Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 10:41 am
My Belgian waffle maker I had for years went South (stopped working). I purchased a VillaWare from Cooking.com and it was unsatisfactory (sprayed on non-stick which they specified you treat with oil!) It immediately went back. Tried a Chef's Choice and it's going back as it was not a real Belgian waffle maker and baked unevenly. I understand the better VillaWare are the best Belgian waffle makers so I want to get the better quality model (it's on sale for $59.95 at Katherine's Kitchen Emporium and Cooking.com doesn't carry it). Anyone here recommend a Belgian waffle maker?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 2 • Views: 2,876 • Replies: 14
No top replies

JerryR

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 10:57 am
Hi LW,

Funny, I was having some trouble deciding on one a few weeks ago.

I went with the cuisinart, and am happy with it. (as happy as I get with waffle irons Laughing )

Here's a link:

Cuisinart on Amazon
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 02:28 pm
I figured that was a good one but I'm kind of set on the round configuration -- the higher quality VillaWare seems to be the one that gets the best reviews online. The cheap model was "you get exactly what you pay for."
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 03:49 pm
we still have our GE waffle maker we got as a throwaway by my mom. It works perfectly and is good old solid iron. Makes the best waffles .
The problem with newer appliances is theyve got a death chip that makes em crap out ina few years. While many old, less complicated ones just keep cookin and smokin. We have a "new" 10 year old automatic Black and Decker Belgian waffle maker,never used it, gave it away to a yard sale for charity.What the hell does Black and Decker know about waffles?
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 04:05 pm
Ah, the evolution of the good ole Belgian waffle maker (think you and I can start debating about the experts on this one, farmerman?) The reason I gravitated toward the VillaWare is that they make commercial waffle irons and the restaurant on Newport Harbor who makes wonderful Belgian waffles (and they actually use the Krusteaze Belgian waffle mix which I actually like better than from scratch) has used that brand for years. I did go ahead an order the better model so this will be my third one in a month but perhaps the third time's a charm?

Actually, I used the Hamilton Beach for over four years and it was only until the non-stick stopped working that I junked it. Now I have heard that using PAM on non-stick surfaces is verboten as it eventually destroys the non-stick quality.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 04:08 pm
This is the one I ordered and with free freight and no sales tax!

http://www.gatelys.com/lookfirm/unorobewa.html
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 05:57 pm
Wiz-do you have a place where that krusty's waffle mix. We use a standard "from scratch" mix and keep adding more butter until its so rich you cannot stand it. This year has been a break in the summer waffle making because the strawberries were a bust due to all the rain.
The more butter, the richer and krispier. We also double the sugar
0 Replies

Montana

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 10:53 pm
Now I'm hungry. <sigh>
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2003 08:17 am
You're making what seems close to a true Belgian waffle but there is also more eggwhite and less yoke. The egg is beat up into the sugar first and then the flower and liquid is added. Krusteaz brand Belgian waffle mix should be available in any local supermarket. It asks to add one whole egg (it already contains powdered egg white), oil (or butter) and water. You get a very crispy outside and a light, porous inside. This is mostly due to the extra sugar and the egg white. I always beat up the egg white until it is foamy but one could also beat up the egg yolk and then fold it into the batter. The batter should never be overmixed -- some small lumps left in the mix seems to make a better waffle. I often add chocolate chips and pecans but there are a myriad of other ingredients one could add to a Belgian waffle.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2003 03:29 pm
I like em with whole berries (raspberries in a syrup are my favorite) then some vanilla ice cream and a fresh buttercream. goes right to the arteries.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Mon 23 Jun, 2003 05:36 pm
I was writing about what ingredients I add to the mix but toppins are also a decision. Yes, fresh berries but I prefer a light whipping cream. Real maple syrup and butter heated to pour on top is great (of course, it takes advantages of the deep pockets in a Belgian Waffle which you can OD on the syrup!) The pecan/chocolate chips is probably my favorite and the maple syrup on top. I prefer the dark chocolate chips with little sugar. I do follow a low (or nor) sugar and carb diet but I cheat when it comes to Belgian waffles! I don't eat the every day -- maybe twice a month.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Tue 24 Jun, 2003 06:31 am
were making some this morning. Im on a goof off summer so Ive got lots of time to make stuff like this. Its among the messiest of single bowl meals.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 11:42 am
You're no suppose to stir them up with a Black & Decker electric drill paint paddle! Laughing

I'm anxiously awaiting the package so I can make some this Sunday. Already made the dark chocolate chips (I used Baker's chocolate and Supra to make the chips, making them somewhat less debauching Laughing ).
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 12:07 pm
Anybody know why they're called "Belgian waffle?" c.i.
0 Replies

Lightwizard

Reply Thu 26 Jun, 2003 12:32 pm
0 Replies