Put in new battery and car won't start

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 08:59 pm
This is the first time I ever installed a new battery. I am sure I connected it right + to + - to - etc. The old battery was almost dead and wouldn't start after sitting few days It started right uo when the guy jumped it and stareted after I charged it up. When I turn the key now, I get nothing!

I called Geico twoing service and they wanted to tow it, I am convinced that the new battery might not be charged form sitting on the shelf for a long time . Almost evry time I try to do something mechanical, I screw it up. Anyway, the jump start guy is on the way. But I would still like to know what I might have done wrong.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 10 • Views: 184,599 • Replies: 23
No top replies

roger

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 09:12 pm
If it's never started with the new battery, it probably is dead. Seldom happens, but that's what it sounds like. I really doubt you've connected it backwards.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 09:13 pm
Perhaps there is corrosion in play here.
0 Replies

Butrflynet

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 10:08 pm
The battery probably needs to be charged. If you can find a gas station that still does more than sell muffins and gas, they'll be able to charge it in a few hours for you. If it doesn't hold the charge after that, next thing to look at would be the alternator.
0 Replies

timberlandko

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 10:09 pm
Gotta agree w/roger - doubt you did anything wrong, and while a dead-off-the-shelf battery is rare, it happens. Gus may have something there re corrosion, but while even that's not real likely, it is good practice to thoroughly clean terminals and connectors when installing a new battery.

You say you get "Nothing" when you turn the key - does that mean no buzzers/chimes, courtesy lights or dash lights as well, or does that mean the starter just won't engage? If you've got sounds and lights, the battery isn't dead, but it well could be insufficiently charged. If it was a "bargain" battery, and/or if it was purchased from a retailer that does not do a fair volume of battery sales (ensuring enough product turnover to prevent a unit sitting on a shelf for many months), the odds of an undercharged or discharged battery increase significantly.

Let us know what you come up with - and good luck.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 10:24 pm
I used to have a Datsun pickup with a dodgy starter that wouldn't turn over sometimes. Something got hung up inside it. About every third time I'd try to start it, I'd just get a faint click and then nothing. I kept a ball peen hammer under the driver's seat -- a gentle thwack on the starter would free up whatever was stuck and then the truck would start right up.

Every now and then I'd hop in late at night after a bonfire on some remote beach or other and get that click. If I had a passenger who was new to the truck I'd play it up like the battery was dead and we were stuck on a remote stretch of Highway 1 in the wee hours. Some people react better to that sort of thing than others. No cell phones back then...

Eventually I saved up a few bucks to buy a new starter and put the hammer back in the toolbox.
ossobuco

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 10:24 pm
This inspires me to start my own auto question thread, wait for it! Tomorrow..
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 10:27 pm
In any case, if it will jump start, don't let it die and keep it running long enough for it to charge enough to start the next time you need it.

<VisualizesRoxxxanne>
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 12:01 am
You won't believe this! I changed the battery in the dark, I forgot to take the pastic cap of the positive terminal, this after I took the new battery out and put the old one in!

This is defintely a typical thing I would do when I try to do something mechanical! So the old battery is holding the charge fairly well, I will shange the battery tomorrow while the sun is shining.

Funny, the guy who came to jump me didn't notice it either, but he told me anytime I need a jump just call him on his personal cell... oh Geico will cover it? I asked,..he said, don't worry will come to jump me anytime on him. Smile
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 12:36 am
I brought my car in for standard maintenance recently. The third break light bulb was out. The mechanic tried replacing it and he said "this new bulb doesn't work. You must have something electrical going on". I told him to try another bulb. Of course, the new bulb worked fine. The mechanic shook his head and said "well, I'll be damned".
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 12:43 am
Roxxxanne wrote:
Y
Funny, the guy who came to jump me didn't notice it either, but he told me anytime I need a jump just call him on his personal cell... oh Geico will cover it? I asked,..he said, don't worry will come to jump me anytime on him. Smile

So don't complain when he shows up at your house and jumps you!
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 01:37 am
Just a quick word to the wise: If you ever do have a completely dead battery, and you own a newer smaller car, you'll want to charge the battery before you start your car. Unlike the old American alternators; some of the new high output alternators will burn up in a single incident if you tax them that hard. Or so I've heard...
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 01:59 am
Roxxxanne wrote:
You won't believe this! I changed the battery in the dark, I forgot to take the pastic cap of the positive terminal, this after I took the new battery out and put the old one in!

This is defintely a typical thing I would do when I try to do something mechanical! So the old battery is holding the charge fairly well, I will shange the battery tomorrow while the sun is shining.

So, was he cute? Cool
0 Replies

BillyFalcon

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 11:14 pm
BATTERY
Roxanne,

I think Ratz---------- is right. Clean the ground cable and it's surface attachment. Clean the battery posts. If you don't do this, your're new
battery won't last long.
0 Replies

Hyundai1993

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2008 07:04 pm
I'm having the same original problem as you, but i made sure i took the caps off. and I'm getting nowhere fast, my car has power like the radio and lights are working but it wont start like its as if the starter is getting no power. any advice?
maporsche

Reply Fri 12 Dec, 2008 07:44 pm
@Hyundai1993,
S/he has a whole lot of other problems I bet you don't have .
0 Replies

uali4572

Reply Mon 1 Oct, 2012 09:49 pm
@Hyundai1993,
Hey. I have the same problem with my car. i put the battery, lights come on but car won't start. Did you find the solution?
0 Replies

Jers

Reply Sat 29 Jun, 2013 07:34 pm
@patiodog,
Yea my car won't start help me please
0 Replies

1911A1Bob

Reply Thu 29 Aug, 2013 10:44 am
You didn't mention the age or make of the car, but on many newer cars if you don't hook up an external or auxiliary power source you may have to reprogram the computer if you take the battery clamps loose--even if the current battery is already dead. I found this out the hard way on my 2007 Fusion. Worse things can happen as well, my car's throttle body had to be replaced.
0 Replies

Kedwards

Reply Sat 26 Oct, 2013 07:56 pm
I got my battery at AutoZone a couple months ago Thursday the CSC light came on and then when I would come to a stop the battery and the seatbelt lights started blinking , in Friday nite drive to church and after church drove to drop Someone off and it wouldn't start made ur home got the cable tightened drive to church again tonite made it home with the lights blinking again and it won't start it makes a clicking sound
0 Replies