James Webb VS George Bush.

au1929

Reply Tue 5 Dec, 2006 07:21 am
editorial comment from today's NY Daily news.

Quote:
How to be rude to the President

I am of two minds about what Virginia's Sen.-elect James Webb did at a White House reception for new members of Congress. After first trying to avoid speaking to George W. Bush altogether, he was forced to respond when the President at last approached him and asked, "How's your boy?" Webb responded, "I'd like to get them out of Iraq, Mr. President." (Webb's son is a Marine serving in Iraq.)
"That's not what I asked you," Bush said. "How's your boy?"

"That's between me and my boy, Mr. President," Webb said, ending the conversation right there. Bad manners? Yes. Understandable? Yes, again.

For this act of consummate rudeness, Webb was roundly reprimanded. George Will offered him a magisterial rebuke and so, less magisterially, did some editorial pages. Not only is such behavior rude, but it is usually counterproductive. We don't want to get where we were in the late 1960s when Lyndon Johnson became a virtual prisoner in the White House, avoiding anti-war demonstrators by staying home.

Yet the dastardly act, aside from being oh-so-satisfying to the perp, can have its uses. In this case, it might have jarred Bush into appreciating that many of his critics are not mere political opponents, but people who are morally appalled by a war that continues for no apparent reason.

Maybe also the incident made him wonder about Webb, who hardly fits the demagogic anti-war stereotype constructed by Bush, Karl Rove and Fox News. Webb is a former college boxer, Marine officer in Vietnam and secretary of the Navy under Ronald Reagan. I would not, to his face, impeach his patriotism.

Washington is a bad marriage with monuments. Just to get through the day it's necessary to lower voices, modulate tempers, voice soft lies. Quaint parliamentary rules have their utility - no names, please, and lots of grandiloquence about the "eminent gentleman" who in actuality is a skirt-chaser who needs to trim his nasal hair. Sans manners, nothing would get done. Even with them, precious little is accomplished.

Still, there is accumulating evidence that Bush is talking to mirrors and taking instruction from his dog. He says he's amenable to change one day and digs in his heels the next. "I'm not going to pull our troops off the battlefield before the mission is complete," he said recently. But what is the mission? Please, ask the dog. Lives are being wasted.

This imbroglio about Webb and manners is, at bottom, about the premature deaths of young people in Iraq - the sons and daughters of people much like Webb. Their only hope is that Bush is a liar rather than a fool.

There is ample evidence for both propositions. He vowed enduring loyalty to Rumsfeld while interviewing his replacement, and he has overseen the administration of the war with an incompetence that will earn him a very special place in American history.

Maybe the President has a plan for disengaging in Iraq. Maybe, though, he is disengaged himself. If that is the case, the thought occurs that it would take a polite version of a Cagneyesque grapefruit in the face to get his attention. If Webb did that, then a medal, not rebuke, is in order.

Now, Jim, behave yourself.

Originally published on December 4, 2006

Did Webb give Bush a well deserved kick in the pants or was he out of line?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 387 • Replies: 10
No top replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 5 Dec, 2006 08:51 am
Maybe both.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 5 Dec, 2006 08:56 am
FreeDuck wrote:
Maybe both.

Safe response.
0 Replies

FreeDuck

Reply Tue 5 Dec, 2006 09:06 am
Sorry, I can't make up my mind about this one. Bush is a wise-ass who deserves no respect other than that which his position affords him. I think they were both rude -- Bush for asking and then being a dick about it ("that's not what I asked..."), and Webb for taking the opportunity to get a dig in at the president.

I'd like to see them in a celebrity death match.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 5 Dec, 2006 09:14 am
And I would liked it if Webb could have shoved one of his son boots up the creeps, ass.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Tue 5 Dec, 2006 09:18 am
I know what you mean, au.

I think that Webb was justified because it's an actual policy issue, the kind of thing that Bush should be experiencing a lot more pushback than he actually is. If it was a dig about Bush's stupid grin or cocaine use I might find it out of line. But the "dig" amounted to criticism of Bush's policies, which I think is valid.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 5 Dec, 2006 09:23 am
Bush asked about the guys son. He didn't want to get into some policy discussion. He was making small talk and it was overheard by some over-zealous person that believes everything must be news.

Webb would have done just as well saying "He is still alive, but I wish he was home." and moved on. Instead he chose to try to make a production over a casual question.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 5 Dec, 2006 09:33 am
McG

As usual you only see things in the half light. You don't think that Bush's retort "("that's not what I asked..."), wasn't a bit of Bush's typical nastiness.
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Tue 5 Dec, 2006 09:39 am
No, I think that wasn't what he asked.

You are hardly one to make comments about seeing things in the half-light as the only thing you can do is condemn Bush no matter what.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Tue 5 Dec, 2006 09:44 am
MgC

The next time or should I say the first time Bush does something right I will praise him. :wink:
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Tue 5 Dec, 2006 10:08 am
I see this more as an indication of Bush's true character than anything.

The response to the question was perfectly legitimate IMO.

Had Bush asked "How's your boy?", knowing that his boy was at UNLV or some other post secondary institution, and Webb responded that he was dearly missed and wanted him home for the holidays, Bush would have looked like a complete ass by arrogantly responding "That's not what I asked".
It would have been an insensitive and unwelcomed response.

The fact is, Bush doesn't like dissent and this to him was dissent.
0 Replies