Baja Bound

husker

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2003 09:47 am
or Bust! leaving very soon for the Baja.
This is where I'll be:
Map of Baja
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 3,930 • Replies: 33
No top replies

quinn1

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2003 09:50 am
Husker...have a great time!

Anything in particular youre going for?
Busisness or pleasure...or a bit of both?
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2003 10:03 am
Taking a bunch of kids and a few adults on a Mission Trip. Should be loads of fun. You might notice my being gone for awhile, but if I stumble on to a cybercafe - I'll drop a line - have not figured out a good way to get pictures from the digital camera to the cybercafe computer yet, without a big fuss.
Countdown t-24 or about that.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2003 10:12 am
We shall miss ya but, look forward to seeing some great pictures.

I have heard there is a protected area there for whale breeding, would love to go for that alone...Im sure there is a great deal more however, I dont know of it so...you'll have to fill us all in.

Enjoy!
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2003 11:16 am
husker, Have a safe and enjoyable trip. c.i.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2003 11:24 am
Good seafood down there, H.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2003 11:37 am
CI Thanks

Patio - last time I bought the shrimp cocktail from a local street guy - (well last time for that)!!

Quinn - I'll get pictures up - just bought another 128 megs just to make sure I have enough storage. Also thinking about taking my SLR with b&w film - but I'm not sure about packing it around.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2003 11:40 am
Quote:
Patio - last time I bought the shrimp cocktail from a local street guy - (well last time for that)!!

Reminds me of when I washed up in Greece. Was walking through a park with my pack (travelling alone) and saw a guy selling ears of roasted corn. Though, "Hey, a gen-yoo-ine local snack food. I think I'll buy one." Completely inedible; couldn't even chew the stuff. Apparently it was akin to panhandlers selling pencils when begging isn't allowed.
0 Replies

quinn1

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2003 11:41 am
You know..my recent adventure I picked up one of those disposable cameras....due to the whole..I dont think I want to pack around my good stuff...and I was sorely dissappointed with myself....glad I had brought the other one at least though...it wasnt all that bad, and better than nothing, still now, I want to go back on a photographic journey to make up for it...humph.
Always be prepared!
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2003 12:08 pm
http://www.huskerhost.com/mexico/bus.jpg

http://www.huskerhost.com/mexico/bus.jpg
http://www.huskerhost.com/mexico/endofyear3.jpg
http://www.huskerhost.com/mexico/localkids.jpg
http://www.huskerhost.com/mexico/morekids.jpg
http://www.huskerhost.com/mexico/mybestfriends.JPG
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2003 01:00 pm
Nice pics, husker. Great to see your friends.

San Quintín Valley is known in Mexico for internal temporary migration. Loads and loads of very poor people from the South are brought there for the crops. Very hot and miserable wages. Towns and settlers are relatively new, I believe.

I don't know if there's a cybercafe over there. Could be, since there are tourist resorts nearby. Or perhaps, in the town of El Rosario, a few miles south.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2003 01:20 pm
fbaezer
There are a couple cybercafes in Cardenas and SanQuintin. Funny thing is in the past when we go through a checkpoint and ask where we've been and say Cardenas, they never question it. So we asked why and they said the color of the dirt on the bus was a dead-give-away.

My friends are Sarita and Manuel & Dany
0 Replies

husker

Reply Wed 25 Jun, 2003 12:10 pm
T- an hour or so!!!!!!!!
0 Replies

husker

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 03:35 pm
Made it to Bakersfield 2 hours ago, next stop SanDiego, Ca tomorrow.
Pretty HOT here!!
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 03:42 pm
Used to live in bakersfield for while. Hated it, struck it from my memory bank. Stinks of oil smoke and natural gas. right out of a Lary Mcmurtry book.
hope you get some time to go over to Sea of Cortez and just sploosh around and look at the fish. Drive carefully and may your mission accomplish everything you planned.
0 Replies

Piffka

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 07:25 am
HI, Husker! I hadn't seen this until this morning and I've been wondering where you are! In Mexico! A mission? Good for you & the folks from Washington that you're bringing with you. There are a few churches in GH that send missions to Sonora. It is a life-changing event for some kids (and adults).

I was just getting ready to start a thread on a place in Mexico that I've wanted to see... I'll post the link here once I get it started.

Be safe and good driving! Vaja con Dios.
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 09:02 pm
Good for you, husker!
Took a look at the pics...are you building houses down there?
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Sat 28 Jun, 2003 10:25 pm
When I worked for Florsheim Shoe Company as a traveling auditor, one of my stops was Bakersfield. Ugh! is all I can remember. c.i. Wink
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 12:36 pm
Hola!
Arrived here on Saturday. Travel and weather have been great!
Having some frustration with internet - losing connections all the time.
0 Replies

husker

Reply Mon 30 Jun, 2003 12:38 pm
Thanks for all you comments! short
0 Replies