Will you eat cloned food products?

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 09:03 am
Quote:

A Moral issue?

Code:The public seems skeptical about changing that. In a poll taken earlier this year, 65 percent called cloning animals morally wrong. Another poll found that 45 percent opposed using cloning in food production.

If FDA approval goes through, the question is how and whether cloned meat and milk will be clearly marked so consumers know what they're buying. Experts say that may be unlikely.

"It's very possible that these products will end up on the grocery store shelves without any specific label identifying them as having come from cloned animals," said Michael Fernandez, executive director of the Pew Initiative on Food and Biotechnology.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,459 • Replies: 23
No top replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 11:28 am
Ok, I thought it was an interesting topic for discussion. Nevermind.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 11:32 am
I would have absolutely no problem with it.

As an aside, I hear there's about 150 cloned cattle right now, so it's not like it's going to be on special at the supermarket next week.

I simply cannot see where this would be any kind of heath issue. Another example of people having to have something to get all excited about.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 11:36 am
Kinda reminds of all the hoopla about "radiated" foods a few years ago.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 11:58 am
I can't find a link but in the May, 2006, issue of Harper's Nathanael Johnson's Letter from Iowa, "Swine of the Times: The Making of the Modern Pig" I learned that cloning may not be necessary.

Thanks to in-breeding and the wonders of AI with semen from standardized boars pigs are now standardized.

Quote:
For instance, as swine carcasses move down the conveyor belt, at Hormel's Austin, Minnesota, packing plant,they hit a curved knife, which slices the cylindrical loin from the inside of the body cavity. If the animals aren't just te right proportions, the knife will hit the wrong spot, wasting meat or cutting into bone.
0 Replies

mac11

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 12:46 pm
I'd have no problem eating food from cloned animals.
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 12:57 pm
peel off the skin, and they are all the same..
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 02:14 pm
I'm pissed that it won't be labelled/identified.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 02:21 pm
Mmmmm.... Soulless food.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 02:54 pm
ehBeth wrote:
I'm pissed that it won't be labelled/identified.

Why?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 02:59 pm
OK, let me elaborate my "why"?

Would you not buy it if it was cloned?
If you would not then buy it, why not?

If you would buy it anyway, why do you care if it's labeled or not?

Or, as a third aspect, would you be looking specifically to buy cloned meat, and want the label so you know it is cloned?

In that event, why would you buy cloned meat over non-cloned?

I won't consider "Right to Know" a sufficient answer.
0 Replies

CowDoc

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 08:59 am
"Cloned" certainly is not equivalent to "genetically engineered", if that makes any difference. Cloning is merely the production of identical offspring without going through the breeding process. Considering the extent of artificial insemination in the cattle industry over the past half century, I fail to see how much difference cloning could make. I am sure, however, that it makes a difference to some people who may not understand. We see that on a daily basis.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 11:04 am
Cowdoc--

Off topic here, but our vet's office is full of dog-owning locals bringing their animals in for "temperment" shots.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 11:12 am
dyslexia wrote:
Will you eat cloned food products?

Sure. Why not?
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 11:16 am
So where to they get all these people during these "man on the street" interviews to confess how hesitant they are about all this?

They probably had to ask about 100 people to get the 3 or 4 they televise.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 11:43 am
Chai Tea wrote:
They probably had to ask about 100 people to get the 3 or 4 they televise.

Or perhaps we at A2K are just not a representative sample. There isn't much reason to expect that the general population feels similarly about this matter than the membership of this community.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 11:49 am
I would even eat meat from a cow that cheated on his girlfriend.

I just don't care, I'm a rebel.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 11:49 am
I thought the "moral issue" was an interesting sidebar to this issue.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 12:05 pm
I think the moral issues have a much heavier impact when talking about cloning humans.
0 Replies

Thomas

Reply Thu 28 Dec, 2006 02:51 pm
dyslexia wrote:
I thought the "moral issue" was an interesting sidebar to this issue.

Why? Why would anyone have a moral issue with artificially creating identical twins of animals, but not have a moral issue with killing it and eating it? Which animal, if given a choice, would rather be slaughtered than cloned? None in its right mind I suppose.
0 Replies