deepest recess of my semi drunken mind.

How you go ya here?
(oh dear semi sober moment here, sorry)
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 07:28 pm
I'll pray for your drunken soul steverino.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 29 Dec, 2006 08:12 pm
You are a kind soul, Chai. I shall pray for you, and that Heyzoos will wash away your sins, you ignorant slut.
0 Replies

real life

Reply Sat 30 Dec, 2006 12:23 am
Chai Tea wrote:
real life wrote:
Chai Tea wrote:
In my experience, most born again women turn in vicious gossips.

Thanks for passing along your own vicious gossip.

Well, thanks for the sarcastic input dear.

Gossip is when you are spreading heresay.

I can attest to my personal experience. I damn near lost a job because some born again, because this was a small but overwhelmingly "good christian community"

Apparantly she saw me at the gym and said hello, but, unfortunately I had headphone on and didn't hear her. Instead of walking around to where I could see her ass and take off my headphones, instead she spread the word how unfriendly I was. This woman didn't work with me, but spread the word how "unfriendly and unchristian" I was, and she didn't think I should be in the position I was in.
Because the politics of the born agains was quite in charge where I worked, I was literally brought up in front of both my direct supervisor and the big boss "to explain myself"
I didn't even know what they were talking about.

Let's see, mmm....when a good christian woman invited me to go to church with her, and I told her I was going out of town that weekend (true), she spread it around that I was going off "drinking and sleeping around" every weekend...uh, definatley not true.

Oh, when I introduced my then fiance, now husband of 13 years to a third lovely born again, she quickly informed everyone I was "with" an "old man".....first off, So?
2nd off, I suppose "old" is a subjective term.

and then....there's YOU...accusing me of gossiping viciously....mmmm..hmmm.

see, it's gossip when you're not the one doing it.

I mean, gossip would be if I manufactured something about you....or anyone, to embellish a story and sway opinions.

My statement was based on my empirical experience.

Your experience was with a handful of people.

Your statement broadbrushed 'most born again women'.

What is gossip, if it is not exaggeration and vilification?

And if you didn't mean to sway opinions, I wonder why you posted it.
0 Replies