Gerald Ford Was Going To Be Reagans Runiing Mate?

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 08:37 am
that's what I'm hearing on CNN. Now if tihs is true, and it could have happened, than why can't Bill Clinton run with Hillary or another Dem presidential candidate?

It's a serious question.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,677 • Replies: 4
No top replies

kelticwizard

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 08:57 am
Because Ford had at least one more term of Presidential eligibility left. I don't know if he had two, but he had one.

You cannot be Vice President if you are not eligible to be President, and Bill Clinton is no longer eligible to be President, having served the maximum two terms.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 08:59 am
Clinton served 2 full terms as elected president.

Wikipedia has a nice article about it here.
0 Replies

joefromchicago

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 09:07 am
I remember those rumors during the opening hours of the Republican national convention in 1980. Reagan, who was assured of the nomination, was casting about for a running-mate when Ford's name came up. Reagan and Ford had a bruising fight for the nomination in 1976, and Reagan still thought that he needed to appease the "moderate" wing of the party by choosing someone to his left as his running mate. In the end, he chose GHW Bush, who had run as a moderate during the 1980 primaries but who gladly "drank the Kool-Aid" of anti-abortionism and supply-side economics. It's unlikely that Ford would have been so accomodating, which is probably why he wasn't chosen.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 27 Dec, 2006 09:14 am
asked and answered.... thanks folks.
0 Replies