Need Help with Job Application

soozoo

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2003 05:03 pm
Recently, I quit a job because my employer decided to make some huge changes. There had been several situations that were disturbing to me over the last two or three years. The final straw was when my employer decided to change my job duties, my hours, my days off, my vacation and even my boss (I wasn't the only one this was happening to). The best way I can describe why I quit is because of a "hostile work environment."

However, I don't think that explanation would sound good on a job application. Can someone come up with a better term? By the way, the job applications I've seen so far give a person room enough for about three words in the space asking why you quit your job.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 2,654 • Replies: 12
No top replies

jespah

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2003 05:27 pm
Hmmm, you left for a better opportunity?
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2003 05:42 pm
How about a restructuring of the business lead to your looking for a better opportunity?
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2003 05:44 pm
wait..three words

pissed me off

(kidding)

corporate restructure
0 Replies

fealola

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2003 05:44 pm
Goes to show ya', never quit a job without a new one to go to.
0 Replies

Rae

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2003 05:45 pm
Yep. I'd go with 'better opportunity'.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2003 05:58 pm
soozoo, For the future, no matter how pissed off you get about your employer, don't quit. If you quit, you cut off all your available options to 1) look for a better job at your timing (it's a tough job market out there), 2) get unemployment insurance if they fire you, and 3) no more income for the foreseeable future. Now that you have quit, "better opportunity" is always acceptable, but your new prospective employer will ask what your goals are. Be prepared to answer them - honestly. They will do a reference check to verify what you say. Good luck! c.i.
0 Replies

soozoo

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2003 08:16 pm
cicerone, you're right and I knew all those things. But that job was making me physically ill and I decided if I ended up living in my car, it would be better than working there. I do have a temporary job but it will end in a month or two. I think I'll be able to get unemployment at that time if I haven't found something permanent before then.

Corporate restructure and better opportunity are good ideas. However, I'm seriously considering "pissed me off." Laughing

Thanks for the suggestions.
0 Replies

jespah

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 04:50 am
soozoo - here in Massachusetts (I don't know where you are, sorry), you need to be employed for 3 months before Unemployment kicks in. You might want to check the rules - your state should have some sort of website explaining this.
0 Replies

soozoo

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 04:15 pm
Thank you, jespah. I'll do that. I've been there almost 3 months now, but I'm sure it would be a good idea to check anyway.
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 04:53 pm
Sometimes a previous employer will be responsible for the unemployment benefits if your subsequent employment was less than three months. The best way to check that is with your state unemployment office. c.i.
0 Replies

DepaulRules

Reply Thu 15 Jan, 2004 08:27 am
Still Employed
How would you all handle the question about contacting your current employer? If you are looking for a job, but if you don't find a suitable job, you don't want to cause any undue stress at your existing job.

What's the appropriate phrasing to prospective employers about contacting existing employer?

Thanks for all your help.
0 Replies

caprice

Reply Fri 30 Jan, 2004 12:29 am
fealola wrote:
Goes to show ya', never quit a job without a new one to go to.

I know that truth first hand.
0 Replies