Bring David Hicks home (from Guantanamo) before Christmas!

msolga

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 10:48 pm
Hicks released from prison
Posted 6 hours 42 minutes ago
Updated 3 hours 35 minutes ago/ABC NEWS online

http://www.abc.net.au/reslib/200712/r213884_826673.jpg
David Hicks was driven from Adelaide's Yatala Prison after his release this morning. (AAP: Tom Miletic)

Confessed terrorism supporter David Hicks has been released from Adelaide's Yatala Prison.

Mr Hicks emerged from the prison shortly after 8:00am ACDT but did not stop to speak to reporters, instead he was driven from the facility. His lawyer David McLeod read a statement on his behalf.

In it 32-year-old Mr Hicks apologised for not appearing before the media himself, but said that he was not strong enough.

He has also agreed not to talk to the media about some matters before the end of next March, as part of his conditions of release from Guantanamo Bay.

"It is my intention to honour this agreement as I don't want to do anything that might result in my return there," Mr McLeod read from the statement.

"I would ask that the media and the public understand and accept this. I do however take this opportunity to say some overdue thank-yous.

"First and foremost, I would like to recognise the huge debt of gratitude that I owe the Australian public for getting me home."

The Federal Government has urged the media and the public to respect Mr Hicks' privacy and Attorney-General Robert McClelland says he is entitled to start rebuilding his life.

Mr Hicks' father Terry says he spoke to his son for a short time before his release and says it might take a while for him to get used to being a free man.

"I asked him how he was feeling, but he still hadn't properly handled it at the time. All he had to do was walk out that door," he said.

He says he wants to give his son some space for a couple days before contacting him again.

"It's hard after six years and all of a sudden he's out here," he said.

"I hope he can get on with his life. I'm not David's mentor now, he's his own man and I'll give him whatever advice he wants, but otherwise he's on his own."

Supporters of Mr Hicks hope his release will mean a clean break for him, but his new life will begin under strict conditions.

An interim control order requires Hicks to report to police three times a week and comply with a curfew.

Mr Hicks was transferred from Guantanamo Bay to Adelaide's Yatala jail nine months ago, where he had to serve the remainder of his sentence for providing material support for terrorism.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/12/29/2128664.htm
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 10:58 pm
From a few days ago.:

Freedom may not be easy for Hicks
Penelope Debelle, Adelaide
December 24, 2007
the AGE

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2007/12/23/HICKS_narrowweb__300x378,0.jpg
Hicks: his mental state is "very fragile", says his lawyer.

IN FIVE days David Hicks will be free, but he is not about to embark on a normal life.

The former Muslim extremist suffers from agoraphobia and anxiety. After six years largely in solitary confinement, five of them in the US military terrorist prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, he is psychologically unprepared to pick up the threads of his old life.

His mental condition is so fragile he is unwilling to try to clear his name through a Federal Court appearance which, in the absence of evidence to the contrary, has branded him a highly trained terrorist who is a risk to the population and a resource for extremist groups.

In the Federal Magistrates Court in Adelaide last week, magistrate Warren Donald was clearly concerned that the material before him was old, and he invited Hicks to provide him with alternative information.

Outside the court, Hicks' lawyer, David McLeod, said Hicks' mental state was "very fragile".

He said it remained to be seen whether he had the strength to challenge aspects of the control order against him when the case returned to court in February.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Fri 28 Dec, 2007 11:12 pm
Opinion:

A shameful episode
http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/2007/12/29/svOPED_DEC29_wideweb__470x277,0.jpg
Illustration: Andrew Dyson

Tim McCormack
December 29, 2007
the AGE

DAVID Hicks will leave Yatala prison today, ending more than six years of incarceration since he was captured by the Northern Alliance and handed over to United States military authorities in Afghanistan in November 2001. His transition provides an opportune moment to reflect on selected aspects of this sordid episode of our recent national experience.

The challenges for Hicks are prodigious. He has paid a terrible price for stupid decisions he made many years ago. We do not yet know the full extent of his mental condition but recent media reports of the assessment by Melbourne forensic psychiatrist Professor Paul Mullen suggest that the transition to relative freedom will be both protracted and complex.

But in contrast with the vast majority of fellow Guantanamo Bay inmates, Hicks has been provided with an opportunity for personal rehabilitation. While some will seek to exploit him and his story for their own ends, it is hoped that he can surround himself with wise counsel and with friends as faithful and as supportive as his family proved to be throughout the long years of pervasive Australian indifference to his plight.

