Please sir - how can i configure my new vanilla phpbb board?

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 09:41 am
In templates/subsliver/subsilver.css

Find the following:

Code:/* General font families for common tags */
font, th, td, p { font-family: Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif }
a:link, a:active, a:visited { color : #1d7148; }
a:hover { text-decoration: underline; color : #dd6900; }

The part below is what determines the link color.

Code:a:link, a:active, a:visited { color : #1d7148; }

I don't have any reccomendations for the color though. It takes me hours to schoose the right colors. Mr. Green

Edit:

To make it underlined use this css code:

Code:a:link, a:active, a:visited {text-decoration: underline; color : #1d7148; }
0 Replies

gadgetaddict

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 11:07 am
sniff, sob, didn't work right - it underlined SOME of my menu tags (obviously i have some set up as links and some not - doh!) - and also it did not highlight the text i referenced between the url= tags - i checked on the fetch all page, and also within the posted page Sad
any other suggestions? mucho thanko! Smile
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 11:17 am
Look at the source of the link you want to have altered. It should say: class="something here"

Tell me which classes you want to altera nd I'll tell you what to do.
0 Replies

gadgetaddict

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 11:21 am
thanks, much appreciated. my .css file had EXACTLY what you said it would, including the colors - i just want to make it so if i say, here that the word here is underlined - maybe the easiest thing would be to just change the coloring?
0 Replies

gadgetaddict

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 11:22 am
btw, i notice on A2K my word is blue versus black text - very readable. maybe i should do something like that?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 11:26 am
LOL, of course it had it. I went to your site, looked at the source, and then downloaded the css file and copied the text from there.

I really can't tell ya what colors to pick. Half the time I can't decide when it's a scheme I am actually working with.
0 Replies

gadgetaddict

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 11:30 am
LOL! I thought you shot me over generic .css text, and i said, "Wow, this Craven fella is dead on!"
now that's funny. i did add the underline, and it didn't work as i mentioned above. so now i'm thinking of just finding a web color, and changing that phrasing - maybe make it an ugly orange or something - but then that my interfere with the link hover. my plan would be to change the number for the alink - but then if underline didn't work properly, i'd imagine i get the same results from a color change - can it be there's several other references to it elsehwere?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 11:33 am
This is what I use here:

Code:a:link,a:active,a:visited,a.postlink{color:#006699;text-decoration:none}
a:hover{color:#FF6600}

You can also try making the links bold by adding: font-weight:bold

Make sure each css thingie is separated by a ";".
0 Replies

gadgetaddict

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 11:35 am
will do - thanks again. do i have to search elsewhere, like in overall_header, or in the fetch page?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 11:37 am
All the CSS is defined in the subsilver.css file.

I am still not sure what you want to change. Is it the links in posts? If so, alter the part taht I copied from your css file.
0 Replies

gadgetaddict

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 11:41 am
craven, if you can, please visit the site, you'll see that i'm running your "latest" - i.e. the blue like you have - and i'm getting the same results, or lack thereof - getting fustrating - what am i doing wrong? (mommy!!!!!)
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 11:44 am
LOL, you have the css file cached. It's been changing all along but you are seeing old results based on the file in your browser cache.

Clear the cache and remember that when things like this happen you are usually seeing old files on your computer.

[size=7]Psst, doant kall me mommy![/size]
0 Replies

gadgetaddict

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 11:47 am
thanks, i'll take a lookie. then question number 2 - any suggestions how to leave my nice links in the header alone and not have these actions happen to them?
btw - i kept reloading the page. any easy way to force past the cache, like holding space or something? thanks again!
0 Replies

gadgetaddict

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 11:49 am
um, please take a lookie at my brighthand/cleartouch post on the front page, you'll see there are two links that are not colored - or maybe they are, but i havn't clicked them?
I realize there's 2 situations, a link my machine hasn't clicked on, and a link that it has, naturally, i'd like a similar action for each...
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 11:52 am
I think pressing shift while reloading forces it to load without cache.

To make the header links (or any other links) not have the same effect you need to declare a new css class for them.

Look in the template file at the links you want to work with. Look for class="what class it is".

If they have no class (he he) you need to make one. If they have a class then look in your CSS file and then post the css for that class.
0 Replies

gadgetaddict

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 11:52 am
cdk, should i be fooling with this?

/* The content of the posts (body of text) */
.postbody { font-size : 12px;}
a.postlink:link { text-decoration: none; color : #1d7148 }
a.postlink:visited { text-decoration: none; color : #248f5b; }
a.postlink:hover { text-decoration: underline; color : #dd6900}
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 11:54 am
Hmm, that may well be the CSS class that determines the post links.

In my preceeding post I showed you how to figure out what class corresponds with what component of your pages.
0 Replies

gadgetaddict

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 11:55 am
hey, just because y ou showed me, doesn't mean i understood Smile i'll try changing that recent one and see what happens (probably a big cloud of smoke... Smile
0 Replies

gadgetaddict

Reply Mon 8 Sep, 2003 11:58 am
it worked - your showed me how to change, say the header and other links that weren't posted per se, the post link one did what i wanted - thanks for pointing me along! i voted today, hope everyone else did too! (and i hate poetry!)
0 Replies

zrock

Reply Tue 9 Sep, 2003 02:40 pm
Hi Craven,
Still waiting on response from the new host regarindg the OS questions, so no progress yet on the proposed move.

Currently it is difficult for visitors to get past the home page unless they click the small "comments" link. I have been trying to figure out how to make the fetch page more user friendly and would appreciate guidance in accomplishing a few changes:

1. center column - link post heading instead of author
2. center column - have "post reply icon" dispay for each post, or add "discuss this story" to "()comments" link
3. latest discussion - show only post headings
4. is it okay to have "html enabled" for the board? I'd like to integrate some pix into some of the articles.

Thanks and have a great afternoon!
0 Replies