Well I guess Santa just doesn't like you very much.

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 09:31 am
Most of Mo's gifts come from Santa.

The kids on the street have marveled at how big Mo's stocking is.

Mo's stocking really isn't that big - not nearly big enough to hold all the Santa loot he's getting.

I have heard several children express dissappointment in the gifts that Santa has brought in years past (socks and other necessities).

I know they will compare notes on Santa loot.

Is it okay if I say "You must have been a horrid child while Mo has been an absolute dream so Santa loves him more than you"?

Or is there a better way to handle this?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,674 • Replies: 21
No top replies

Intrepid

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 09:32 am
There is a better way to handle this.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 09:35 am
I was teasing.

I know there is a better way to handle this but I'm not sure what it is.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 09:48 am
Okay, okay, so Santa knows you stock a more "comforting" grade of egg nog.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 09:50 am
I'm not sure either.

It does remind me of one Xmas where one of my cousins was forgotten by Santa.
That's right. On Christmas morning, he woke up to an empty stocking and nothing under the tree.
His sisters however cashed in.

I'll never forget that. My cousin spent that day at our house.

Anyways, I don't think it matter so much to be truthful. The kids got presents right? Their disappointment at socks and other presents won't be deep.
Any lame response will be fine.

Curious now..how do parents explain about the kids that don't get anything?
0 Replies

riviere

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 10:07 am
"Santa knows that you are a very good, kind and caring kid, that you care about all the poor kids in the world. He knew your kind heart, and he shared a part of your toys with ones who would not have any gifts this year otherwise. This was a part of his Present to you."

Something along this idea of "Christmas is giving" would hopefully explain their stockings somewhat, and orient a bit toward the true meaning of Christmas.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 10:11 am
flushed, what a horrible experience for your cousin. Why did his
sisters receive gifts/cash and he got none? Those are memories a child
will never forget - ever!

riviere has a great answer. Welcome to a2k, by the way Smile
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 10:13 am
How about this?

"Because you made sure Santa's helpers would be able to read your wish list. Maybe they couldn't read some of the writing on the lists those other kids sent."

This way you won't get caught in that lie later if you talk about Santa's helpers and not Santa. Tell Mo how proud he should be of himself for learning to write legibly so he will always be clearly understood. You're not making comparisons of him to other kids that way.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 10:21 am
flushd - that is a sad story. Was there ever an explaination for why this happened?

Hi riviere and welcome to A2K. That is a good answer but I think it kind of leaves Mo holding the "bad" bag. I take pains to make sure that he understands the importance of giving. His "give" list has to be at least as long as his "get" list. Plus, we have made several sizable donations to chairties recently.

Mo's only in kindergarten and can't write hardly at all! The neighborhood kids are all a bit older and write much better.

Within his social circle kids that don't get anything really isn't an issue - except for the kids that don't "do" Christmas and Mo understands that part of things. As far as explaining about other kids -- that's why we give to charity -- another thing he understands and participates in.
0 Replies

flushd

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 10:25 am
That is a good one, riviere.

CJane,
My aunt was - is - a drunk and always did xmas shopping at the last minute.
She literally forgot about him. Completely.

Stupid thing is, she could have easily made good by saying the presents were on the way or some such thing. But she told him instead that it must have been because of how bad he had been. They had a good laugh at his expense. Crying or Very sad

Hadn't really thought about all but no wonder I loathe drunks. That is nasty.

(sorry for the glum mini spontaneous therapy here, all ) :wink:
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 10:37 am
Comparisons like this are a kid thing, I think, year-round. My yard is better than your yard, I have more action figures than you do, your dog is smellier than my dog. No stopping them, and I don't think it necessarily needs to be handled unless it becomes the basis of a real conflict. (I think most of the time it's an exchange that goes on for a bit -- "my dog might be smellier but my cat is way cuter" -- and then fades, no particular harm done.)
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 10:46 am
Here's hoping you're right, soz!

Most of the time the kids play here so I don't really see those kind of comparison things happening. Hanging up Mo's stocking was the first I had seen of it.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 10:48 am
I don't see much of it either yet, I think it's more with older kids, but it's something I remember as a kid and something I remember reading about when I was doing the whole education gig.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 12:42 pm
Kids compare loot--and eventually they acquire some tact.

Some kids are going to make personal comments, "Boy, you got a lot of stuff." Observe that they probably got a lot of stuff too and ask for details.

If they want to get pushy personal about Mo's gifts, say firmly that this is his first year of being adopted which means the first year that Santa has had a firm, fixed address.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 12:49 pm
Why would you ever have to answer to neighborhood kids? I don't think you should have to explain anything. But what do I know...all my kids have been dropped off in the middle of the woods when they were just days old.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 01:25 pm
"Santa had to make up for how cheap Mo's parents are."
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 01:25 pm
Slappy surely you've learned that girls are nosey.

Girls between the ages of 7 and 9 are spies. "Pushy and personal" describe just about everything out of their mouths!

Quote:
... this is his first year of being adopted which means the first year that Santa has had a firm, fixed address.

Yay! That'll work!
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 01:35 pm
Well, yeah, DrewDad but the guitar is from me and Mr. B. since Santa won't be around to enforce lessons and practice and the she-hooligans will know that wasn't cheap.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 01:36 pm
Quote:
Girls between the ages of 7 and 9 are spies. "Pushy and personal" describe just about everything out of their mouths!

...and this is how they develop People Smarts, Reflective Listening and the ability for Character Analysis.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Sat 23 Dec, 2006 01:44 pm
tell them all that Santa is actually and acronym for Satan... and that if they're bad and complain instead of being thankful and grateful for what they did get that next year Santa/Satan and his demon elves will come down the chimney on Christmas Eve and take them to hell where they will be tortured for eternity.

Then pat them all on their heads and tuck them TIGHT in their beds.......

Happy Holidays.....
0 Replies