For the Howard government, the timing of Hicks' release was always intended to occur well after the federal election.

While John Howard successfully orchestrated the removal of the Hicks case as an explicit election issue, the stench of the Coalition's mishandling of the case has lingered.

There are too many lamentable aspects of the former government's approach for any comprehensive enumeration but some standouts justify mention. Who could ever forget an expressionless Philip Ruddock, as first law officer of the nation, blithely dismissing criticism of the US Military Commission's admissibility of hearsay evidence as hyperbole because in Australian domestic criminal law we also allow exceptions to the hearsay rule?

Our then foreign minister, Alexander Downer, ranted against anyone critical of the military commissions as somehow condoning the acts of a very naughty boy who was finally getting his just deserts.

Our then prime minister, when finally faced with intense public disapproval for his personal failure to insist on a fair trial for an Australian citizen, huffed and puffed in an attempt to convince the nation that his demands of the Bush Administration would ensure an expeditious conclusion to the unacceptably protracted proceedings.

Journalist Leigh Sales has persuasively argued that the critical strategic policy error of the Howard government was to prematurely extend unqualified endorsement of the Bush Administration policy of military commissions to try suspects in the self-declared "global war on terror". In Detainee 002: The Case of David Hicks, Sales contrasts the Howard government's rush to support the US proposal with the more nuanced approach, for example, of the British Government. ...<cont>

http://www.theage.com.au/news/opinion/a-shameful-episode/2007/12/28/1198778699299.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 12:59 am
David Hicks's complete statement
December 29, 2007
The Australian

THIS is the full text of David Hicks's statement upon his release from Adelaide's Yatala jail today. The statement was read to media by his lawyer, David McLeod.

"Thank you for coming out on a Saturday and during the holiday period.

"I know you all hoped I might appear and answer some questions.

"I had hoped to be able to speak to the media but I am just not strong enough at the moment - it's as simple as that.

"I am sorry for that.

"As part of my conditions of release from Guantanamo Bay, I agreed not to speak to the media on a range of issues before March 30, 2008.

"It's my intention to honour this agreement as I don't want to do anything that might result in my return there.

"So for now, I will limit what I have to say - I will say more at a later time.

"I would ask the media and the public understand and respect this.

"I do however want to take this opportunity to say some overdue thank yous.

"First and foremost, I would like to recognise the huge debt of gratitude that I owe the Australian public for getting me home. I will not forget, or let you down.

"Next, I would like to thank my family and friends who have been so supportive of me. Words cannot adequately express the level of my feelings for them. I love them very much.

"Also my team of lawyers: Major Dan Mori, Josh Dratel, Michael Griffin, Steve Kenny and David McLeod, as well as their legal teams in Adelaide, Sydney, Washington and London. Much of their work was carried out pro-bono and they know I owe my freedom to their efforts.

"I also thank the legal profession within Australia, including the Law Council of Australia and the state Law Societies, and those abroad, who strove to uphold the ideal of a free trial for an Australian citizen.

"Many thanks go to the Fair Go For David campaigners and organisations such as Amnesty International, GetUp, the International Committee of the Red Cross, Dick Smith, church groups including the Catholic Church, and various anti-torture and human rights groups.

"The Red Cross played an important role by trying to improve conditions and the treatment of detainees at Guantanamo Bay. I thank them from the bottom of my heart for their efforts.

"There are certain politicians I would also like to particularly mention and thank: Senator Natasha Stott Despoja, Danna Vale, Sandra Kanck, Senator Bob Brown, Senator Kerry Nettle, Mark Parnell, Senator Linda Kirk, Nicola Roxon, Bob Debus, Rob Hull, Frances Bedford, Kris Hanna and many others who preferred to work behind the scenes.

"A huge thank you also to the members of the media who wrote about and increased public awareness of my detention and treatment over the years. Without you, the court of public opinion would not have been as informed or influential.

"There are many other groups, both large and small, and individuals involved in the campaign for my return to Australia, and to them I offer them my heartfelt thanks.

"This list is in no particular order and to anyone that I haven't mentioned, I am very sorry. I hope to thank all of you personally at a later date.

"Right now I am looking forward to some quiet time with my wonderful Dad, my family and friends.

"I ask that you respect my privacy as I will need time to readjust to society and to obtain medical care for the consequences of five and a half years at Guantanamo Bay.

