What astonished, or took you quite by surprise, today?

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 07:23 pm
msolga wrote:
We posted at the very same instant, Andrew! Very Happy

Was it as good for you as it was for me? Laughing
(We must do this again sometime.)
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 07:25 pm
Three times now!

Hey this is fun, Andrew!

Yes, let's do it again soon! Laughing
0 Replies

Crazielady420

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 07:25 pm
I saw a thing around a license plate today that said

"Jesus Christ.... he loves the hell out of you"

I chuckled.. It amused me.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 08:20 pm
msolga wrote:
msolga wrote:
Complete astonishment when I returned home & saw the view from my backyard tonight. My next-door neighbour has become attached to a man who (apparently) owns a chainsaw! Her (admittedly over-planted & overgrown) trees had vanished from view! A completely different (de-nuded) view over my fence now. The fig tree has been reduced to a stump. Sad Ditto the lovely walnut tree. All gone. This is going to take some getting used to! Sad

.... This morning I've realized that not only the trees have gone, but also quite a few birds' homes. It is weirdly quiet in my backyard.
I miss their chirping, bickering, twittering & the usual bird cacophony.... Sad

YAY!

My pigeon pair are back! (Don't tell me they're vermin, they're my pigeon pair! Very Happy )
They're looking a bit bewildered though, checking out the new environment.

Next, I'm hoping that some of the others will return & hopefully make a new home.
0 Replies

Merry Andrew

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 09:23 pm
That is good news, MsOlga. Hopefully, others will return. Birds are good to have around. (And pigeons are much maligned. BTW, I'm one of the few people who has actually seen a baby pigeon, a chick. When I was living in a high-rise apartment building, up on the 19th floor of a 25-story edifice, the dumbest of all mama pigeons in all of Boston, actually laid an egg -- yes, just one -- on my balcony, and hatched it!)
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 16 Apr, 2007 11:58 pm
Mother pigeon chose your balcony before so many others, Andrew! I hope you felt honoured!Very Happy

I'm fond of my pair because they're always around & they amuse me enormously. They have wonderful romantic interludes, snuggling up close together on my fence & cooing at each other, when they seem a marriage made in heaven .... then, on other days, they bicker ferociously & really give each other hell!
Hours & hours of free entertainment!

Now I'm hoping that the native birds will return, too ....
But no sign of that yet.
0 Replies

Francis

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 12:42 am
Walter Hinteler wrote:
I was more than surprised when I saw a newbie posting here with Francis' avatar.

http://i14.tinypic.com/4fxak5w.jpg

Well, I was quite surprised too!

But I reported that and my photo was removed from that poster's avatar.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 12:51 am
It surprised me too Francis.

I dont think I'll be able to look myself in the face ever again.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 06:33 am
Well, I was a little shocked to hear that someone was robbed at gunpoint at my apartment yesterday. And someone else was 2 days before that. And then some 50 odd people were gunned down at school not 4 hours away. Aiee
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 06:36 am
When I turned on my computer, I was informed that it had sustained a grievous error, and had fixed itself. I have absolutely no idea why this happened, because I had done nothing to pique my little electronic assistant.

Apparently, the glitch caused my Zone Alarm to wipe out most of my settings. Now everytime I hit a program that I had not accessed this morning, I keep getting asked for permission to access this or that.

What a pain in the butt! Evil or Very Mad
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 06:52 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
When I turned on my computer, I was informed that it had sustained a grievous error, and had fixed itself. I have absolutely no idea why this happened, because I had done nothing to pique my little electronic assistant.

Apparently, the glitch caused my Zone Alarm to wipe out most of my settings. Now everytime I hit a program that I had not accessed this morning, I keep getting asked for permission to access this or that.

What a pain in the butt! Evil or Very Mad

I had the same phoenix wiped my startup list clean. windows update? I wonder?
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 07:20 am
Why turn your computer off to begin with?
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 07:43 am
stuh505 wrote:
Why turn your computer off to begin with?

