U.S. Not Winning War in Iraq, Bush Says for 1st Time

Zippo

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 10:55 am
Quote:

By Peter Baker
Washington Post Staff Writer
Wednesday, December 20, 2006

President Bush acknowledged for the first time yesterday that the United States is not winning the war in Iraq and said he plans to expand the overall size of the "stressed" U.S. armed forces to meet the challenges of a long-term global struggle against terrorists...

washingtonpost

i.e. he's raising on a busted flush.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 404 • Replies: 4
No top replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 11:01 am
he also added we're not losing.... flip flop is the word people are so fond of isn't it?

Loser.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 11:03 am
Re: U.S. Not Winning War in Iraq, Bush Says for 1st Time
Zippo wrote:
Quote:

By Peter Baker

President Bush acknowledged for the first time yesterday that the United States is not winning the war in Iraq and said he plans to expand the overall size of the "stressed" U.S. armed forces to meet the challenges of a long-term global struggle against terrorists...

washingtonpost

hahah, great analogy!

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 10:26 pm
Wait a second. I just heard a soundbite from his press conference in which chuclkenuts says we are going to win in Iraq.

Just checked the transcript:

Reporter:
Thank you, Mr. President. In the latest CBS News poll, 50 percent of Americans say they favor a beginning of an end to U.S. military involvement in Iraq; 43 percent said, keep fighting, but change tactics. By this and many other measures, there is no clear mandate to continue being in Iraq in a military form. I guess my question is, are you still willing to follow a path that seems to be in opposition to the will of the American people?

CHUCKLENUTS: I am willing to follow a path that leads to victory, and that's exactly why we're conducting the review we are. Victory in Iraq is achievable. It hasn't happened nearly as quickly as I hoped it would have. I know it's -- the fact that there is still unspeakable sectarian violence in Iraq, I know that's troubling to the American people. But I also don't believe most Americans want us just to get out now. A lot of Americans understand the consequences of retreat. Retreat would embolden radicals. It would hurt the credibility of the United States. Retreat from Iraq would dash the hopes of millions who want to be free. Retreat from Iraq would enable the extremists and radicals to more likely be able to have safe haven from which to plot and plan further attacks.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Wed 20 Dec, 2006 10:46 pm
Re: U.S. Not Winning War in Iraq, Bush Says for 1st Time
Zippo wrote:
Quote:

By Peter Baker

washingtonpost

I have never heard such a convoluted answer as Bush gave to that reporter that asked why he changed his mind about absolutely winning to we're not winning but we're not losing, Bush said er, ah, uh, that is, i was talking in the spiri...I think we'll win Rolling Eyes
0 Replies