"I have been told that my readjustment will be a slow process and should involve a gentle transition away from the media spotlight.

"Thank you for respecting my privacy and allowing me some breathing space to get on with my life."

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/story/0,25197,22984070-12377,00.html
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 10:57 pm
Actually, I thought Labor was having a (very subdued) bob each way prior to the election.:

Govt attacked for being tight-lipped on Guantanamo
Posted 2 hours 33 minutes ago/ABC NEWS online

The former lawyer for convicted terrorism support David Hicks has criticised the Federal Government for not demanding the closure of US detention centre Guantanamo Bay.

Mr Hicks was released from Adelaide's Yatala Prison yesterday after spending six years in prison, five at Guantanamo Bay in Cuba.

Lawyer Stephen Kenny says Labor has done little to speak out against Guantanamo since it formed Government.

"At the present stage they haven't distinguished themselves from the former government because they've made no comment on it at all," he said.

"While Hicks was detained there I did receive assistance from various members of the Labor Party but I have, I can honestly say, been disappointed.

"It has been disappointing that they haven't seen fit to stand-up to what is a very clear breach of human rights."

Mr Kenny says the Government must call on the US President to close the facility and ensure a fair trial for the prisoners.

The Democrats and South Australian Greens Senator-elect Sarah Hanson-Young are also calling for the camp's closure.

"Legal experts around the world have condemned Guantanamo Bay," she said.

"It's an icon of lawlessness."

Yesterday Mr Hicks issued a statement thanking supporters who campaigned for his repatriation, including the now federal Labor Minister, Nicola Roxon.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2007/12/30/2128956.htm
0 Replies

Amigo

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 11:07 pm
msolga, I didn't even know about david Hicks intill i'd seen this thread just now. I will have to read through this. Thank you.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 11:26 pm
This has been our own personalized (as Australians) experience of Guantanamo, Amigo. Two Australians were incarcerated there. One was released earlier but David Hicks's case has been quite a saga! If he hadn't agreed to a "guilty" plee he would most likely still be locked up there today. (As you will see, if you read your way through this thread.) Neither of the two major political parties in this country can be said to have taken a principled stand on the legitimacy/legality of Guantanamo (unlike the British government). Rather, this issue has been fought by the legal profession, some sections of the media, various organisations & committed individuals. And, to our amazement, they forced a conservative government to act! (Behind the scenes with the US administration) ONLY because it looked dangerously like becoming a hot political issue in the last election.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 29 Dec, 2007 11:31 pm
Our other Guantanamo detainee was Mahmoud Habib.:

http://www.able2know.org/forums/viewtopic.php?t=44384
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 12:16 am
Well, David Hicks may not be commenting (& who would expect that he would, in his predicament?) but his laywer is:

Hicks not guilty of any crime, says lawyer
December 30, 2007 - 4:27PM
The AGE

David Hicks would not have been convicted of a terrorism-related charge by any fair court, his former lawyer says. Hicks had simply accepted an "offer he couldn't refuse" to get out of a US military prison at Guantanamo Bay, Cuba, lawyer Stephen Kenny said today.

Hicks has been fingerprinted by police, but remains in hiding at a secret location in Adelaide following his release from jail yesterday.

The 32-year-old was freed from custody for the first time in more than six years after completing a sentence struck in a plea bargain with the US military commission.

Mr Kenny, who was Hicks' lawyer from 2002 to 2005, described the plea bargain as "an offer he couldn't refuse".

Under the deal, struck in March this year, Hicks was sentenced to seven years jail with all but nine months suspended, and removed from the US military prison at Guantanamo Bay - where he had been held since January 2002.

"It's very clear, considering David is the one and only prisoner that has been processed in Guantanamo Bay, he was made essentially an offer that he couldn't refuse to get him out of there," Mr Kenny told AAP.

"It's hardly the process of a normal court.

"If I spent five and a half years in Guantanamo Bay in the conditions that he was in - with a great deal of uncertainty about the outcome and expectation that you would face an entirely unsatisfactory tribunal - and you were offered six months in an Australian prison before you were released, I have no doubt I would have taken that offer as well."

Mr Kenny said he would liked to have had the chance to test the US allegations against Hicks.

"It was quite clear on all the evidence we had, there was no evidence that he had actually committed any crime," he said.

"I have no doubt that being able to get him back home was entirely political.

