Rembrandt and the Joys of NYC Galleries

Stray Cat

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2007 12:26 pm
Quote:
The Metropolitan Museum is one of the finest in the world. Brilliant collections of a variety of schools. I especially love the impressionist collection.

I I spent most of the day, trotting around -- and curled up in -- the Metropolitan. Is there anything that can really compare to it? Besides, there are always some pigeons hanging around at the top of the stone stairs that need a good chasing.

You know, whenever someone brings up the subject of impressionists (and don't they always - just when you least expect it?), they always go on and on about the French Impressionists. But let me tell you, we have some pretty impressive American impressionists on this side of the Atlantic. (Of course, they all studied in Paris,... but still!)

The Met had a wonderful exhibit called, "An American In Paris," with so many wonderful paintings by American Impressionists. There were some beautiful ones by Mary Cassatt, James Whistler - and my particular favorite - John Singer Sargeant. Here a just a few of the Sargent ones:

The famous Madame X painting

http://www.metmuseum.org/Works_Of_Art/images/ap/images/ap16.53.R.jpg

This romantic one of the Luxembourg Gardens in the evening. Notice how he captures the moonlight reflected in the water of the little pond.

http://jssgallery.org/Paintings/In_the_Luxembourg_Gardens_b.jpg

And this one by Childe Hassam, that I kept coming back to again and again:

http://www.encore-editions.com/artists/ChildeHassam/thumbs/April_Showers_Champs_Elysees_Paris_1888.jpg

He so captured the feeling of a rainy day; that feeling that you get when you look out the window and see a gray sky, rain softly falling to the ground, puddles here and there, and the muted light.

Unfortunately, the American In Paris exhibit ends today. But there is also an exhibit of Louis Comfort Tiffany, his stained glass windows, mosaics, and beautiful paintings. Lots of the treasures that he kept at his country place, Laurelton Hall. Check it out, if you get the chance!
0 Replies

Vivien

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2007 04:11 pm
There's a gallery near Giverny (Monet's garden) called The American Museum of Art that has work by the Americans who painted with the Impressionists - some lovely work in a simple cool gallery.

link
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2007 04:15 pm
Thanks for posting, Stray Cat. Especially thanks for the Sargeants. I remember the first time I saw Madame X. Just stood and stared. A stunning work.
0 Replies

Stray Cat

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2007 08:10 pm
I wish you could have been there with me to see the exhibit, Roberta. You would have loved it!
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sun 28 Jan, 2007 10:58 pm
Stray Cat wrote:
I wish you could have been there with me to see the exhibit, Roberta. You would have loved it!

Wish I coulda been too. You're right. I would have loved it. Thanks again for posting the pictures here.
0 Replies