Inciting Religious Hatred?

rockpie

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 03:32 am
has this gone a bit too far? only recently i was watching the news and there was a story about a Christian woman who worked for British Airways, she was sent home from work because she refused to take off her cross despite a Hindu woman being allowed to wear bangles (which i'm guessing is to do with her religion). she appealed and lost, but has appealed again.

now i'm not in anyway racist or against anybody for having religious beliefs, but it seems to me as though it's all going one way. for example, this woman could lose her job over something as petty as a cross (which was very small by the way), and only a few months before, when Muslims protested against those Danish cartoons, there were some protesters (not all) holding banners that read ''kill all who don't follow Islam'' and nothing was done.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 690 • Replies: 10
No top replies

Joe Nation

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 03:42 am
All beliefs in the unknown, even those which appear to be benign, should be considered and treated as forms of madness.

Joe(there it is)Nation
0 Replies

Noddy24

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 06:27 am
She doesn't want to wear the cross inconspiciously--she wants to display the cross.

http://www.christianpost.com/article/20061121/23597.htm
0 Replies

rockpie

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 06:33 am
why does that matter? so the hindu bangles, the muslim veils and the sikh turbans are all inconspicuous i take it...
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 07:14 am
rockpie wrote:
why does that matter? so the hindu bangles, the muslim veils and the sikh turbans are all inconspicuous i take it...

rockpie- If you read the story carefully, her job required a uniform. There were regulations as to what she could wear with the uniform. The regulations applied to everyone in her job category. Had she held a job where she wore street clothes, the cross would have been a non-issue. In fact, she was offered a non-uniformed job, but turned it down.

Obviously, a Muslim who had a similar job as the woman could not have worn a veil, or a Hindu a turban.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Wed 29 Nov, 2006 09:11 am
It's like any job that enforces a dress code.
Many organizations and corporations don't allow visible tattoos and/or facial piercings to be worn while representing the company.
This is no different.

Besides, what's with the need to display a cross? I thought religion was a private endeavor.
0 Replies

rockpie

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 06:00 am
but a hindu with the same job working on the desk next to her WAS wearing bangles and nothing was done...
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 06:42 am
rockpie wrote:
but a hindu with the same job working on the desk next to her WAS wearing bangles and nothing was done...

rockpie- Do you have a link where it says that a Hindu with the same job was wearing "bangles"? If so, I am wondering if the "bangles" were not simply a kind of jewelry, and not a religious symbol. The ban was on religious symbols.
0 Replies

rockpie

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 08:38 am
no sorry,i'm just relaying what i heard on the news,but i'm pretty sure they are a religious item.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 08:40 am
rockpie- So if you don't know if the other person were wearing a religious symbol, there is really no argument! Just wearing an ornament that is popular in a certain culture, does not make it a religious symbol.
0 Replies

candidone1

Reply Thu 30 Nov, 2006 08:44 am
Quote:
Bangles are ornaments worn mainly by women, but men may also choose to wear, on their arms and wrists. They are usually circular in shape, and, unlike bracelets, are not flexible.

Bangles are part of traditional Indian jewelry. In India, bangles are usually worn in pairs, one or more on each arm, and a single bangle is rarely sold. They are made of numerous precious as well as non-precious materials such as gold, silver, platinum, glass, wood, ferrous metals, plastic, etc. Most Indian women prefer wearing either gold or glass bangles or both in combination. Bangles made from plastic are slowly replacing those made by glass, but the ones made of glass are still preferred at traditional functions such as marriages and at festivals.

Source

I don't see anywhere that a bangle is a religious symbol. It is traditional Indian ornamentation, much like earrings or finger rings would be for a western woman or man. Perhaps the dress code permits jewelery and not outward display of religious idols or symbols.
0 Replies