"I wouldn't have minded testing the allegations before an Australian court because I was quite convinced that no Australian court would ever convict him - I don't believe that in a fair court he would have been convicted of anything.

"The fact that he was hanging out with some fairly undesirable people was not in itself a criminal offence, it is now of course, but it wasn't at that time."

Mr Kenny said Hicks "would be concerned" about his guilty plea.

"It is a stigma," he said.

"But you would probably take the risk, otherwise he could still be sitting in Guantanamo Bay like hundreds of others facing a very uncertain future.

"What concerns me is the fact that Guantanamo Bay wasn't good enough for any American citizen but was fine for Australians.

"I could never work out why an Australian government would allow an Australian citizen to be tried in an American tribunal which wasn't good enough for Americans, it smacked of suggesting we were second class citizens and I think all Australians were offended by that."

Mr Kenny said he would meet Hicks within weeks.

"I would like to meet him at a time when he can actually stand up as opposed to being shackled to the floor, which when I saw him, that what he mostly was," he said.

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/hicks-not-guilty-says-lawyer/2007/12/30/1198949666142.html
0 Replies

Mame

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 01:21 am
Having read only a few of these pages and having done a google search on him, I'm confused about what this is really all about. Are you against the illegality of the Guantanamo incarceration of people with no fair trial or do you view David Hicks as a hero?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 01:32 am
Mame wrote:
Having read only a few of these pages and having done a google search on him, I'm confused about what this is really all about. Are you against the illegality of the Guantanamo incarceration of people with no fair trial or do you view David Hicks as a hero?

If i read the mood of most Australians this was about illegal detention. Extended incarceration without charge.

Hicks was eventually charged under laws that were not in effect at the time of his supposed offenses.

I dont think David Hicks would ever be considered a hero by most Australians. Naive and stupid possibly but not a hero.
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 01:41 am
dadpad wrote:
Mame wrote:

If i read the mood of most Australians this was about illegal detention. Extended incarceration without charge.

Hicks was eventually charged under laws that were not in effect at the time of his supposed offenses.

I dont think David Hicks would ever be considered a hero by most Australians. Naive and stupid possibly but not a hero.

It is also about the fact that, while other governments such as that of the UK, acted to protect their citizens from the outrageous behaviour of the Bush administration in setting up and persisting with a facility such as Guantanamo, by extraditing their citizens and, if warranted, charging them under proper laws and trying them with proper judicial process, the then conservative government here in Australia took no action whatsoever to oppose the the moral and legal travesty of Guantanamo, and allowed Hicks to be kept there for years.

Partly, it is likely that this was because HICKS BROKE NO AUSTRALIAN LAWS.

If anyone regards him as a hero thay are, in my view, very misguided. I don't think many do.

However, his treatment was despicable, both at the hands of the US and at the hands of the Howard government.

This is a matter of standing up for the rule of law, even when someone is an emotionally confused and misguided idiot that we don't like very much.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 03:39 pm
Yes. (agreeing with what dadpad & Deb posted)

Also a human rights issue.

As much as anything else, I think, the Hicks campaign was a protest about our (then) government's blind allegience to all things GWB/US & the excesses of the "war on terror", which outraged many Australians.

Was he an admired hero? I don't thank any of us actually thought that. He was simply a pawn in an increasingly evil political game & the point came where many of us thought that enough was enough & that his suffering should cease. Five years of Guantanamo seemed way out of proportion to what he had actually done.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 30 Dec, 2007 04:11 pm
http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/common/imagedata/0,,5820777,00.jpg
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sun 30 Mar, 2008 07:02 am
David Hicks free to talk

http://www.theage.com.au/ffximage/davidhicks_wideweb__470x311,4.jpg
David Hicks, left, with his father Terry.
Photo: David Mariuz

March 30, 2008 - 10:04AM

The gag order on convicted terrorism supporter David Hicks expired today, but it is unclear whether he will talk.

The former Guantanamo Bay inmate has received a number of requests to tell his story once the gag order imposed by US military officials expired today.

However, David Hicks is barred from profiting from his story.

David Hicks' father has said his son has yet to decide whether to talk, while his lawyer says the former prisoner was emotionally fragile and lacking in confidence.

Terry Hicks said he did not know what his son would do.

"I'm not sure what is going to happen," Terry Hicks said.

"As far as I know, nothing has been decided."

David Hicks' lawyer, David McLeod, earlier this week said "nothing had been arranged".

