Baldimo

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 12:18 pm
A Commack School District bus driver says he nearly lost his job because he refused to take off his Santa Claus cap while driving his route.

With his long white beard and generous midriff, 65-year-old Kenneth Mott bears more than a passing resemblance to St. Nick. The Bayport resident says he has been wearing his furry red-and-white hat every December since he started working for the Baumann and Sons bus company, which transports students in the Commack School District, five years ago.

But after Mott completed his morning route on Thursday, shuttling kids to Rolling Hills Primary School and Commack Middle School, he said his supervisors at Baumann and Sons called and demanded that he take off his Santa hat.

Mott said he was told that a parent of a child complained to the district about Mott's headgear, saying that the child doesn't believe in Santa Claus and was bothered by the hat.

"I said, 'What, are you kidding me?,'" Mott recalled. "I thought it was a big joke."

He resolved to keep his hat on that afternoon.

"Nobody is going to tell me what I can do and can't do," said Mott, who added that he doesn't pretend to be Santa Claus while driving, nor does he play Christmas carols or decorate his bus. "This is America. I'm not hurting anybody."

Benedict Pressimone, who also drives a bus for Baumann, bought his own Santa hat to wear on his route after he heard the story.

"This is ridiculous," said Pressimone, of Holbrook. "We have to make a stand."

But Mott said that after he told parents that Friday might be his last day on the job because of the hat, supervisors suddenly had a change of heart and told him he could wear the hat after all.

Representatives of Baumann and Sons did not return calls for comment Monday.

Commack School District Superintendent James Feltman said he told the district's transportation supervisor that the hat could stay since it was not a religious object, was not distracting to the driver, and didn't interfere with the driver's duties.

Feltman said he received one call from a parent, in support of Mott and his hat.

Michele Morley, a member of the Rolling Hills PTA, said Mott "always" has worn his hat on his route. "The kids point him out: 'Look, there's Santa,'" she said.

Feltman called the dispute a misunderstanding of the district's policies, which allow everything from menorah ties to Christmas sweaters to Halloween costumes.

"On Halloween, do we tell teachers and staff and drivers not to wear Halloween outfits?" Feltman asked. "During holidays, do we tell teachers they can't wear sweaters that have Christmas trees?

"I think it comes mostly under the category of misunderstanding," he said.

Even though the dispute apparently is over, Mott said the issue has soured his holiday season.

"They sure took a lot of the joy out of my Christmas," he said.

Santa Hat gets to stay!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 1,407 • Replies: 20
No top replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 12:29 pm
I really feel sorry for that kid.

If Mo came home complaining that someone's hat "offended" him I'd laugh my ass off and explain that until he is Supreme Dictator of the Universe he doesn't get to call the shots for everyone else.

I can't believe a mother actually called and complained on behalf of Lil' Sweetie.

<sheesh>

What is this world coming to?
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 12:31 pm
The school bus driver should've disguised his hat as a turban, no complaint would've been raised.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 12:44 pm
What's the story here? A kid overreacted, a parent complained... and the school district stood up for the bus driver. I think all of us agree that the bus driver should be allowed to wear the Santa Claus hat.

Is there anyone here who thinks that bus drivers shouldn't be allowed to wear Santa hats???

There I thought not.

There is nothing controversial, or even interesting about this story.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 12:51 pm
ebrown_p wrote:
What's the story here? A kid overreacted, a parent complained... and the school district stood up for the bus driver. I think all of us agree that the bus driver should be allowed to wear the Santa Claus hat.

Is there anyone here who thinks that bus drivers shouldn't be allowed to wear Santa hats???

There I thought not.

Sure there is a story here. It is further attacks on Christmas by the PC crowd. While you guys don't see any problem with it the first reaction by the bus company was to tell the guy to remove his hat instead of telling the parent to screw off in a polite way.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 12:56 pm
Well, Baldimo...

I don't know who you think is in this PC crowd.

I think bus drivers should be able to wear Santa hats for Christmas. I would have stood up for this bus driver... as in this story apparently the school district and the PTA did.

I don't think anyone on A2K will disagree. I don't speak for everyyone, but I am on the left side of liberal here.

Why are you trying to make an argument where there is none?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 01:00 pm
The story says the child was confused because his/her parents had told him/her that there is no Santa. What does that have to do with what is or is not "politically correct?" As usual, your outrage depends upon unwarranted assumption.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 01:07 pm
I'm with boomerang.

That kid sounds like a spoiled snot.

I'd love to be there the first time he gets the **** beat out of him by someone who doesn't care if something they're doing "bothers" him.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 01:14 pm
This is not about the PC crowd. This is about a snobby bitch teaching her precious little Long Island whore-in-training how to be a self-obsessed f*cking c*nt when she grows up, just like her mother.

It's rather beautiful, really.
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 01:20 pm
That's a bit harsh Chai... the article doesn't say how old this poor kid is, but I picture a little 7 year old girl who is just figuring things out, combined with a worried mother (and as a parent sometimes you overreact).

This should have been solved with good will and communication. It sounds like it was solved with goodwill and communication.

Why do we need to turn everything into a fight?

What in reality was a little misunderstanding that all worked out in the end has to be turned into an "Attack on Santa hat" (as if the prevention of violence against articles of clothing was a major concern... Somehow I don't think wishing violence on this poor (perhaps misguided) little kid is an appropriate response.

This is Christmas after all... why are we so eager to look for a fight when there is no real disagreement?
0 Replies

Dartagnan

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 01:20 pm
It's a good thing there are those among us finding these examples of the War on Christmas. If we ignore them, the radical secularists will succeed in outlawing the holiday altogether...
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 01:25 pm
What I am glad is that the themes of forgivenes, goodwill and love for all mankind at the core of Christmas are kept alive...

...thanks to threads like this one.

Merry Christmas everyone...
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 01:27 pm
I would have taken my Santa hat and shoved it up the kids ass. That's what would have been done when I was that age!
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 01:33 pm
Yes, NickFun, that's the holiday spirit! Bastards! I'd like to squeeze a big fat Christmas log directly into that little brat's mother's mouth!
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 01:37 pm
This thread makes baby Jesus cry...

I'm leaving!
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 01:53 pm
kickycan wrote:
Yes, NickFun, that's the holiday spirit! Bastards! I'd like to squeeze a big fat Christmas log directly into that little brat's mother's mouth!

I hear you're very popular in Spain.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 01:55 pm
Yes, Drewdad. Yes, I am. Just call me, "El Caganer"
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 03:13 pm
ebrown_p wrote:

There I thought not.

I just hate posting on uninteresting topics, don't you.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 03:17 pm
Then why DO you LoneStar Madam? I find the subject interesting. It's similar to the 4 year old who was reprimanded and nearlt expelled for emabracing a teacher. It shows a decline in moral values and an egageration of political correctness.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 03:19 pm
Baldimo wrote:
ebrown_p wrote:

There I thought not.

Sure there is a story here. It is further attacks on Christmas by the PC crowd. While you guys don't see any problem with it the first reaction by the bus company was to tell the guy to remove his hat instead of telling the parent to screw off in a polite way.

It shows me that the school district supervisory employees need a heck of a lot more training in problem solving and communication skills. That lack of training problem will be there whether or not there is a holiday.
0 Replies