Conservatives Are More Generous Than Liberals

cicerone imposter

Reply Thu 7 Dec, 2006 05:14 pm
"Scientific survey" is an oxymoron without knowing the methodology, how, who, how many, and what populations were included. How were the samples collected? How were the questions asked? How were the samples taken and used?
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 7 Dec, 2006 05:15 pm
Define conservatism.

What is your evidence that "conservatives" who meet such a definition contribute more to charity than does anyone else? What organizations can be considered "charities" for the purposes of such a discussion?

You are completely ignoring valid objections to the premise of this polemic.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 7 Dec, 2006 05:35 pm
You react as if this was an unforseeable turn of events, Set.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 7 Dec, 2006 05:41 pm
Yeah, ya got me . . . silly me . . .
0 Replies

Monte Cargo

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2006 02:10 am
Re: Conservatives Are More Generous Than Liberals
Gargamel wrote:
Foxfyre wrote:
Philanthropy Expert Says Conservatives Are More Generous
BY FRANK BRIEADDY
c.2006 Newhouse News Service

SYRACUSE, N.Y. -- Syracuse University professor Arthur C. Brooks is about to become the darling of the religious right wing in America -- and it's making him nervous.

The child of academics, raised in a liberal household and educated in the liberal arts, Brooks has written a book that concludes religious conservatives donate far more money than secular liberals to all sorts of charitable activities, irrespective of income. . . .

. . . AMONG OF BROOKS' FINDINGS: Conservatives outgive liberals in every measurable way.

More here: http://www.newhousenews.com/archive/brieaddy111406.html

Given these facts, where do you think our elected officials should place their initiatives and votes?

1) Government should create a climate that encourages private charity to provide social programs even if such charities are faith based and this will increase resources available to those who need them. Government should not be in the business of social charity.

2) Government, not private charities, should provide the social safety net for its citizens.

3) I am somewhere between these two extremes.

Please explain your position.

Philanthropy isn't the only form of charity; it's only the most removed, wherein "givers" don't have to come into contact with the underprivaleged. Meanwhile, conservative politicians cut funding for social programs, for example the Heartland Alliance, for whom my liberal sister works. In fact, most people I know working for such charitable organizations are "liberal," or at least vote Democrat, so that their programs can receive necessary funding.

In short, applying such a narrow definition of the word "generous" doesn't make much sense to me, except for the purpose of spinning an argument.

Government handouts are not considered charity, and similarly curtailment of government handouts is not considered less charitable. Anyone can give away someone else's money. The point is that people that favor the government giveaways are less charitable, personally. It does not make you more charitable if you give less or nothing and simply favor the government giving a lot. That was not what the Brooks was talkign about.
0 Replies

Monte Cargo

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2006 02:39 am
Setanta wrote:
Define conservatism.

What is your evidence that "conservatives" who meet such a definition contribute more to charity than does anyone else? What organizations can be considered "charities" for the purposes of such a discussion?

You are completely ignoring valid objections to the premise of this polemic.

This was one of the first distinctions that Brooks outlined, Sentanta, and I'm a little surprised that you protested on this point without your even bothering to first consult Brooks' website.

http://www.arthurbrooks.net/excerpt.html
Quote:
First, we must define "liberals" and "conservatives." Most surveys ask people not just about their political party affiliation but also about their ideology. In general, about 10 percent of the population classify themselves as "very conservative"; and another 10 percent call themselves "very liberal." About 20 percent say they are simply "liberal," and 30 percent or so say they are "conservative." The remaining 30 percent call themselves "moderates" or "centrists." In this discussion, by "liberals" I mean the approximately 30 percent in the two most liberal categories, and by conservatives I mean the 40 percent or so in the two most con­servative categories.

Brooks cites his sources S O U R C E S

So, if you had done some investigation and become a trifle further you would have discovered Brooks' sources. If you had done that, you then would realize that to question the integrity of what constitutes a charity for the Brooks study is actually questioning the integrity of no fewer than
a half a dozen studies. The assertion for example that the National Rifle Association would be such a charitable organization seems a tad farfetched to be of concern.
0 Replies

Monte Cargo

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2006 02:50 am
ebrown_p wrote:
I question the validity of the study for several reasons...