Normally, I keep my computer on all day, and turn it off before I go to bed. Around here, there are problems with electricity (Tampa Electric LOVES to turn off the electric momentarily, just long enough to screw up my clocks). Also, we have a lot of weird weather with a lot of lightning. As soon as I hear a thunder boomer, the 'puter gets shut down.

I have always been leery about leaving a computer on all the time, and have gotten into the habit of turning it off.

dadpad- I have the Zone Alarm firewall. When you first get it, and you try to access the internet through a particular program, it asks you if you give the program permission. Once you have given the program permission the first time, you are not bothered again.

Apparently whatever happened to the computer, caused my Zone Alarm to behave like it had never gotten my earlier permissions, and I had to start from scratch. I have no problem with it, but my husband is less tech savvy than I am. I hope that I have completed all the permissions, because I know that if I didn't, I will be getting a phone call when I am out with the girls.
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 08:36 am
Phoenix, you may want to consider purchasing a UPS (uninterruptible power supply). If you get one of these your computer won't be affected by power surges because it is actually running off of a battery that is being recharged by the wall outlet. This way you can have lapses or surges up to 20 minutes long without any affect to your computer.

You may have had a power surge during the night that damaged your computer either through the ethernet cable or power cable even though your computer was turned off.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 08:38 am
stuh- I already have a surge supressor with a battery backup. I am quite puzzled as to why this happened, as the computer was fine when I turned it off, and it is fine now. Confused
0 Replies

stuh505

Reply Tue 17 Apr, 2007 08:49 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
stuh- I already have a surge supressor with a battery backup. I am quite puzzled as to why this happened, as the computer was fine when I turned it off, and it is fine now. Confused

1) Surge protector with battery backup is not necessarily the same device

2) You cannot always tell when damage has been done to your computer. There are large complicated circuits and if a little part of it gets fried it will often appear to continue to work as normal, but result in strange errors later on...such as randomly turning off, freezing, crashing a program, or something else

I do not use ZA but I am a bit baffled as to why it would have lost your rule list...because this would have been saved to your hard disk.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 09:24 am
Re: What astonished, or took you quite by surprise, today?
msolga wrote:
Well, it didn't make me smile, nor did it make me grimace & grit my teeth, so .... a new thread! Very Happy

I hadn't been paying much attention to a (cherry) tomato plant that I'd planted a couple of months ago in a large pot, on my decking. On one of those wheelie thingies, so I could move it out of the way of the wind, into the sun .... you get the picture. Laughing

Anyway, it was doing rather poorly, I thought, then I got very busy, so I wasn't paying much attention ...

Today, taking a break from my my work, I noticed that it had developed. Boy, had it developed, it was now taller than me! Surprised Straggly bits all over the place that needed to be staked. But the good news is: flowers & fruit! Very Happy

Amazing what can be happening while you're not paying any attention!
I now have a triffid tomato plant! I just wish it would stop getting taller!

I just noticed that I posted this in early December of last year. Do you know that this solitary triffid tomato plant has kept me supplied till now! (end of June & very wintry.) Abundant, it was, abundant! But the first frost, a few weeks ago, put an end to its amazing run. There are still a few brave little cherry tomatoes still hanging on & attempting to ripen & most of the leaves are now dead ... But how's that for an astonishing performance, hey? Very Happy
0 Replies

Eva

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 10:19 am
I am a great believer in Gardening by Benign Neglect, msolga.

(channeling Noddy today)
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 10:28 am
Eva wrote:
I am a great believer in Gardening by Benign Neglect, msolga.

(channeling Noddy today)

I like that, Eva! Very Happy
0 Replies

littlek

Reply Tue 26 Jun, 2007 05:44 pm
As usual, I come to complain about 'those people' - the people who make life harrowing on the roads of the greater boston area. I was almost in a wreck tonight when a guy took a left in front of me at an intersection. The street I was on is one with a very steep decline (maybe 30-35ยบ) into the intersection. I think those taking lefts there don't take the slope into consideration. The stoopid thing was that there was no one behind me, it would have cost him 3 seconds to wait for me to pass. As it was I had to come to a screeching halt, honking as I went. The guy stopped right in front of me and flipped me off before going on his way.
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 10/05/2024 at 05:13:07