Looking for a Job? Be Careful What You Say!

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2003 06:14 am
There are a number of things that can be learned from this story. First, if you are looking for a job, it is important not to be negative. Even if you would have like to strangle your former boss, telling a potential employer will not win points with him. In fact, he may react badly to your negativity, thinking that this sort of attitude will come with you into a new job.

Also, I believe that it is so important not to "burn your bridges". There is a tendency for people to want to tell a boss off when they quit. IMO it is better to part amicably. You never know when another firm will want information about you, and will ask your former boss. Also, this is such a small world. You never know who will socialize with a former boss.

The other point made in the article is that with the advent of the internet as an employment tool, there is a lot of information out there in cyberspace. Make sure that you don't put anything on the net that you would not want a potential boss to see.

Quote:
'Bitch Boss' Remark No Way to Win a Job
Fri Jun 20, 8:23 AM ET

LONDON (Reuters) - One called her boss a "bitch from hell" while another admitted "lying through his teeth" at interview.

Both the British job candidates were -- not surprisingly -- turned down after prospective employers discovered their candid comments on a public Web site.

The London recruitment firm which revealed the cases warned on Friday that employers were increasingly scouring the Internet to check what candidates are really like behind the rosy image they seek to project in CVs and interviews.

"One media sales executive aged 24 had a job offer withdrawn after a quick check on www.friendsreunited.co.uk revealed that the applicant only planned to stay in London for a few months before embarking on a world tour," London's Media Contacts said.

As well as missing out on the jobs they were aiming for, the frankness of some also cost them their current employment.

"Another candidate, an account manager, 26, for a well-known PR agency was forced to resign when she described her boss as a "Bitch from Hell" and her employer as "a bunch of cowboys," Media Contacts said.

In a third case, a senior sales executive seeking a move also ended up getting fired after boasting to the Friends Reunited site, set up to keep old school pals in touch, that he lied at interview and his CV was "a masterpiece of fiction."

"People should think carefully what they say about employers -- past and present -- and what they say about themselves in any public domain," Media Contacts' recruitment consultant Gordon Cherrington said. "Having fun...is a good thing, though negativity in any form, rarely reflects well on the writer."

Has anybody on A2k used the internet to obtain a job? Any experiences that you would like to share?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,775 • Replies: 2
No top replies

jespah

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2003 09:50 am
I got my last full-time job through Monster. One thing I want to point out to people is that employers hate multiple applications (e. g. you apply on Monster, and then on Dice, and then on CareerBuilder, etc.). However, if employers want to stop this, they should simply only post their jobs in one location. So, it's kind of an annoying thing but you can keep your sanity if you keep extremely good notes.

As for the folks who had job offers withdrawn, etc., oy, I mean, how foolish is that???
* why did they make themselves recognizable enough to be found so easily online?
* why did they make their former employer (or the like) so easy to be recognized online?
* why did they think a potential employer wouldn't investigate them?

Sorry, but the whole thing smacks of the potential employees being dumb as fence posts, and the employers are probably more than happy to have dodged such potential bullets.
0 Replies

New Haven

Reply Thu 3 Jul, 2003 04:50 pm
I'd never apply online. I still think the best application is one, you mail and then follow up with a phone call.
0 Replies