1) This is the opinion of one professor based on one study. The research hasn't been replicated by any other researchers.

As was evident in Sentanta's post, there is a laziness belying the inaccuracy of this statement. You really should investigate a little before jerking your keyboard into an irrevocably foolish claim like this one.

Quote:
2) I looked for the scientific method used in this study. Real researchers will publish definitions of their terms-- for example whether Mr. Brooks counted tithing to a church as "charitible giving" is unclear. It is possible that there is a valid scientific description of the research that Mr. Brooks doesn, but it certainly doesn't seem to be available.

It is available if you bother to look up the source material for the survey.

Quote:
3) This contradicts other reasearch. You would think from this puff piece that People in the Bible Belt would be the most generous (since they are more religious).

The Center on Wealth and Philanthropy numbers say that the North East, and particularly New England is the most charitible region. These number are on taxable contributions and are measured by percentage of income.

If you read Brooks report, he mentioned that the size of the average contribution of the conservative was less than the average size of the liberal contribution, but because of so many more contributions by conservatives, conservatives end up contributing a greater total.

Quote:
4) It is clear that Brooks had the opinion that Religious people were more charitble BEFORE he started this research. A quick Google search reveals his position and that he has been writing about the superiority of religious people to non-religious people for some time.

Perhaps, but you're making a moot point since he proved his hunch with the data.

Quote:
There is the at least possibility that he was looking for research that merely validated his previous beliefs.

That's what is known as supporting your beliefs with facts as opposed to people who can not support their claims.

Quote:
I have an open mind, and I would love to see any link to his scientific method-- particularly what techniques he used to make sure that his findings were objective (i.e. not tainted by his personal bias). There are ways to do this and any good scientist will make these available.

Perhaps if you have an open mind, you would open it to the section where Brooks lists his sources. Again, the knee jerk reflex to reject the report in a defensive partisan posture is the most visible message of your post.

Quote:
But I think there is good reason to be skeptical.

How would you know since you haven't bothered to check the sources?

Quote:
For the record, I am a centrist on the poll question. I think leaving charity to the religious would be a disaster on many levels.

I think your statement more clearly typifies the description of secularist more than centrist.
0 Replies

Wilso

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2006 04:29 am
there can only be one response to the title of this thread. BullF@ckingSh!t!
0 Replies

ebrown p

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2006 07:18 am
I am (I think wisely) avoiding the call down into a screaming brawl. I will point out one thing though...

The opinions on this thread have broken in a a very predictable way.

The people who generally express "conservative" opinions think this is a great study and completely scientific. The people who tend to express "liberal" opinions think this study is partisan crap.

This is, of course, my subjective opinion of who is an A2K conservative or liberal and who thinks this study is partisan crap.... but I am just making an observation that I won't try to pass off as scientific.

In my opinion this is that our collective reaction to this study is far more interesting than the study itself.
0 Replies

Foxfyre

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2006 07:28 am
I haven't seen any posts where the conservatives thought Brook's study was 'just wonderful'. Could you point them out please?

There are a number of posts from the leftists trying to debunk it without ever looking at the data he offers, however. That observation is accurate.

Why do you suppose that is? I find it fascinating. Do you this phenomena adds more or less credibility to Brook's findings?

Some people actually discuss the thesis of the subject if it is of interest. And some just want to discredit the one offering it and/or those who do find it interesting.

Thanks for Monte Cargo for adding some objective observations to the subject. (I hadn't even bothered to do that. Smile)
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 8 Dec, 2006 07:45 am
Foxfyre wrote:
I haven't seen any posts where the conservatives thought Brook's study was 'just wonderful'. Could you point them out please?

There are a number of posts from the leftists trying to debunk it without ever looking at the data he offers, however. That observation is accurate.

Why do you suppose that is? I find it fascinating. Do you this phenomena adds more or less credibility to Brook's findings?

Some people actually discuss the thesis of the subject if it is of interest. And some just want to discredit the one offering it and/or those who do find it interesting.

Thanks for Monte Cargo for adding some objective observations to the subject. (I hadn't even bothered to do that. Smile)

Yes, quite rightly, I have always prefered facts over attitudes and am delighted to see foxfyre present the same preference.
0 Replies