Federal Law Requiring Paid Sick Leave - Good or Bad?

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 07:55 am
I just heard on CNN that Senator Kennedy will be introducing a bill to require that all companies in the US with 15 or more employees offer a minimum 7 days per year of paid sick leave.

I don't find that unreasonable. I understand companies would have that increased cost of around $280 per $7 an hour employee per year. But, is that so much really?

I also understand that would get passed on to the consumer. Overall, again, not that big of a difference when spread out over all consumers of that product.

Would you consider this a bill that needs to pass? Why?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,299 • Replies: 20
No top replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 08:00 am
If they want to pass a bill saying any employee that works for the government should have 7 days off for sick time that would be fine. But, requiring private companies to do so is just another example of the government meddling where it shouldn't.
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 08:00 am
Here's a couple of links to help explain what is being proposed:

Miami Herald

New York Times
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 08:10 am
I am of two minds on this. I think that any decent employer needs to allow time off for sickness. I would never have worked for a company that did not have sick days as part of their package.

On the other hand, like McGentrix, I don't think that the government should stick their noses where it does not belong.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 08:52 am
It would be good for the employees to have paid sick leave, but it could also close the small business, the employee then would not have a job.
So, which devil does one want to fight?
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 08:52 am
It would be good for the employees to have paid sick leave, but it could also close the small business, the employee then would not have a job.
So, which devil does one want to fight? This is a move towards national health care.
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 08:54 am
Would this be only for Employee Illness or would it cover a employee missing work because of a sick child?
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 09:00 am
Why not regulate in a bonus for every lie told? I don't believe I've been sick 7 days a year in my life. When I have called in, I usually wasn't. Government enforced measures to reward people for not working is not a good idea. Sick day pay, or more accurately; personal days should remain a carrot offered and regulated by employers, not government.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 09:19 am
McGentrix wrote:
If they want to pass a bill saying any employee that works for the government should have 7 days off for sick time that would be fine. But, requiring private companies to do so is just another example of the government meddling where it shouldn't.

Ditto.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 10:39 am
While its nice to have sick days off, I don't think the govt shouldn't make it mandatory. Let the employers decide if they want to offer sick days. For the larger companies it should be an offer, for the smaller companies it could be a business ender.
0 Replies

Linkat

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 12:08 pm
Normally I don't like the government butting in either, however, I have a different twist to consider it.

If you were to require paid sick time, then maybe more people would actually stay home when they are sick and thus not infecting other healthy people. Some people may not be able to afford to take a few days off without pay - those people then if they don't get paid - go to work and infect everyone else.

To me that overall cost to employers and everyone could be higher.
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 12:13 pm
I think democrats who are sick should get paid sick leave....

sick republicans should be shot dead.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 12:47 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
I think democrats who are sick should get paid sick leave....

sick republicans should be shot dead.

a modest and reasonable proposal...
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 01:45 pm
Isn't it strange that some animal can say, without apology, that all sick republicans should be shot dead....but then, we are talking about the mutterings of an animal.
I have to wonder about any that seemingly agree with that animal
0 Replies

roger

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 03:42 pm
Had it crossed my mind that that were a serious proposal, I would have reacted. Obviously, it was not.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 03:50 pm
Oh, BPB wasn't serious? Laughing
0 Replies

squinney

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 06:45 pm
Whew! Glad that was pointed out. I was locked and loaded! Embarrassed
0 Replies

maporsche

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 07:59 pm
Linkat wrote:
Normally I don't like the government butting in either, however, I have a different twist to consider it.

If you were to require paid sick time, then maybe more people would actually stay home when they are sick and thus not infecting other healthy people. Some people may not be able to afford to take a few days off without pay - those people then if they don't get paid - go to work and infect everyone else.

To me that overall cost to employers and everyone could be higher.

This is a good point.

And I doubt that $280 extra a year/employee is going to be a business-ender for anybody.

That being said, I do not like this law. I love personal days (I get 28 personal days where I work), but I hate the government forcing THIS on anyone. I do think that the government should set a higher minimum wage though (which it looks like they will).
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 09:40 pm
You don't have minimum wage? Wow.

People have a right to be sick and not pass on their illness to others and to not have to work in that condition... if they are really sick. Not having sick days because the inevitable will happen (cheaters) is not reason enough to deny it to everyone else.

$280 per year per employee is not going to ruin any company. If you are a good company and you hire well, you won't hire people that will abuse it. And if you monitor, you can nip it in the bud.

Only governments and big businesses here have such a thing, for the most part. I mean, it's not mandatory for private companies, but I think it should be, like the minimum wage and statutory holidays.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 09:44 pm
Me three
0 Replies