LACK OF EMPATHY

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2003 09:11 pm
Is it just me or is anyone else in our usergroup finding a disturbing lack of empathy around some pretty basic progressive issues in a lot of the threads in the regular forum areas?

Today, I have read some of the most off-topic, hateful posts especially in a thread about the poor and another one about white studies; I'm sure I've seen it in others but am currently repressing same. When a serious subject, perhaps so threatening to some, is to be discussed, it's as if people can't deal with it and so they either veer completely off-topic or become quite tangential, meanwhile ignoring the few more thoughtful and/or pointed posts.

Whassup with that?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 973 • Replies: 19
No top replies

kuvasz

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2003 11:17 pm
one has to have a significant level of self-awareness and connection with the external environment to have empathy. even then, if the connction to one's environment produces fear, the natural tendency is towards self preservation and not sacrifice.

what you are seeing is an amalgum of low self awareness and the result of their fear of the environment

the self awareness part is pretty evident by the right's attitude of rejecting new things and ideas about the world which would cause them to think in new ways about the themselves and the external world. in fact, it is a self amplifying situation, they dont want to think about things that will cause them to think about things. so, they do not move readily and willingly to enhanced levels of self awareness. they are, for all intents and purposes, comfortably numb.

let us use the metaphors of the "Christ," or "Buddha consciousness" which is to be found in all living things, often explained in ethical systems as "we are all brothers and sisters" or "god's children."

one lacks empathy because one is unaware of these concepts of human commonality or rejects these metaphors which are at the root of ethics. the rejection of these concepts, ie., "that we are all one" has useful value for self presevation, as long as one is willing not to think too much about themselves and the external world.

its just lower brain activity versus higher.

its just animal instinct versus sentient awareness of being.

its just certainty versus ever expanding self knowledge.

and its just the way humans are.
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2003 11:28 pm
Mr. K: "Sit down, I Think I Love You"

P.S. I am also a recovering Deadhead . . . and I was living in San Francisco when they found his lifeless body in his car in Golden Gate Park . . . just heartbreaking.

P.S. Thank you for taking the time to jar me back into the 'real' (ugh) world :wink: Evil or Very Mad Cool !
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2003 11:52 pm
I have avoided the poor stay poor thread because I don't want to go off on the jerks who spout off about it without knowing what they are talking about. As for the white studies thread, I am still waiting to see which way it goes.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Sat 21 Jun, 2003 11:59 pm
I used to hang around a park in NYC where the Dead sometimes came and played for free.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 10:13 am
sweetcomplication wrote:
Mr. K: "Sit down, I Think I Love You"

nice to see somebody else remembers buffalo springfield.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 10:42 am
sweet--
I am currently embroiled in misunderstanding of the 'problem' on the whiteness thread. When you stated your sadness at the subject being diluted by humor and tangents, I asked you to go ahead and spark the subjects you felt should be brought out.

This was taken in some curiously negative way, (at least by one poster, if not by you) and still no one brings out the issues they want discussed.

Could you explain 1) Why the question elicited digression into personal argument and 2) Why, if you want to discuss certain aspects of the whiteness study, you haven't?

I am sincerely unaware of the 'problem's' cause.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 10:45 am
Unforunately somethings happening here and what it is is terrifyingly and exactly clear K
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 10:46 am
btw the way kuvaszCirkus in Raleigh July 19th. 20 year reunion. Sure you can't make it?

Debbie Knob was at the same venue about 6 weeks ago.

www.phootoons.com/Cirkus
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 10:47 am
Well, if its so clear, would you explain it?
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 11:00 am
Sofia, you ever been in a bar having a great time and miss last call?

When it's closing time you gotta go, if you missed last call that's your problem.

Well, that's what's happening right here right now. No one wants the party to be over, so they are ignoring or missing last call on purpose.

Soon the party called America will close, and everyone will be caught unawares(?) with no drink. There will be moaning and gnashing of teeth, but no empathy, sympathy or sharing of drinks.

Simplistic but accurate.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 11:25 am
Well, you posted in the right place, at least, sweetc.

The open forum is for the thrust and parry of our ideas versus theirs; that clash is going to result in some cuts and bruises.

Of late A2K has seen some migration of additional rightward thinkers who lack, quite simply, the ability to argue their point cogently without diatribe.

Sofia is the exception to that, which is why she's in here.

Mostly I'd like PUP to be about "What can we progressives DO about what is going on in our country?"

Keep in mind that as we draw closer to November '04 things will get even more pointed. Steel yourself; buckle your chinstrap, and get ready to work.
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 11:26 am
Well, I always like a drink analogy, but I must respectfully submit that no one really knows what has gone wrong with the thread, they just sense they should know.

Or someone would say exactly what the problem is.

It seems almost everyone agreed the whiteness classes could have some benefit. Yet, sweet and another poster shared concern that people were ducking issues. Another poster and I were interested in their views, and instead of sharing them--the thread got snippy.

Why can't someone explain? In honest, specific terms.

This is a good opportunity to enlighten people. Why is everyone dodging it?
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 11:34 am
PDid and all--

I am mindful of my guest status, and I'm trying to get a feel of what type of discussion is preferred here--especially since many of my views are probably very different that the rest of the membership.

I do respect everyone's right to their views. And, I do get an increased understanding of opinions other than my own by being here.

If I go to far in any direction--Let me know.

And, if my presence impedes anyone's comfort here, I would not take it personally if their comfort necessitated my departure.

You are a good group of people.
0 Replies

PDiddie

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 11:42 am
Sofe, no need to walk on eggshells.

(If you step outta line I'll blow you out, hot avatar or no... :wink: )
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 11:46 am
((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((BEAR HUG)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

for sofia......HEY!!! hands off my ass........
0 Replies

Sofia

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 11:47 am
I love you.
And, you have a hot avatar, as well! Razz

<PDid's--Hunk o' man! That may be my ticket out of here. :wink: hahaha>

(((((((((((((((((((The Bear))))))))))))))))))
0 Replies

sweetcomplication

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 01:54 pm
Sofia, I greatly appreciate the sincerity with which you appear to ask your questions. That is why I am happy to see you here at PUP.

I tend to feel things quite intensely and wish others did the same. That is my problem, nothing to do with you. The necessity for lovingkindness and empathy seems very direct to me, that's all. You did not exacerbate anything on the "whiteness" thread. I believe I said all there is for me to say there w/o going into major diatribes. It really seems as though when things hit too close to home for some (not directed at you, because I believe you really do want to see other people's points of view), they go off-topic, try to make a joke, etc., and that hurts.

Yes, PDiddie, I know things will get more intense and that's why I am so happy and honored that you invited me to join PUP. I will try to rein in my expectations of others who are, after all, just here to "party".

BTW, back to Sofia, this is the hottest avatar you've had ever - wow!!!
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 02:26 pm
Bi-Polar Bear wrote:
btw the way kuvaszCirkus in Raleigh July 19th. 20 year reunion. Sure you can't make it?

Debbie Knob was at the same venue about 6 weeks ago.

www.phootoons.com/Cirkus

i might be able to swing a trip to raleigh 18-19th.

to see debbie again would be a treat. i have seen jack many times over the years in clubs.. he still looked like eddie rabbit.

everytime i pass that parking lot on hillsborough st i think of free advice and the knobs...they used to put a sign outside that said "live sex" during their gigs, and watching the folks who would walk in was funny as hell.
0 Replies

blueveinedthrobber

Reply Sun 22 Jun, 2003 04:17 pm
make it if you can, and identify yurself if you do...I'll be the guy on stage....
0 Replies