Bring David Hicks home (from Guantanamo) before Christmas!

msolga

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 01:49 am
http://network.news.com.au/image/0,10114,5492154,00.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 02:00 am
Hicks was no innocent abroad, but it's right that he's home
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 02:08 am
David Hicks' trial was a political fix by two governments
Tim McCormack (Tim McCormack is the Australian Red Cross professor of international humanitarian law at the Melbourne Law School. He attended the proceedings against David Hicks in Cuba in March as an adviser to the defence team on law-of-war issues.)
May 21, 2007/the AGE

NOW that David Hicks is back in Australia to serve out the rest of his sentence at Yatala, it is opportune to reflect on the implications of his "trial" for the future of the US military commission process. It is not a pretty picture.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 02:04 pm
Why put someone on trial that doesn't believe in your form of government? Why provide due process to someone who denounces the very concept of due process when they target innocent civilians?

If Oz thinks for one second it is more civilized than the USA you're full of it. If anything, being pussified and constantly letting others take care of your problems for you, while sticking your head in the sand and giving up your rights while defending those of asshats like this guy, is hardly civilized. Please take our demonrats - even the illegal aliens don't want them because they have no money and no balls.

What a joke.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Mon 21 May, 2007 03:33 pm
Yeah, just dispense with the illusion of the rule of law. Line 'em all up and shoot 'em. YeeHaa
Rolling Eyes
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 02:04 am
cjhsa wrote:
Why put someone on trial that doesn't believe in your form of government? Why provide due process to someone who denounces the very concept of due process when they target innocent civilians?

If Oz thinks for one second it is more civilized than the USA you're full of it. If anything, being pussified and constantly letting others take care of your problems for you, while sticking your head in the sand and giving up your rights while defending those of asshats like this guy, is hardly civilized. Please take our demonrats - even the illegal aliens don't want them because they have no money and no balls.

What a joke.

cjhsa

The Hicks trial process was a joke. Just about everyone here (in Oz) knows that. A convenient political fix between your government & ours.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 03:24 am
Life after Hicks
May 22, 2007 - 4:47PM
Sydney Morning Herald

http://www.smh.com.au/ffximage/2007/05/22/michaelmori_narrowweb__300x349,0.jpg
Major Michael Mori.
Photo: Justin Mcmanus

Last Friday evening Major Michael Mori stood at the Guantanamo Bay airfield and watched a white Gulfstream 550 luxury jet speed down the runway and disappear into the Caribbean sky.

It was the end to one of the most significant chapters of the US military lawyer's life.

Earlier, he had said goodbye to the jet's prized cargo, terrorism supporter David Hicks, and chose to watch with his own eyes Hicks's departure from the Guantanamo base in Cuba.

Mori declined to say what emotions he felt watching his client of almost four years finally on his way home.

All he would say was, on a professional level, he was pleased Hicks was finally returning to Australia.

"Job satisfaction I guess," Mori said today.

"Mission accomplished."

Hicks will spend the next seven months at Adelaide's Yatala prison and will then be a free man.

Mori's future is not so clear. ... <cont>

http://www.smh.com.au/news/world/life-after-hicks/2007/05/22/1179601394897.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 22 May, 2007 03:34 am
In case any of you (outside of Oz) are wondering just exactly who Major Michael Mori is .....: he's David Hicks's US military appointed lawyer. Practically a household name in Australia & a hero to many. One of the very few people to come out of this fiasco with integrity intact.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 23 May, 2007 03:08 am
msolga wrote:
In case any of you (outside of Oz) are wondering just exactly who Major Michael Mori is .....: he's David Hicks's US military appointed lawyer. Practically a household name in Australia & a hero to many. One of the very few people to come out of this fiasco with integrity intact.

He's a goofy looking god.

I wish him well in all he does.

I agree Msolga, he is a beacon of integrity in a filthy shambles.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Thu 24 May, 2007 04:57 am
dlowan wrote:
He's a goofy looking god.

Yes, it's true! Laughing
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 11:05 am
Related news

Charges against Khadr dropped

Quote:
U.S. NAVAL BASE GUANTANAMO BAY, Cuba -- A U.S. military judge on Monday dismissed all terrorism charges against Canadian Omar Khadr after ruling the Bush administration's new war crimes tribunals lacked jurisdiction to hear his case.

