First Foreign Film you liked.

Reply Sun 26 Nov, 2006 11:48 pm
Mine was 'Fists Of Fury' and early (the first?) Bruce Lee film. Had to lie about my age to get in and the first feature was Anyone For Sex, an apalling piece of british titillation...

Apparently my tastes have changed....
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 2,840 • Replies: 54
No top replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 02:00 am
Re: First Foreign Film you liked.
hingehead wrote:
Mine was 'Fists Of Fury' and early (the first?) Bruce Lee film. Had to lie about my age to get in and the first feature was Anyone For Sex, an apalling piece of british titillation...

Apparently my tastes have changed....

The first one I liked, had to be "Enter the Dragon", I suppose. (although, just admitting that somehow makes me cringe now).

The first "quality" foreign film has to be a toss up between Jean de Florette, and Il Postino. Both are thimply thtunning.
0 Replies

Bohne

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 03:24 am
How do you define foreign films?

As a child I liked the 'Bud Spencer/Terence Hill' Movies.
US-Italian, if I remember correctly!

Can't stand them any more!
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 05:47 am
Virgin Spring
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 05:55 am
The Gods Must Be Crazy

But, then, it's in my language.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 06:13 am
The Virgin Spring

1960 / B&W
Starring Max von Sydow, Birgitta Valberg, Gunnel Lindblom, Birgitta Pettersson, Axel Düberg
Cinematography Sven Nykvist
Production Designer P.A. Lundgren
Film Editor Oscar Rosander
Original Music Erik Nordgren
Written by Ulla Isaksson
Produced by Ingmar Bergman, Allan Ekelund
Directed by Ingmar Bergman
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 06:22 am
a recent foreign film thread spoke only of non english films, but to me a foreign film is any film produced by a country different from the one you live in

i'm from canada so american films are not particularily foriegn to me, but australian films are, even though we share a common language (well sort of)

that being said, the first non north american film i saw was, the getting of wisdom a beautifu laustralian movie that i still like to this day

next choices would have to be, stevie (a boigraphy of poet stevie smith), the marriage of maria braun (fassbinder second worl war story), and gallipoli (fantastic first world war story of the bruatal campaign in turkey)
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 06:39 am
First nonenglish was probably Cinema Paradiso. That's the first I remember, anyway. Don't remember childhood so clearly.
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 04:47 pm
Bohne - I used to love the Terence Hill/Bud Spencer spagetti westerns too, My Name Is Trinity and Trinity Is Still My Name.

I'm not sure how to define a foreign film - as an aussie it's a bit of a stretch to call a british or US film a foreign film (when I grew up an Australian movie was a rarity. It was kinda funny to see dj cite a couple of Aussie films as foreign - but I don't mind (if you liked Gallipoli check out Breaker Morant - my best bud was completely anglophile until he saw it).

In my mind a foreign film is subtitled, rather than overdubbed. So spagetti westerns don't count - nor the Dog's 'Gods Must Be Crazy' which was kinda fun at the time. I wouldn't even count Enter The Dragon coz Bruce spoke English with that bizarre accent in it.

But I'm happy for the poster to define foreign for themselves.

I've never seen any of Ingmar's films - although he's always name checked in popular culture when a couple go to see a foreign film.

Anyone ever see 'The Battleship Ptomokin'?
0 Replies

wandeljw

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 05:10 pm
Re: First Foreign Film you liked.
Lord Ellpus wrote:

The first one I liked, had to be "Enter the Dragon", I suppose. (although, just admitting that somehow makes me cringe now).

The first "quality" foreign film has to be a toss up between Jean de Florette, and Il Postino. Both are thimply thtunning.

"Enter the Dragon" was a Hollywood production! Do you really consider that foreign, Lord Ellpus? After all, we once were your colonies.

I agree with "Jean de Florette". I also liked "The Return of Martin Guerre".
0 Replies

Lord Ellpus

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 05:20 pm
hingehead wrote:

Potemkin?

Yes, I forgot that one! I didn't enjoy it the first time around, but watched it several years later and loved it!

Enter the dragon was Hollywood? <insert embarrassed emoticon doodah here>
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 07:28 pm
hingehead wrote:

I'm not sure how to define a foreign film - as an aussie it's a bit of a stretch to call a british or US film a foreign film (when I grew up an Australian movie was a rarity. It was kinda funny to see dj cite a couple of Aussie films as foreign - but I don't mind (if you liked Gallipoli check out Breaker Morant - my best bud was completely anglophile until he saw it).

loved breaker morant, i 've seen quite a few aussie movies, and a fair share of tv, blue heelers, a country practice, flying doctors, richmond hill
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 07:30 pm
djjd62 wrote:

loved breaker morant, i 've seen quite a few aussie movies, and a fair share of tv, blue heelers, a country practice, flying doctors, richmond hill

oooh. Our movies are much better than our TV, right?
0 Replies

blacksmithn

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 07:31 pm
The Seven Samurai. Caught the rerelease of it in an art house in Santa Monica years and years ago. It was rivetting and magnificent!
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 07:39 pm
blacksmithn wrote:
The Seven Samurai. Caught the rerelease of it in an art house in Santa Monica years and years ago. It was rivetting and magnificent!

They should redo it in hollywood and call it the Magnificent ... seven. Oh yeah they did.

Always wanted to see it.

Anyone seen Rolf De Heers 'Ten Canoes'? An oz film with the dialogue in Yolnu Matha (arnhem land indigenous language) - not sure if that's a foreign film or not!
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 07:40 pm
hingehead wrote:
djjd62 wrote:

oooh. Our movies are much better than our TV, right?

i actually liked both, a country practice and the flying doctors

acp was very much like the sort of shows we make (or made) in canada
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 07:47 pm
ACP was so long ago in my head - i remember crying when Molly died....
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 07:57 pm
hingehead wrote:
ACP was so long ago in my head - i remember crying when Molly died....

i thought about editing my post and saying just that very thing
0 Replies

fbaezer

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 08:30 pm
First foreign film I liked?

Hmmm... wasn't "Lady and the Tramp", my foot got numb and I asked my dad to leave the theatre.

I got it! "One Hundred and One Dalmatians", the animated cartoon one.

I also remember enjoying "The Parent Trap" and "Jason and the Argonauts" very much. I could read subtitles by then.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 09:31 pm
Possibly Jules and Jim -

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0055032/

or maybe it was a film by Jules Dassin...

or, oh, NOOOOOOOOOO, Umbrellas of Cherbourg. But I didn't like that, so it doesn't count.
0 Replies