Roberta.

Cooper-Hewitt.

You. Me. Early June 2007.

Chocolate Cake (Cafe Mozart, UWS)

Very Happy
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 06:00 pm
You're not annoying, Osso. You're pining. I checked out the link. Too pricey for me. But it's nice to know it's there.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 07:24 pm
I had a sandwich (5.50? and a fancy japanese confection type drink ($4.?), came to ~ $10. You could pay more, you could pay less. I think Diane's was less. She probably had ice tea. Well, that was in '03.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 07:59 pm
The Picasso exhibit is still on at the Whitney.

Joe(he lives at the Cloisters)Nation
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 08:18 pm
I'm sorry I missed the Houk Gallery at what looks like 57th and 5th -
745 5th Ave.

Lots of amazing photographers on their list of artists -

http://www.houkgallery.com/catalogues.html

http://www.houkgallery.com/exhibitions.html
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 08:34 pm
Osso, just to confirm, that Japanese place is there. I just walked by it tonight on the way home from work. I must have walked by that place at least fifty times in the last few months on my way to work.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 08:37 pm
Joe Nation wrote:
The Picasso exhibit is still on at the Whitney.

Joe(he lives at the Cloisters)Nation

Ooh, the Whitney. That's close to me. Another one to check out. Thanks, Joe.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 11:27 pm
Bethie, The Cooper Hewitt is small. I could probably do it. I absolutely would love to. The Cafe Mozart? A possibility.

Osso, the menu on the link said $20-$30.

Joe, You live at the Cloisters? You never struck me as the monk-ey type (without the hyphen, that doesn't come out right at all). There's a Picasso exhibit at the Whitney?

I miss the city I live in.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 11:52 pm
Oh, great, Kicky. I'll test the waters and give one more link on that company in a minute. Robbie, most restaurants give full meal prices. I almost always spend way less than what they say on those reports.

The Whitney, I was there for an hour, as I'd used up most of the day at the Met. Saw the Diller and Scofidio show there (the rather different architects who just did the addition futzing with Lincoln Center). In fact, I think it was just before I nearly got lost crossing Central Park and then went to meet you and pals, Roberta, at the place on 3rd.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 11:59 pm
They're an international outfit. I see places in Paris and San Francisco, much in Japan

http://www.toraya-group.co.jp/english/shops/index.html

Never mind all this confection business, that was THE best tuna sandwich..

http://www.teamuse.com/article_021203.html
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 12:23 am
You know what, I may have been wrong. That article says the place is closed. Maybe the place I saw was just some Japanese restaurant with a similar name. I'm not sure. I'll check it out next time I go by there though and make sure.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 01:02 am
Nuts, I didn't see that until now.. See what you can find out...
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 01:10 am
It's time for bed and I'm drooling thinking of that lovely restaurant. I don't remember what I ate except that it was so delicious and perfect in every way.

What I will always remember is the lightness, airyness and peacefulness. A very bearable lightness of being. It felt like everyone there was in a luscious state of zen.

This is pathetic. My first post on this art thread and I'm drooling at the memory of food and ambience.

It was a wonderful, memorable time. Jo--go to work, make some money and we can go back and bug Boida and see some art and....eat.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Tue 19 Dec, 2006 03:29 am
Diane querida, Since when do you have to be in the vicinity to bug me? I'm readlily and easily buggable across continents and oceans. However, if you prefer to do it in person, haul your ass east, kid. I'd dearly love to see you and Osso otra vez.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 04:23 pm
Next up at the Cooper Hewitt -

see this link for article and photos:
http://www.nytimes.com/2006/12/15/arts/design/15trie.html?pagewanted=all

I'm including the whole article, unusual for me, since it seems really useful to have read before going through the exhibit (or it would be for me, whether I ended up agreeing with it or not).

Art Review | 'Design Life Now'
Fruits of Design, Certified Organic
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 21 Dec, 2006 05:15 pm
Still reading along ...

This is interesting!

Please continue ......
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 08:52 am
Quote:
Joe, You live at the Cloisters? You never struck me as the monk-ey type (without the hyphen, that doesn't come out right at all). There's a Picasso exhibit at the Whitney?

I miss the city I live in.

Ahem. Monkish. My building is just down the hill from Fort Tryon Park.

http://www.whitney.org/www/exhibition/images/Lichtenstein_Girl-125.jpg
The Whitney is showing Picasso influence on American art. Above is the worst example.

Quote:
Picasso and American Art

on view September 28, 2006 - January 28, 2007

This groundbreaking exhibition examines the fundamental role that Pablo Picasso played in the development of American art during the last century. The extremely diverse group of American artists, whose works are juxtaposed with Picasso's, include Max Weber, Stuart Davis, Arshile Gorky, John Graham, Willem de Kooning, Jackson Pollock, David Smith, Andy Warhol, Roy Lichtenstein, and Jasper Johns.

Joe(It's a fun thing to see.)Nation
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Fri 22 Dec, 2006 06:00 pm
Joe, Prepositional confusion here. I took your "at" to mean "in." Hence the monk-ey reference. You say monkish. I say monk-ey. Let's call the whole thing off.

Fort Tryon Park as a beautiful part of Manahattan. There are actual hills there!

A Picasso influence exhibit sounds intriguing. Glad to know that the example you shared is among the worst. Gag. The influence is apparent, but the talent, less so.
0 Replies

Diane

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 02:46 pm
In the spirit of msolga, I'm reading and loving all the ideas and information.

Please continue and forgive my little interruption.
0 Replies

Roberta

Reply Sat 6 Jan, 2007 05:53 pm
Dat nun is a noodge.

The Metropolitan Museum: American wing.

I'm not a big fan of American painting (the early stuff), so I rarely visited the American wing. I enjoyed the re-created rooms--prerevolution and revolution. Otherwise I went elsewhere in the musuem.

In 1976, the American wing had a special show in honor of the bicentennial. I somehow got an invitation to the black tie opening. It was at this event that I developed a tremendous admiration for the crafts (furniture, porcelain, glass, needlwork) that were a part of the art history of this country. If you're in the neighborhood, these magnificent things are on display and are worth a look-see.
0 Replies