The stunning decision throws the controversial U.S. military commission into turmoil yet again and prompted immediate calls for the White House to scrap the controversial tribunals.

But despite the dismissal of Khadr's charges, the 20-year-old Canadian will remain behind bars at the American military base here. The judge ruled his decision should not prejudice future charges against the Toronto-born detainee, and the U.S. retains the right to hold him indefinitely as an "enemy combatant."

In his decision, Col. Peter Brownback ruled he could not hear Khadr's case because legislation passed by Congress last year establishing the military commissions requires that only "unlawful enemy combatants" face trial.

0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 03:34 pm
And on it goes....

So...they're letting him out now?
0 Replies

ehBeth

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 05:04 pm
Not letting him go. Trying to figure out what to do next.

Sticky wicket they've got there. They stuck the wrong label on.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Mon 4 Jun, 2007 10:19 pm
I was going to ask for more information about this case, ehBeth, but I see there's a new thread on the topic, so I'll follow from there:

UNLAWFUL COMBATANT:
http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=97597&highlight=
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 24 Jul, 2007 01:53 am
Law Council slams Govt in Hicks report
By Jane Cowan/ABC online

Posted 4 hours 46 minutes ago
Updated 4 hours 34 minutes ago

http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200701/r124632_449720.jpg
Lex Lasry says the trial and sentencing of Hicks before the US military commission was a charade (File photo). (ABC: ABC)

Convicted terrorism supporter David Hicks might have sunk from public view as he serves out his sentence in an Adelaide jail, but the Law Council's final report into his treatment at US prison Guantanamo Bay in Cuba is taking on new resonance in light of the case of Gold Coast-based doctor Mohamed Haneef.

The Law Council has just released the report in Melbourne, and its contents are likely to widen the growing divide that has opened between the Federal Government and the legal fraternity over the treatment of terror suspects.

It is nothing that has not been said before. But in his new report, Melbourne barrister Lex Lasry QC puts on the permanent record the criticisms he has made all along of the proceedings brought against David Hicks.

"The idea of the report is to provide some kind of public record of the detail of what happened," he said.

"But the conclusions that I think I announced a couple of times during interviews at the time - that the process was flawed and that the Australian Government was to be criticised for supporting it - remain."

Mr Lasry describes Hicks's trial and sentencing before the US military commission as a charade that only served to corrode the rule of law.

He says the Australian Government has never explained why it accepted the commission process as "full and fair".

And Mr Lasry suggests the Government might be hoping the pressure to do so will subside now that Hicks is back in Australia and will soon be a free man.

"I don't imagine the Government will take much notice of my criticisms because there seem to be a number of them," he said.

"But I'm not really worried about what they think; I'm more concerned about what the community thinks about the Government having supported this process when it was so obviously unfair, as at one stage in the process the US Supreme Court concluded."

Citizens' rights

Mr Lasry went to Guantanamo Bay in March this year as an independent observer for the Law Council of Australia.

The Law Council's president, Tim Bugg, says the report is a salient reminder.

"The report is very important because it's a reminder of the Australian Government's failure to protect one of its citizens' fundamental rights," he said.

Mr Bugg says the Hicks case is even more important in light of the Haneef case, which he says is an echo of what happened to Hicks.

"Clearly Dr Haneef is going to be subjected to a far better process because he's in the Australian justice system," he said.

"But nonetheless the Hicks case highlighted that a citizen's rights were simply jettisoned because of political considerations, rather than considerations of principle.

"The Law Council is very concerned that there is more than a hint of the same occurring in relation to Dr Haneef."

Labor's 'weak stance'

Today Mr Lasry not only criticised the Federal Government, but also said the Federal Opposition has failed to play a strong enough role in scrutinising the Government.

"We presently have a Federal Opposition that is not prepared to get involved in these discussions, it would seem, on issues of national security," he said.

"I know they say they'll debate Iraq, but they don't seem to be willing to debate important principles that can affect ordinary people caught up in a suspected terrorism situation."

Mr Lasry says lawyers have had to step in to provide some balance in the public debate.

"What lawyers are doing is not trying to promote themselves at their clients' expense but rather let people know what's at stake, and I think that's an important thing to be doing," he said.

"So of course we're criticised, because it's the opposite of what the Government would want to happen, I suspect."

Mr Lasry was once a member of the Labor Party but says is dismayed at the party's weak stance on the Haneef case.

