Iraqi forces can take over by June 2007, says al-Maliki

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 09:50 pm
AMMAN (Reuters) - Iraqi Prime Minister Nuri al-Maliki said on Thursday his government's forces would be able to take over security command from U.S. troops by June 2007 -- a move which could allow the United States to start withdrawing.

According to a transcript released by ABC, the Iraqi leader said: "At the beginning of next year we will increase the training of our forces ... when they reach an acceptable level, we can talk about transferring power from multinational forces to Iraqi forces.

"I can say that Iraqi forces will be ready, fully ready to receive this command and to command its own forces, and I can tell you that by next June our forces will be ready."

And, he said it with a straight face. Bush knew he could believe him, because these people are not in the habit of making stuff up just for the media. -edgarblythe
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 569 • Replies: 10
No top replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 11:09 pm
I'm confused, isn't this what you wanted?
0 Replies

Roxxxanne

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 01:27 am
LoneStarMadam wrote:
I'm confused.

For once, we can all agree.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 05:49 am
LoneStarMadam wrote:
I'm confused, isn't this what you wanted?

Swoosh . . .
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 08:47 am
I hope that Malakai is right & that we can get out of Iraq. Of course I don't believe it, but I can hope it, pray for it.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 08:50 am
Well, as long as democracy has been established in Iraq, all will be well; so tell me Lonestar will there be democracy in Iraq?
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 08:55 am
dyslexia wrote:
Well, as long as democracy has been established in Iraq, all will be well; so tell me Lonestar will there be democracy in Iraq?

I have no idea, however, that isn't the topic of this thread.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 12:45 pm
So how many of our soldiers must die while you towel heads "get ready" to police your own country?

This is NOT what our military is designed to do.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 12:57 pm
Lemme get this straight...

Quote:
"At the beginning of next year we will increase the training of our forces ... when they reach an acceptable level, we can talk about transferring power from multinational forces to Iraqi forces.

Um, why wait till then?

What increases are neccessary over what is happening now?

What level is 'acceptable?'

Is the problem really just 'training?'

Sheesh

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 01:05 pm
imo u.s. brigadier general john custer was able to sum it all up in a few words when he spoke on CNN last night :
"the iraquis will continue to fight each other for many years to come" (while i didn't tape it , that's what he essentially said ) .
hbg
0 Replies

Bi-Polar Bear

Reply Fri 1 Dec, 2006 01:11 pm
June is better than 2 more years.... and I think it's about time the Iraqis went ahead and gave george a timetable for how long he could continue to profit from Iraq before he and his friends have to go home.....
0 Replies