Did Farmers Branch do right?

Baldimo

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 02:58 pm
Source
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is this a good idea for the city to take this into their own hands? I think it is. If the govt isn't doing what it needs to do then it should be left to the states or even the cities to take care of business.

What do you think?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 785 • Replies: 10
No top replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 03:39 pm
A city (or county) near Atlanta just passed a similar law. I think it's a waste of time. You can't force individuals to act as federal law enforcement. If I were a landlord, how would I know if the green card or work permit I was looking at was real? What kinds of documentation show that a person is legally in this country? How many ways are there to be in this country legally? It's an unfair burden on landlords and virtually unenforceable.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 03:40 pm
Here it is -- Cherokee county.

http://www.ajc.com/news/content/shared/news/stories/2006/12/metIllegal1204a_2DOT.html
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 03:44 pm
Well, if a municipality can just overtake federal duties legally - why not.

Seems, they have money and stuff enough to do so.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 03:48 pm
We outta be requiring proof of legal resident status for everything. Housing, shopping, travel, banking, etc.

Betcha it'd reduce identity theft, too.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 03:53 pm
under canadian law municipal and provincial laws cannot be enacted to "supplement" federal laws .
i believe there have been a few cases where municipalities or provinces have enacted laws that were "outside their jurisdiction" - the lawsuits were quickly thrown out in court .
i understand that in canada the "boundaries" of who can establish and enforce laws , are drawn quite tightly .
the feds don't like the idea of provinces and municipalities "usurping power " .
hbg
0 Replies

Walter Hinteler

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 03:54 pm
As far as I know, hamburger, that's done the very same in other democracies, too.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 03:59 pm
I'm thinking the good citizens (gabachos) of Framers Branch (or any other community) that wants to (defend themselves) from aliens they should be deputized and armed and demanded to enforce their own laws re immigrants and others. Get all the neighoood to carry guns and knives and if they enocunter as suspected "illegal alien," cut them if they stand and shoot them if they run. We have more than we need of Canadians coming here for the medical care, the welfare dime and the public education. However, if the
"aliens" have brown skin just shoot them on sight no questions needed.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 07:35 pm
I would be somewhat surprised if a landlord has a legal right to demand work documents. Maybe the can, but like I say, I would be surprised. Now, INS sends instructions to employers telling, describing, and showing what documents permit an individual to work in the U.S. Who is going to undertake this chore so each landlord may stay within the law. I do not favor illegal immigration by any stretch, but this sounds like just one more case of assigning responsibility without also granting authority.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 08:11 pm
http://www.thespoof.com/news/spoof.cfm?headline=s2i10414
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Tue 26 Dec, 2006 09:38 pm
What sane person would want to live in Farmer's Branch?
0 Replies