"The principle is too important to just say, 'Well, we take the Government at its word,'" he said.

"I just think in the present circumstances you wouldn't do that - I don't.

"People should be asking the kinds of questions that I suspect the Premier of Queensland is asking, and of course he's now seen as the agent of Kevin Rudd."

He says the important thing is that the public is now paying close attention to the way anti-terrorism laws are applied.

"My perception, which is probably not an objective assessment, is that people watching on in the Haneef case are really starting to wonder about this taking the Government at face value on issues of terrorism," he said.

"So I think we're making some progress; I think people are asking the questions and that's the important thing to be happening."

http://www.abc.com.au/news/stories/2007/07/24/1986698.htm
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 02:09 am
Rudd wants PM's statement on Hicks plea bargain
Posted 2 hours 6 minutes ago
Updated 1 hour 33 minutes ago

Federal Opposition Leader Kevin Rudd wants Prime Minister John Howard to reveal the content of any discussions he had with the US Vice-President Dick Cheney about releasing David Hicks from Guantanamo Bay.

An article in Harper's Magazine quotes an unnamed US military officer as saying that Vice-President Cheney and Mr Howard agreed on the plea bargain.

The officer described the treatment of the issue as demoralising and was quoted as saying the whole process had disintegrated into a political charade.

After five years of detention in Guantanamo Bay, a deal was sealed for 32-year-old Hicks to serve a nine-month prison sentence in Australia, subject to him pleading guilty to a charge of providing material support for terrorism.

Hicks agreed to the deal in March and is now due for release from Adelaide's Yatala Prison at the end of the year.

After the deal was announced, Mr Howard denied any involvement in the plea bargain.

"We didn't impose the sentence, the sentence was imposed by the military commission and the plea bargain was worked out between the military prosecution and Mr Hicks' lawyers," Mr Howard said in March.

Foreign Affairs Minister Alexander Downer denies Mr Howard struck a deal to have Hicks released but Mr Rudd says he has his suspicions.

"I would be very interested to hear Mr Howard's statement on what the Vice-President has had to say today. That's the first point," he said.

"Secondly in relation to Mr Hicks I have never defended anyone when it comes to terrorist acts."

http://www.abc.com.au/news/stories/2007/10/23/2068009.htm
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 02:18 am
Hicks faces control order
October 23, 2007 - 3:55PM
The Age

Justice Minister David Johnston and Australian Federal Police chief Mick Keelty have today refused to speculate about the conditions likely to be placed on convicted terrorism supporter David Hicks after his release from prison.

Their comments follow an ABC Radio report this morning that AFP officers advised Hicks they would be applying for a control order, which would restrict his movements and communications.

However, Senator Johnston said strong measures were needed because there was a "huge degree of difference" between criminal and terrorism offenders, while Mr Keelty said control orders had proven to be "useful tools'' in dealing with terrorists.

Meanwhile, the terrorism supporter's father says he hopes to meet with AFP officials to discuss the terms of any control order on his son.

Terry Hicks today said news of a possible control order was no surprise, but he remained concerned it could be unfair and could ruin his son's life.

"The thing that worries me is that they could go overboard with it and destroy someone's life in the meantime," Mr Hicks said.

The Greens and Australian Democrats have condemned any such move, saying the orders violated people's liberties.

Senator Johnston this afternoon confirmed Australian Federal Police (AFP) officers had visited Hicks in Adelaide's Yatala jail, but he would not confirm an earlier ABC Radio report that the officers advised Hicks they would be applying for a control order.

The control order would restrict Hicks's movements and communications and require him to regularly report to police for up to 12 months, the ABC said.

"I'm not going to speculate what conditions they've put on," he told reporters. ...<cont>

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/hicks-faces-control-order/2007/10/23/1192941022358.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 05:58 am
So you plan to welcome him back into society with open arms msolga?
0 Replies

Builder

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 06:35 am
cjhsa wrote:

I do, and so should you, if you are really a patriotic American.
0 Replies

cjhsa

Reply Tue 23 Oct, 2007 07:13 am
Builder wrote:
cjhsa wrote:

I do, and so should you, if you are really a patriotic American.

He's not an American.... plus, he's an enemy combatant. Releasing him into the civilian population is like letting Charlie Manson out on his own recognizance so he can attend the Oscars...
0 Replies