NY Times Finally Publishes Op-Ed 'Redacted' by C.I.A.

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 10:37 am
NY Times Finally Publishes Op-Ed 'Redacted' by C.I.A.
By E&P Staff
Published: December 22, 2006

For days, it was an open secret that The New York Times was holding an Op-Ed piece after the Central Intelligence Agency objected to publication of parts of it. It's written by Flynt Leverett, a former senior director for Middle East affairs at the National Security Council. and Hillary Mann, a former Foreign Service officer.

The Times finally published it Friday -- with sections literally blacked out. A full (redacted) version can be found at the paper's Web site,
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/22/opinion/22precede.html
The intro/explanation by the authors follows.

Here is the redacted version of a draft Op-Ed article we wrote for The Times, as blacked out by the Central Intelligence Agency's Publication Review Board after the White House intervened in the normal prepublication review process and demanded substantial deletions. Agency officials told us that they had concluded on their own that the original draft included no classified material, but that they had to bow to the White House.

Indeed, the deleted portions of the original draft reveal no classified material. These passages go into aspects of American-Iranian relations during the Bush administration's first term that have been publicly discussed by Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice; former Secretary of State Colin Powell; former Deputy Secretary of State Richard Armitage; a former State Department policy planning director, Richard Haass; and a former special envoy to Afghanistan, James Dobbins.

These aspects have been extensively reported in the news media, and one of us, Mr. Leverett, has written about them in The Times and other publications with the explicit permission of the review board. We provided the following citations to the board to demonstrate that all of the material the White House objected to is already in the public domain. Unfortunately, to make sense of much of our Op-Ed article, readers will have to read the citations for themselves.

The decisions of the C.I.A. and the White House took us by surprise. Since leaving government service three and a half years ago, Mr. Leverett has put more than 20 articles through the C.I.A.'s prepublication review process and the Publication Review Board has never changed a word or asked the White House for permission to clear these articles.

What's more, we have spent a collective 20 years serving our country as career civil servants in national security, for both Republican and Democratic administrations. We know firsthand the importance of protecting sensitive information. But we also know the importance of shared knowledge. In the entrance to the C.I.A.'s headquarters the words of the Gospel of John are inscribed, "And ye shall know the truth and the truth shall set you free."

National security must be above politics. In a democracy, transparency in government has to be honored and protected. To classify information for reasons other than the safety and security of the United States and its interests is a violation of these principles. It is for this reason that we will continue to press for the release of the article without the material deleted.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 533 • Replies: 12
No top replies

parados

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 11:00 am
This WH is going beyond ridiculous in its attempt to burnish its image by preventing any criticism under the argument that it is national security.

Where is the congressional oversight? I was against impeachment but a lesson may need to be taught for future Presidents. You can't make up the rules.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 11:31 am
National security documents ahouldn't be kept secret anymore anyway, just waltz into the national archives & stuff some on your socks & jocks, no big deal.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 12:01 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:
National security documents ahouldn't be kept secret anymore anyway, just waltz into the national archives & stuff some on your socks & jocks, no big deal.

Laughing
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 12:08 pm
Wait a minute. I thought if the CIA declared something "secret," it's secret ... no questions asked. At least that seems to be the leftist viewpoint with regard to the Plame matter.

And I'm sorry ... a New York Times reporter claiming, "we know ... the importance of protecting sensitive information," is just too rich.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 12:10 pm
Laughing
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 12:14 pm
Aunt Bee's source wrote:
Agency officials told us that they had concluded on their own that the original draft included no classified material, but that they had to bow to the White House.

How convenient it is to ignore certain portions of the cited source.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 12:27 pm
Crying or Very sad
heehee
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 12:27 pm
Setanta wrote:
Aunt Bee's source wrote:
Agency officials told us that they had concluded on their own that the original draft included no classified material, but that they had to bow to the White House.

How convenient it is to ignore certain portions of the cited source.

Let me guess ... Agency officials who would speak only on the condition of anonymity?
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 12:55 pm
Funny how it can be secret when it is in all the papers.

All the redacted information has been previously published.
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 02:56 pm
parados wrote:
Funny how it can be secret when it is in all the papers.

All the redacted information has been previously published.

Funny the leftists are bitching about this ... since it's all been published already.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 08:32 pm
I wonder why the Bush WH considers information that has been published to suddenly be classified?

Why do you think that his Tico? Or are you going to play your game of throwing dust and hope no one notices?
0 Replies

Ticomaya

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 08:47 pm
parados wrote:
I wonder why the Bush WH considers information that has been published to suddenly be classified?

Why do you think that his Tico? Or are you going to play your game of throwing dust and hope no one notices?

I dunno, parados. What's your theory?

Too bad you can't just ask the anonymous sources.
0 Replies