Mr McLeod has said David Hicks was still in a fragile state, lacked confidence despite the backing of family and friends, and may never tell his tale.

Last March, a US military commission sentenced Mr Hicks to seven years in jail, with all but nine months suspended after he pleaded guilty to providing material support to terrorism.

Under a plea bargain, Mr Hicks was returned to Australia from the US military prison at Guantanamo Bay in May last year to serve the remainder of his sentence. He was released from Yatala Prison in December.

Under an order imposed by the Federal Magistrates Court, Mr Hicks has to report to police twice each week and has a night-time curfew, along with other restrictions.

That order will expire in December this year unless the Australian Federal Police applies to have it extended.

AAP

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/david-hicks-free-to-talk/2008/03/30/1206815301644.html
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 12:56 am
Well what a surprise! Rolling Eyes :

Hicks charge was 'political'
Chris Hammer
April 30, 2008/the AGE

SUPPORTERS of David Hicks say revelations at Guantanamo Bay may be the first step in overturning his conviction for providing material support for terrorism.

The former chief prosecutor of the Guantanamo Bay trials, Colonel Morris Davis, has given startling evidence that he faced political pressure to prosecute Hicks, even though he did not want to proceed against him because the charges were not serious enough.

He said he had "inherited" the case from a previous prosecutor and would not otherwise have charged Hicks because he wanted to focus on more serious cases with the potential to secure 20-year prison sentences.

Hicks' lawyer, David McLeod, has told The Age he is confident that sooner or later either the US Supreme Court or the American political process will find the military commission system that convicted Hicks either unlawful or unsustainable.

"If the Supreme Court gets rid of the commissions, his conviction will go with it, and so will the proceeds-of-crime constraints," Mr McLeod said. It is also possible Hicks would then be in a position to seek compensation.

Colonel Davis has told a pre-trial hearing at Guantanamo Bay that political appointees forced him to press charges against Hicks.

He also said that top military officials went around him to negotiate plea agreements and that he was not party to the plea deal under which Hicks was convicted and then transferred to an Australian prison.

Colonel Davis resigned as chief prosecutor in October last year. He gave evidence about the Hicks case while testifying as a defence witness for another Guantanamo inmate, Salim Hamdan, the former driver of Osama bin Laden.

Colonel Davis said Pentagon officials had interfered with his work for political reasons and told him charges against well-known detainees "could have real strategic political value".

Colonel Davis also testified that a senior Pentagon official who oversaw the military commissions, Brigadier General Thomas Hartmann, insisted that prosecutors proceed with evidence derived through "water boarding", an interrogation method that simulates drowning and which critics of Guantanamo Bay describe as a form of torture.

Welcoming Colonel Davis' statements about his son's case, Hicks' father, Terry, said this was the first time such a senior US official had admitted that charges would not have been laid if it were not for political pressure.

"I always said David was a pawn who was used for political purposes. It could be the first step in having the whole process deemed as illegal," Mr Hicks said.

Former prime minister John Howard and his senior ministers have consistently denied the plea bargain was a political fix, insisting that it was handled entirely by the Americans.

Colonel Davis' revelations indicate the treatment of Hicks was decided at a political level in the US, not at a purely military or legal level.

Throughout November and December 2006 and January 2007 the Howard government placed increasing private and public pressure on the United States to charge David Hicks, who by December 2006 had been in detention for five years. Opinion polls showed a significant majority of Australians wanted Hicks returned to Australia and his treatment was becoming a significant political problem for the government in an election year.

Hicks was formally charged less than two weeks later, just weeks before a visit to Australia by US Vice-President Dick Cheney.

In a plea deal, Hicks pleaded guilty to providing material support for terrorism. He was sentenced to seven years' imprisonment, but served only nine months in South Australia's Yatala Prison as part of the deal.

He is the only Guantanamo detainee to have been convicted.

With AGENCIES

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/hicks-charge-was-political/2008/04/29/1209234862002.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 02:31 am
msolga wrote:

I have to admit my first thought when I saw it on the news was 'no sh1t sherlock'. Is there anyone in Australia who will say 'Really?'
0 Replies

dlowan

Reply Wed 30 Apr, 2008 02:46 am
msolga wrote:

Chris Hammer
April 30, 2008/the AGE

SUPPORTERS of David Hicks say revelations at Guantanamo Bay may be the first step in overturning his conviction for providing material support for terrorism.

