Torture Is Now Part of the American Soul

anton

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 07:37 am
Brandon9000 wrote:

[When did the US military kill millions of Iraqis? And, by the way, the motivation was not the saving of 3,000 Americans, but a desire to resolve the question of whether or not an evil madman was still pursuing and hiding the development of weapons so powerful that one could obliterate a major city.

There are none so blind as those who cannot see … I believe you will only understand the despicable practice of torture when the first US troops are captured and tortured; you will then have your government to thank!
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 07:48 am
anton wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

[When did the US military kill millions of Iraqis? And, by the way, the motivation was not the saving of 3,000 Americans, but a desire to resolve the question of whether or not an evil madman was still pursuing and hiding the development of weapons so powerful that one could obliterate a major city.

There are none so blind as those who cannot see … I believe you will only understand the despicable practice of torture when the first US troops are captured and tortured; you will then have your government to thank!

Discussion of the other poster is irrelevant. It simply suggests that you can't defend your opinions. Give one specific example of a sanctioned act of torture by the US which can be discussed thoroughly.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 08:21 am
It is if you are a liberal wienie. Tortuous depression....
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 03:53 pm
Hi Brandon

UN figures show that during the blockade of Iraq (between desert storm and the Iraq war), 500,000 children died as a result of the blockade, and up to 1,000,000 Iraqi's. Since the war, and as of about 3 months ago, estimates for the dead ranged between 200,000 (if I remember right) and 800,000. After the war, there will be ongoing deaths from the civil war which is a direct result of the invasion, and from the hundreds of thousands of rounds of depleted uranium that is laying around iraq. There will be further deaths from the depleted infrastructure (hospitals etc), and from the extra poverty brought about by any war.

As to the 'leader of the free world' comments...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leader_of_the_Free_World
or just type "leader of the free world" (don't forget the inverted comma's into google and you will get lots of hits.
0 Replies

anton

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 07:42 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
Discussion of the other poster is irrelevant. It simply suggests that you can't defend your opinions. Give one specific example of a sanctioned act of torture by the US which can be discussed thoroughly.

Irrelevant: Not relevant to the topic being discussed?

Poor little boy! Are you going to start stamping your feet and crying as you did in another forum; that's what comes from having illusions of grandeur, believing you have extraordinary intellectual debating skills when in fact you are just a pathetic child trying to appear grown up.
Wipe the tears from your eyes and snuggle up with your Teddy Bear, I promise not to bother you … Until we meet again!
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 08:54 pm
vikorr wrote:
Hi Brandon

UN figures show that during the blockade of Iraq (between desert storm and the Iraq war), 500,000 children died as a result of the blockade, and up to 1,000,000 Iraqi's. Since the war, and as of about 3 months ago, estimates for the dead ranged between 200,000 (if I remember right) and 800,000. After the war, there will be ongoing deaths from the civil war which is a direct result of the invasion, and from the hundreds of thousands of rounds of depleted uranium that is laying around iraq. There will be further deaths from the depleted infrastructure (hospitals etc), and from the extra poverty brought about by any war.

As to the 'leader of the free world' comments...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leader_of_the_Free_World
or just type "leader of the free world" (don't forget the inverted comma's into google and you will get lots of hits.

Saddam Hussein annexed Kuwait. When we restored Kuwait to the original owners, Hussein signed a treaty of surrender promising to do certain things. We used the sanctions to force him to do those things, as an alternative to the use of military force. The deaths you speak of have many causes, probably including the allocation of resources by the Hussein government. The civil war has been caused by hostility between different groups within Iraq, not by us, and was previously prevented only by the fact that the country was ruled by a ruthless dictator who suppressed it. We aren't forcing them to murder each other, nor are we forcing the insurgents to bomb public places. The US attacks military targets, and, as in all previous wars throughout human history, especially since the invention of explosives, other people die as an unintended consequence. The deaths in this final category, those caused by our military actions, are our fault, but also a characteristic of war since the dawn of time. Blaming the deaths in the previous categories on us is absurd.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 08:57 pm
anton wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

Poor little boy! Are you going to start stamping your feet and crying as you did in another forum; that's what comes from having illusions of grandeur, believing you have extraordinary intellectual debating skills when in fact you are just a pathetic child trying to appear grown up.
Wipe the tears from your eyes and snuggle up with your Teddy Bear, I promise not to bother you … Until we meet again!

Nothing a debater says - or even proves - about the personal characteristics of his opponent, has the effect of supporting his position. This is elementary. What you are saying here is simply that you are unable to support your ideas on their own merits, and, thus, can only resort to name calling.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 08:59 pm
Brandon9000 wrote:
anton wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

Nothing a debater says - or even proves - about the personal characteristics of his opponent, has the effect of supporting his position. This is elementary. What you are saying here is simply that you are unable to support your ideas on their own merits, and, thus, can only resort to name calling.

It can be funny, tho.

Let's talk about

Quote:
Give one specific example of a sanctioned act of torture by the US which can be discussed thoroughly.

Waterboarding? Relevant to the KSM info which is in the news these days.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 09:08 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:
anton wrote:
Brandon9000 wrote:

It can be funny, tho.

Let's talk about

Quote:
Give one specific example of a sanctioned act of torture by the US which can be discussed thoroughly.

Waterboarding? Relevant to the KSM info which is in the news these days.

Cycloptichorn

I'm under the impression that waterboarding is now forbidden, and, if so, cannot be called sanctioned.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 09:13 pm
Quote:
I'm under the impression that waterboarding is now forbidden, and, if so, cannot be called sanctioned

I bet you believe in the tooth fairy too.

Joe(who zooming who)Nation
0 Replies

vikorr

Reply Thu 15 Mar, 2007 11:18 pm
Hi Brandon
Quote:
Saddam Hussein annexed Kuwait. When we restored Kuwait to the original owners…

Most westerners don't know that what is now Kuwait has traditionally been ruled from Bagdad for the last 2000 years, and the current borders to most Middle Eastern countries were set up by the British and the French after WW1 (about/only 70 years prior to Iraq's invasion of what is now Kuwait).

Quote:
…Hussein signed a treaty of surrender promising to do certain things. We used the sanctions to force him to do those things, as an alternative to the use of military force.
0 Replies

Brandon9000

Reply Fri 16 Mar, 2007 05:11 am
Joe Nation wrote:
Quote:
I'm under the impression that waterboarding is now forbidden, and, if so, cannot be called sanctioned

I bet you believe in the tooth fairy too.

Joe(who zooming who)Nation

I believe what I read in army manuals, such as:

FM 2-22.3

See page 97.

Quote:
0 Replies