Should Incopacitation Of A Congressman....Or Anybody

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 08:36 am
LoneStarMadam wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
From what I heard, only death or resignation will remove him from office. Apparently, in 1969, another SD senator was laid up for almost his entire term. Only difference will be the voting. 50-49.

I just heard on the news that Johnson will resign, the person that made that statement wouldn't give any details.
51-49, no matter which controls the senate, it's going to be rough as herding cats.

sorry to disapoint Lone Star Harpie but.....

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20061215/D8M1A7700.html
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 09:02 am
LoneStarMadam wrote:
51-49, no matter which controls the senate, it's going to be rough as herding cats.

This is actually the most perceptive remark with regard to this situation. Don't everyone get all excited, though--even a stopped clock is right twice a day.

As for herding cats, personally, i prefer to just shoot 'em . . .
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 10:38 am
In theory it does seem logical if some one is incapable either physically or mentally to meet their job responsibilities, they need to relinquish their seat. But how would you determine it - especially the mental capability? It is just too gray and could open up so much corruption that to me, for these few one offs it would not be worth it - not to mention the possibility for age discrimination and lawsuits as a result.

I am sure he meant incapacitation - come on we all make spelling errors.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 12:35 pm
Filming as just begun for the sequel to Mel Gibson's Apocolypto -
The title...

Incopacitation
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 02:27 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
McGentrix wrote:
From what I heard, only death or resignation will remove him from office. Apparently, in 1969, another SD senator was laid up for almost his entire term. Only difference will be the voting. 50-49.

I just heard on the news that Johnson will resign, the person that made that statement wouldn't give any details.

sorry to disapoint Lone Star Harpie but.....

http://apnews.myway.com/article/20061215/D8M1A7700.html

I think that's encouraging news, hopefully it's true. I'm sorry you don't wish Sen Johnson well.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 02:34 pm
Linkat wrote:
In theory it does seem logical if some one is incapable either physically or mentally to meet their job responsibilities, they need to relinquish their seat. But how would you determine it - especially the mental capability? It is just too gray and could open up so much corruption that to me, for these few one offs it would not be worth it - not to mention the possibility for age discrimination and lawsuits as a result.

Sen Biden was absent for 7 months, recruperating from a braiin annurism. Another Senator, can't remember the name, suffered a debilitating stroke, left him partially paralyzed & speechless, he still managed to be wheeled onto the floor of the senate & cast the deciding vote on the Civil Rights Bill by pointing to his eye signifying an aye vote.
I wouldn't want to be the person that called it for anybody in this situation. I've heard that if Johnson is laid up for an extended period of time or he's permanently out of commission, that the gov of SD could have an outside medical team evaluate Johnson. I'm iffy with that as well, I think the family should decide going on what the doctors that have & are treating him. Good luck to all of them.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 02:39 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Linkat wrote:

Sen Biden was absent for 7 months, recruperating from a braiin annurism. Another Senator, can't remember the name, suffered a debilitating stroke, left him partially paralyzed & speechless, he still managed to be wheeled onto the floor of the senate & cast the deciding vote on the Civil Rights Bill by pointing to his eye signifying an aye vote.
I wouldn't want to be the person that called it for anybody in this situation. I've heard that if Johnson is laid up for an extended period of time or he's permanently out of commission, that the gov of SD could have an outside medical team evaluate Johnson. I'm iffy with that as well, I think the family should decide going on what the doctors that have & are treating him. Good luck to all of them.

I would consider those more a physical incapacity, not a mental one like old age. I was against having any sort of decision based on mental incapacity especially in the case of old age. I was also going to suggest in extreme situation where one is unable to temporarily fill their position to have an interim replacement.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 02:54 pm
Linkat wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Linkat wrote:

I would consider those more a physical incapacity, not a mental one like old age. I was against having any sort of decision based on mental incapacity especially in the case of old age. I was also going to suggest in extreme situation where one is unable to temporarily fill their position to have an interim replacement.

I've heard interim replacement mentioned, don't know if that's ever been done. I think if the control of the senate wasn't in the balance with this that there'd be much concern, I don't mean about Johnsons health, but the what if with this situation.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 03:04 pm
So how do you all see this thing? Mere coincidence or rife with suspicion?
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 03:53 pm
Suspicion of what?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 04:07 pm
Come now. Let's not act as if it didn't cross our minds.
If they can poison a spy...
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 04:43 pm
eoe wrote:
Come now. Let's not act as if it didn't cross our minds.
If they can poison a spy...

this same conspiracy came out when Paul Wellstone was killed in a plane crash, that didn't fly either.
No pun intended.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 04:58 pm
Same with Ron Brown. But, you just can't help wondering, considering what's at stake.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 05:00 pm
eoe wrote:
Same with Ron Brown. But, you just can't help wondering, considering what's at stake.

I really don't believe it with Johnson, I doubt it with Wellstone & Brown. But who knows, politicas can be a dangerous game.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 05:05 pm
Don't you know it!
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 07:59 pm
eoe wrote:
Don't you know it!

Ones ego must outweigh common sense to get into politics as a participant.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 10:49 pm
(covering mouth. I aint gonna say it. No I'm not. NO! I won't. But, boy...) Very Happy
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 10:55 pm
squinney wrote:
(covering mouth. I aint gonna say it. No I'm not. NO! I won't. But, boy...) Very Happy

No fair, come on now, say it. Cool
0 Replies

LittleBitty

Reply Fri 15 Dec, 2006 11:22 pm
What an improvement. I'd say 50% of the posts here are on topic and the other 50% just bashing a poster. Some of you should take a bow.

Interesting topic. I'd say that it's a big concern to consider the mental capacity of all congressmen. First and foremost, citizens should vote for competent people. In cases such as Johnson, a little leeway should be allowed of course. It sounds like there are some practices in place to accommodate some of these situations.
0 Replies