Please sir - how can i configure my new vanilla phpbb board?

gadgetaddict

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2003 11:00 am
i still blame you for the blackout!
0 Replies

gadgetaddict

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2003 11:00 am
geez, what's hamster 653???? when i hit quick reply, it came up "hamster 653 reports your message has been updated" - i guess he/she is the big cheeze/admin here? message surprised me.
i haven't been here in a while, i guess this is A2K 2.0?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2003 11:02 am
Yup, well at least half of it. I'm never finished and I had a huge idea last night.
0 Replies

gadgetaddict

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2003 11:05 am
I had a huge idea too once, but it hurt Smile
Incidentally, Jarrod found me from phpbb.com (one of my posts) and followed me to gadgetaddict (Hi Jarrod!) - I've been trying to help out/take him under me wing as shown to me by Craven - trying the keep the karma flowing.... Smile
0 Replies

zrock

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2003 11:30 am
I've got the directory issues solved, but still have the "Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent" error listed a few posts back. By the way, I have more than one site on my hosting account, (and a php redirect script) which is the reason for the directory structure - zrock.com/zrock/zforum. My sites are zrock.com and DanburyPanthers.com There is a phpbb installation within the zrock directory and a separate phpbb installation within the danburypanthers directory

Currently, each loads Gary's template, with the error message at the top.

Craven, I would very much appreciate the opportunity to give you temp access to the server. I will email the details.

Gary, thanks for prompting Craven to have a look at the files. I appreciate your guidance.
0 Replies

gadgetaddict

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2003 11:55 am
no problem jarrod - as i said, karma - craven basically hand built my site, so the least i could do is....have him build yours! Smile seriously, i was trying to help jarrod out as i best can.
Craven, based on his/my fetchall page, i figure he needs my overall_header.tpl file which you modified for me - i can remind you of my ftp access if you'd like, or you can tell me which files to e-mail jarrod...
BTW - jarrod, your directory structure is fine - just understand how you set it up and keep it consistent, i.e. my gadgetaddict.com/forums/whatever will be the equivalent, i thik, of your zrock.com/zrock/zforum - so for starters, any overlap you keep will need to have that "global replace"
then there's my forums - you may want forum 4 to post to the front page, while i use forum 1 or 2
these are not difficult changes, just a bit tedious
oh, and jarrod, any files that i send you? make a backup of your originals first
also, i don't know if craven will agree, but maybe NOW is the time to add whatever mods you want, before editing more things - like you may want the very useful quick reply mod, which is a junior versino of what craven has here, but which i like and use very much - it's on phpbb.com under mods - i'm trying to think of my most useful mods - like having the admin panel appear at the top and bottom, i like my banners (that was niels christian, something that, on phpbbhack and also mods.db9 -or something like that)
you may also want a statistics mod...or maybe we're better off leaving you vanilla till you get things running? again, i defer to CdK for this stuff.
oh, and jarrod? any time you make decent progress, or are really going to muck around? back up your board. i haven't had to restore my board, but i'm glad to know i can. don't use the admin panel - use cpanel or whatever your isp provides.
0 Replies

zrock

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2003 12:15 pm
Regarding other mods, I am open to all suggestions, but a few that are of interest are

1. calendar - the danbury site is for the alumni association I am starting, so a calendar would be great for posting sporting events, school board meetings, community functions, etc.
2. banners
3. photo album
4. Google/search engine
5. mobile (for pocketpc)

Those are a few ideas off the top of my head - I'm open to all recommendations Gary, I also plan to do some of the other things you suggested, such as putting my logo where the phpbb one is, etc. and am would like any suggestions you may have. Also, as we progress, I have a few ideas in mind that may be able to help "spread the word" about both of your sites if interested. Thanks
0 Replies

gadgetaddict

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2003 12:18 pm
hey, i'm all for word spreading! Smile banner - try the banner hack - note, it does not put banners on the front page. Craven steered me to phpadsnew which I have kind of installed but not really - i have it on my server, i think i got some test stuff to work, but i have to tell you - it is like an entire phpbb unto itself, so make that low priority. trust me on this one. use the simple banner hack, you'll be satisfied (at least for now). calendar - check out phpbb.com or phpbbhacks.com photo album - ditto. google search - not sure what you mean by that.
mobile - try phpbbtogo (you may have to go to www.togosolo.com or something similar - installing that was pretty easy, about on par with install the NAKED fetchall - configuring it takes a bit more effort but not bad at all
0 Replies

zrock

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2003 12:32 pm
By "Google/search engine" I meant optimizing the site so that all the pages are spydered instead of just the main page, etc.
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2003 12:36 pm
zrock wrote:
I've got the directory issues solved, but still have the "Warning: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent" error listed a few posts back.

Like I said, that was caused by some whitespace you added to the files when copying gadget's code. When you see those errors look at the beginning and end of the files, near the <?php and the ?>.

I edited the file and fixed those errors.

zrock wrote:
By the way, I have more than one site on my hosting account, (and a php redirect script) which is the reason for the directory structure - zrock.com/zrock/zforum. My sites are zrock.com and DanburyPanthers.com There is a phpbb installation within the zrock directory and a separate phpbb installation within the danburypanthers directory

I noticed. It's not an optimal situation and you should contact you host to figure out how to resolve teh domain name to the folder.

zrock wrote:
Currently, each loads Gary's template, with the error message at the top.