The former chief prosecutor of the Guantanamo Bay trials, Colonel Morris Davis, has given startling evidence that he faced political pressure to prosecute Hicks, even though he did not want to proceed against him because the charges were not serious enough.

He said he had "inherited" the case from a previous prosecutor and would not otherwise have charged Hicks because he wanted to focus on more serious cases with the potential to secure 20-year prison sentences.

Hicks' lawyer, David McLeod, has told The Age he is confident that sooner or later either the US Supreme Court or the American political process will find the military commission system that convicted Hicks either unlawful or unsustainable.

"If the Supreme Court gets rid of the commissions, his conviction will go with it, and so will the proceeds-of-crime constraints," Mr McLeod said. It is also possible Hicks would then be in a position to seek compensation.

Colonel Davis has told a pre-trial hearing at Guantanamo Bay that political appointees forced him to press charges against Hicks.

He also said that top military officials went around him to negotiate plea agreements and that he was not party to the plea deal under which Hicks was convicted and then transferred to an Australian prison.

Colonel Davis resigned as chief prosecutor in October last year. He gave evidence about the Hicks case while testifying as a defence witness for another Guantanamo inmate, Salim Hamdan, the former driver of Osama bin Laden.

Colonel Davis said Pentagon officials had interfered with his work for political reasons and told him charges against well-known detainees "could have real strategic political value".

Colonel Davis also testified that a senior Pentagon official who oversaw the military commissions, Brigadier General Thomas Hartmann, insisted that prosecutors proceed with evidence derived through "water boarding", an interrogation method that simulates drowning and which critics of Guantanamo Bay describe as a form of torture.

Welcoming Colonel Davis' statements about his son's case, Hicks' father, Terry, said this was the first time such a senior US official had admitted that charges would not have been laid if it were not for political pressure.

"I always said David was a pawn who was used for political purposes. It could be the first step in having the whole process deemed as illegal," Mr Hicks said.

Former prime minister John Howard and his senior ministers have consistently denied the plea bargain was a political fix, insisting that it was handled entirely by the Americans.

Colonel Davis' revelations indicate the treatment of Hicks was decided at a political level in the US, not at a purely military or legal level.

Throughout November and December 2006 and January 2007 the Howard government placed increasing private and public pressure on the United States to charge David Hicks, who by December 2006 had been in detention for five years. Opinion polls showed a significant majority of Australians wanted Hicks returned to Australia and his treatment was becoming a significant political problem for the government in an election year.

Hicks was formally charged less than two weeks later, just weeks before a visit to Australia by US Vice-President Dick Cheney.

In a plea deal, Hicks pleaded guilty to providing material support for terrorism. He was sentenced to seven years' imprisonment, but served only nine months in South Australia's Yatala Prison as part of the deal.

He is the only Guantanamo detainee to have been convicted.

With AGENCIES

http://www.theage.com.au/news/national/hicks-charge-was-political/2008/04/29/1209234862002.html?page=fullpage#contentSwap1

What a shock.

Good on this Colonel Davis for speaking out.

When I was reserching the whole Guantanamo (and Iraq) debacle ages ago, I was impressed to read of the extent to which the military's own lawyers spoke out against the so-called legal processes being set in place by Rumsfeld et al when Guantanamo was founded.

I read that many of them stoutly asserted that the normal legal processes put in place by the US military earlier ought to obtain, and they have continued to do so.
0 Replies

msolga

Reply Sat 20 Dec, 2008 10:56 pm
Finally it's over.

Good luck with the rest of your life, David.
I hope you're given enough privacy to make the best of your situation. :

Hicks control order ends
Posted 8 hours 51 minutes ago
Updated 8 hours 13 minutes ago

Convicted terrorism supporter David Hicks has today been freed from a strict control order.

Mr Hicks was placed under the order when he was released from Adelaide's Yatala Prison nearly a year ago.

It expired at midnight.

The order required him to report to police, have a midnight curfew and limited where he could go.

Lawyer David McLeod, says it is a relief, and Mr Hicks can now get on with his life.

"I think he's really still trying to come to terms with the fact that he is on the rehabilitation path," he said.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/stories/2008/12/21/2452039.htm
Deckland

Reply Sun 21 Dec, 2008 07:57 pm
I don't know if Mr Hicks made much money for his mercenary work, but I dare
say he will do all right from the publishing companies next year.
I am happy for his family though .. must be a load of their minds.
0 Replies