If Lincoln had not

Reply Sun 10 Dec, 2006 03:49 pm
If Lincoln had not made the rash decision to end slavery would there be, today, a problem with illegal immigration to work the agriculture industry?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 408 • Replies: 8
No top replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Sun 10 Dec, 2006 04:19 pm
http://lirs.org/who/history.htm
Seems we've always given in
0 Replies

roger

Reply Sun 10 Dec, 2006 07:31 pm
If Lincoln hadn't, someone else would have, within a decade or two at the most.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sun 10 Dec, 2006 07:35 pm
Re: If Lincoln had not
dyslexia wrote:
If Lincoln had not made the rash decision to end slavery would there be, today, a problem with illegal immigration to work the agriculture industry?

Rash??? We were one of the last countries to outlaw slavery! Most European countries never even had it! I think Lincoln's decision was well overdue as even our founding fathers struggled with the idea of outlawing slavery! And having illegals to work the agriculture industry has no bearing on the subject at all!
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Sun 10 Dec, 2006 10:21 pm
NickFun wrote:
dyslexia wrote:

Rash??? We were one of the last countries to outlaw slavery! Most European countries never even had it! I think Lincoln's decision was well overdue as even our founding fathers struggled with the idea of outlawing slavery! And having illegals to work the agriculture industry has no bearing on the subject at all!

One of the last? Checked out Sudan lately?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sun 10 Dec, 2006 10:31 pm
I bet pockets of slavery would have persisted into the early 20th Century, if they had not been freed by the war.
0 Replies

NickFun

Reply Sun 10 Dec, 2006 11:39 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:
NickFun wrote:
dyslexia wrote:

One of the last? Checked out Sudan lately?

Pardon me LSM. I should have said the last CIVILIZED country. Our legacy of slavery is nothing to brag about. My grandma is 102. She knew her great grandfather who also lived to be 102. He told her stories of slaves being beaten that would make your hair curl -- but I'm sure yours is naturally curly.
0 Replies

okie

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 08:00 pm
dyslexia wrote:

If Lincoln hadn't ended slavery, it would have been up to some other Republican to do it.

Maybe a better question would be, if the Democrats love the minimum wage hikes so that people can earn a living wage, how come they like illegals working for nothing, like slaves? Something does not compute here, dyslexia. Maybe you can clear it up?
0 Replies

kelticwizard

Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 11:16 pm
Democrats don't like people working for nothing, like slaves.

You, on the other hand, have made it clear you are against a minimum wage. You would pay a guy a dollar an hour if he was desperate enough to work for it, and you would be proud of yourself for doing it.
0 Replies