Craven, I would very much appreciate the opportunity to give you temp access to the server. I will email the details.

Gary, thanks for prompting Craven to have a look at the files. I appreciate your guidance.

I've edited both files and they are now working without errors. I removed some of gadget's text as it referenced his site (e.g. you didn't want to have yours saying welcome to gadgetaddict).

The code is a bit messy but it's working.

If you want to display something in the download box edit the #1 post on your boards.

The fetch pages are set to fetch from forum 1.

If you need anything else let me know. And if not please remove the password access you gave me so that I no longer have access to your server.
0 Replies

zrock

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2003 01:06 pm
Thank you very much Craven. I appreciate the assistance.

Any opinions on the mods I mentioned above, as well as if any more changes should be implemented now as opposed to later?

Thanks
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2003 01:12 pm
If I were you I would:

Get rid of the phpredirect. Search Engines will shun you unless you do so.

Replace the default phpbb logo.

Clean up the code you copied form gadget (e.g. I just noticed it has his link here to my site, it has lots of line breaks that are unecessary).

I'd eliminate sessions for guests (when you are ready to do that let me know and I'll give you teh code).

As to the mods you mentioned here are my comments:

Calendar: everyone likes this mod but I have only seen a few sites (out of thousands) that use it effectively. I personally would not install it.

Banners: My advise is to use phpAdsNew and remote javascript invoccation instead of a mod.

Google: The sessions thing I mentioned.

Mobile PC: Why not? It takes 30 seconds.
0 Replies

zrock

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2003 01:33 pm
Thanks again for the help and the feedback.
In response to your comments:
1. Since the redirect enables me to host both sites in one account, are there other methods of doing the same thing, or should I open another account at intermedia or another provider and move one of the sites?
2. I have a zrock logo I will use to replace the default, will come up with one for the danbury site.
3. Not sure what I'm looking for regarding cleaning up the code
4. I am curious about the banners - is phpAdsNew hard to set up?

The Danbury school colors are black and gold - if I were to change the colors or find a similar style, is that a hard process to implement?

Any suggestions on what would be my next course of action (other than getting some content posted and users registered? Smile
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2003 01:38 pm
zrock wrote:

1. Since the redirect enables me to host both sites in one account, are there other methods of doing the same thing, or should I open another account at intermedia or another provider and move one of the sites?

There definitely are other ways to do this. I do it all the time. But I can't tell you how this is done on your server because I am unfamiliar with your setup.

If you ask your host they should be able to tell you. If tehy don't help you move because you are on an overpriced host anyway.

zrock wrote:

3. Not sure what I'm looking for regarding cleaning up the code

If it looks like this:

Code:<p>

<tr>

<td>

MAke it look like this:

Code:<p>
<tr>
<td>

zrock wrote:

4. I am curious about the banners - is phpAdsNew hard to set up?

Nope, but neither is fetch all. ;-) It might be a bit daunting to figure out but the isntallation etc is easy. I know it well so I can help if needed.

zrock wrote:
The Danbury school colors are black and gold - if I were to change the colors or find a similar style, is that a hard process to implement?

Not at all. If you edit teh current syle then the fetch will be updated. If not point fetch's paths to the new style.

zrock wrote:

Any suggestions on what would be my next course of action (other than getting some content posted and users registered? Smile

Nope, you should focus on the content. ;-)
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2003 01:44 pm
BTW, I plan to write a huge tutorial with all my own mods and code and suggestions etc. If I ever get around to that I'll post it. But I would literally suggest thousands of changes to the code.
0 Replies

zrock

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2003 01:49 pm
Craven de Kere wrote:

If you ask your host they should be able to tell you. If tehy don't help you move because you are on an overpriced host anyway.

Any recommendations if I do choose to move to a new host?

Also, what is the best way to change the word "download" (on top right corner of my page) to say, "scoreboard" instead? Would I simply replace "download" in the code?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2003 01:53 pm
Replace:

Code:<td class="catHead" height="28"><span class="cattitle">Download</span></td>

With

Code:<td class="catHead" height="28"><span class="cattitle">Scoreboard</span></td>

I will PM you my host recommendation.
0 Replies

zrock

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2003 03:09 pm
thanks for the tip. I will check it out and let you know if I need assistance regarding the host.

I was able to update the zrock logo and will work on more of your suggestions this evening. Thanks again.
0 Replies

zrock

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2003 03:54 pm
I have a question regarding date formatting:

Tue Aug 26, 2003 1:04 am on the original post

currently displays as

26.08. at 00:04 on the fetch page

Is it possible to have the fetch page show the date in the same format as the original post?
0 Replies

Craven de Kere

Reply Tue 26 Aug, 2003 03:56 pm
Yes, go to: /zforums/mods/phpbb_fetch_all/common.php

Tou will find two lines (below is what I use):

Code://
// This lets you specify the date format in the output.
// See http://www.php.net/date for a reference.
//

$CFG['date_format'] = 'F, d.';

//
// This lets you specify the time format in the output.
// See http://www.php.net/date for a reference.
//

$CFG['time_format'] = 'g:i T';
0 Replies