Mama mama mama mama mama mama mama mama

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 02:35 pm
Jillian has a speech -mama- therapist who has worked -mama- wonders.

She is learning -mama- to speak so clearly, -mama- and very quickly.

Now , my job -mama- is to decipher what she is trying to say, -mama-, repeat it, -mama- and have her validate it.

I dont know if I should be concerned about this or -mama- not, but it is driving me -mama- batshit.
And I am not sure how to -mama- handle it , while keeping her speech therapy rules in place.

All day, every day, even if she doesnt have anything to say, she follows me :

mama mama mama mama mama ,

Interrupting me , and getting louder if I dont pay attention to her.

The problem is that I think what is going on is that she is just TOO excited about being able to say what she wants to say , and be understood that sometimes she gets stuck for words.
She is more then likely trying to catch my attention about something, but quickly realizes she can not describe it...

so she gets stuck in the

mama mama mama mama mode.

Yes, this will pass, and quite soon I imagine..
but.. oooo I want to buy ear plugs.

My first thought was , when she is stuck in mama mode, to stop her, and say something like " If you dont have a word for what you want me to do or see, why dont you just show me instead of yelling?"
Then offer her my hand and see if she leads me to something. or if she is just liking the sound of the word MAMA at high volume..
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,365 • Replies: 8
No top replies

Bella Dea

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 02:50 pm
MOM!MOM!MOM!
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 02:52 pm
Laughing Laughing

bingo
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 02:53 pm
I'd ask the speech therapist for guidance, shewolf. The first Mr B was speech delayed as a child and compensated by pointing at what he wanted. His mother gave him what he pointed at and didn't push him to say the words.

Maybe you can have her lead you to what she wants, but not give it to her until she says the word or repeats it to you, if its a word she doesn't already know.
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 03:00 pm
Definitely with JPB on this.

Allowing/encouraging the 'point' can be problematic. Talk to the speech therapist - I suspect it won't be the first time she's heard about this kind of reaction.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 03:44 pm
By all means, talk to the speech therapist. She's the expert.

My guess is that Bean is starved for conversation, but just a wee bit short of conversational subjects. I hope Santa is going to bring her some books with pictures--Mother Goose" is useful.

There used to be a wonderful Giant Golden Book, The Best Word Book Ever by Richard Scarry that had wonderful conversational possibilities.

When Bean starts her Mamma&Me routine ask her whether she'd rather read or look at the pictures. Then settled down with the book and get into a questions and answers.

"Which picture looks like Bean?"

"Oh, you think Bean looks like Miss Muffet? Can you say, 'Miss Muffet'?"

"Do we have a tuffet? Can you find a tuffet? Oh! A stool! Which is more fun to say, "tuffet" or "stool".

Read the first line of nursery rhymes and encourage her to continue reciting. If this is too complicated, start off easy with just requiring words.

Isn't it a little wearing to be the most popular person in the universe? This too shall pass.

Enjoy.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 05:15 pm
Very much agree with talking to the speech therapist, and so glad that you made that happen, good for you!

This does jump out at me though:

Quote:
Interrupting me , and getting louder if I dont pay attention to her.

I think that in terms of her motivation it could mostly be about wanting attention. So while I encourage you to talk to the speech therapist about how to best deal with it language-wise, I think sitting down with her and giving her your full attention -- such as with a book, as Noddy suggested -- could help put a dent in the incessant "mamamama"-ing and give you a bit of a respite.

Sozlet has had several waves of needing more attention than usual (one was at about Bean's age, I think) and if I'm not careful we get into a bad spiral of she's needy and annoying which makes me less patient and wanting to be left alone which freaks her out and makes her more needy and annoying which... etc. I can usually break that by just taking a deep breath and lavishing her with attention for a while. When she's had her fill, she goes back to being more independent and less needy (and less annoying!)
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 05:37 pm
About 3 years ago I met an 11 year old girl named Ziera. It was troubling because she could not pronounce the letter "Z". It came out as a "th" sound". Her mom was going to take her to a speech therapist. However, I said to her "say the letter 's'". And she said a perfect "s". Then I said "now get the vocal chords going while you do that" Voila! A perfect "Z" came from her mouth for the first time. She said "My name is ZZZZiera!"
0 Replies

shewolfnm

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 06:42 pm
I agree that she is more then likely just getting 'hung up' on her thoughts.

She sees something, or wants to say something and knows there are words for it, but might not be able to pronounce them yet.

I also think that her therapist has been teaching her how to pronounce titles for things.

Mama, building, car, cat etc.

These words I know she knew before, but would come out really jumbled in a way that only I knew what she was talking about.
Basically , baby talk appropriate for a child 1/2 her age .

I saw her therapist today and asked her what else I could be doing for her besides the physical part of therapy ( marshmellow blowing for example)
and I told her about a game that I play with Jillian.

When we are playing.. and start to do something physical like marching, I start to add diffrent sounds to our steps.

D'D'D'.... ssssssss....t't't'

And she has gotten to the point that she can mimic any sound I throw at her with clarity.

She loved that idea and will take it with her. Smile

She also agreed that JIllian is just stuck on a thought when she does the mama thing.
And said that having her take my hand might be hard for her because she may just want to portray a thought, and not an action.
THAT explains the frustration. And the louder mamamamamama that follows.

So how do you get into the thoughts?

Maybe I can start to give her words for that.

Something like..
" You were thinking something neat a minute ago? Something that we might not be able to see?"
or
" were you wanting to do something that is not in the house?"( like swinging.. or running in dirt..etc)
?
0 Replies