Are Democrats Worried....

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 08:59 pm
About Senator Tims Johnsosn health or are they worried about their majority?
The only real difference the slim margin majority they have are the committee chairmen & Mitch McConnell has already warned Reid that nothing would come of committees unless they allow Bushs nominees for judges to come to the floor for a vote.
Here we go again.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 430 • Replies: 9
No top replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 09:03 pm
I'm worried about both. Worried about his health, and worried about the majority. The slim majority they have makes a difference in a lot more ways than committe chairmen. The biggest one I know of is that a change from Democrat to Republican there would allow Cheney to cast tie-breaking votes.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 09:15 pm
sozobe wrote:
I'm worried about both. Worried about his health, and worried about the majority. The slim majority they have makes a difference in a lot more ways than committe chairmen. The biggest one I know of is that a change from Democrat to Republican there would allow Cheney to cast tie-breaking votes.

With a margin this thin, all kinds of mischief can take place, look at the last 12 years. Fillibuster after fillibuster by the dems & now the repubs will do the same thing. Cheney can only break a tie IF if whatever gets to the floor for a vote.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 09:17 pm
BTW-When i said "Are the dems worried...." I meant the politicians, & I should've asked if the repubs are hopeful for the same reason.
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 09:21 pm
Mischief? Worry? Dems? Why Daschle and Leahy?
It's the question no one in Washington or the media wants to publicly examine: Why were two high-profile Democrats targeted by the anthrax mail terrorist? http://archive.salon.com/politics/feature/2001/11/21/anthrax/index_np.html
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 09:22 pm
I see. I'd imagine it's the same for the politicians, except the ones who know him personally are probably a lot more worried about his health than I am. (I pretty much universally wish everyone good health, but don't know much about this guy.) And yeah, I bet there are Republican politicians who are experiencing a combination, too -- genuinely worried about him, while maybe harboring a bit of hope re: Senate control. They're human, I wouldn't hold it against them (unless they do or say something incredibly tactless).
0 Replies

blueflame1

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 09:30 pm
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 10:02 pm
sozobe wrote:
I see. I'd imagine it's the same for the politicians, except the ones who know him personally are probably a lot more worried about his health than I am. (I pretty much universally wish everyone good health, but don't know much about this guy.) And yeah, I bet there are Republican politicians who are experiencing a combination, too -- genuinely worried about him, while maybe harboring a bit of hope re: Senate control. They're human, I wouldn't hold it against them (unless they do or say something incredibly tactless).

I can't imagine wishing this sort of illness on anyone, but you're right, the politics must cross their minds. I heard a caller today on a radio show ask, "So, if Johnson is breain dead, will the dems feel about him like they did Terri Schiavo", it made me sick. Gawd, what kind of people are out there?
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Thu 14 Dec, 2006 10:04 pm
blueflame1 wrote:
Mischief? Worry? Dems? Why Daschle and Leahy?
It's the question no one in Washington or the media wants to publicly examine: Why were two high-profile Democrats targeted by the anthrax mail terrorist? http://archive.salon.com/politics/feature/2001/11/21/anthrax/index_np.html

They didn't die, civillians have died from anthrax, but not one politician.
I didn't see the worry about the journalist in Fl that died from anthrax, nor the postal employees. The politicians aren't any better than anybody else & in the event they die on duty, they're no better than out military that die on duty either.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 08:30 am
WASHINGTON - Democratic Sen. Tim Johnson (news, bio, voting record) was recovering without complications from emergency brain surgery to repair bleeding in his brain.

Family and colleagues were encouraged by his progress Thursday, yet doctors said it was too early to say whether further surgery would be required.
0 Replies