0
   

First Foreign Film you liked.

 
 
NickFun
 
  1  
Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 09:33 pm
When I was 17 I saw my first foreign film and it was awesome. I have no idea what the plot was but it was x rated.
0 Replies
 
hingehead
 
  1  
Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 09:34 pm
NickFun wrote:
When I was 17 I saw my first foreign film and it was awesome. I have no idea what the plot was but it was x rated.


I was convinced for a while that all Spanish films were about lesbian nuns...
0 Replies
 
ossobuco
 
  1  
Reply Mon 4 Dec, 2006 06:48 pm
I figured out what the Jules Dassin film was; hmmm, I saw it with a blind date, probably in 1960. Might have been its first time shown in Los Angeles, or it could have been at a revival theater (oh, how I loved those).



HE WHO MUST DIE


(1957, Jules Dassin) In a 1920s Greek village under Turkish rule, it's time for the traditional Passion Play, with Pierre Vaneck's stuttering shepherd slated for the Christ role, and prostitute Melina Mercouri (in her first collaboration with husband-to-be Dassin) as Mary Magdalene. But when refugees led by Rififi's Jean Servais flood in, those roles start to become real, to the consternation of local officials. Adapted from Kazantzaki's novel The Greek Passion and shot on location in Crete. 1:45, 5:40, 9:35



Yep, that was probably the first one. I seem to remember being confused.
0 Replies
 
kermit
 
  1  
Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 10:38 am
The only foreign film I really loved was that one that Dutch one that they remade into The Vanishing.
0 Replies
 
Phoenix32890
 
  1  
Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 10:58 am
La Ronde

http://imdb.com/title/tt0042906/

Boy, that was a while ago!
0 Replies
 
InfraBlue
 
  1  
Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 12:13 pm
Au revoir, les enfants

It's the first foreign movie that I actively sought out due to the good review it got in Entertainment Weekly back in the day.

Great movie
0 Replies
 
edgarblythe
 
  1  
Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 05:54 pm
One film I recall from, I believe, the 1960s, was the tale of a woman who took in an ex German soldier. He graduates from temporary hired help to lover. When they discuss the war, he remarks, "One animal kills another." During one of their love making sessions, she discovers a tatoo on his body, the tattoo of the man that killed her husband during the war. It ends with the German getting shot. With his dying breath, he repeats, "One animal kills another." Got no idea who made it or the title.
0 Replies
 
Phoenix32890
 
  1  
Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 06:01 pm
Edgar- I guess that you have been searching for that quote for a long time. I "Googled" quote, and much to my surprise, came up with this:

http://www.able2know.com/forums/viewtopic.php?p=348997#348997
0 Replies
 
edgarblythe
 
  1  
Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 06:04 pm
Sept, 2003. Shows us old guys just recycle the same information. Thanks for the reminder.
0 Replies
 
ossobuco
 
  1  
Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 06:07 pm
kermit wrote:
The only foreign film I really loved was that one that Dutch one that they remade into The Vanishing.


We're film opposites. Not all, but probably the majority of the films I've loved have been foreign, usually from Japan or Italy or France or Germany or England or Scotland or Ireland or Brazil or or or...
0 Replies
 
CalamityJane
 
  1  
Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 06:14 pm
"Turkish Delight" , a Dutch movie by Paul Verhoeven
with Rutger Hauer http://www.borge.diesal.de/smilies/wub.gif

However, in the United States you'll find the movie way in the back, hidden in the x-rated section.
0 Replies
 
boomerang
 
  1  
Reply Mon 11 Dec, 2006 07:01 pm
Mine was most definatetly "The Red Balloon" which they showed in school each and every year grades one to six. It was some French kid running through the streets of Paris trying to catch is red balloon.

After that I went a few years without benefit of foreign film so I'll have to think on it a bit.

Maybe "The Bicycle Thief".
0 Replies
 
coluber2001
 
  1  
Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 12:30 pm
"Seven Samurai", of course, or any Akira Kurosawa movie is good.

"My Life as a Dog." A Swedish movie.

"Billy Elliot," which, I believe, is an English movie. The accents are very strong, so I watch it with closed captioning.

"Bernard and the Genie," a short, neat British Christmas movie with Lennie Henry (Chef), Rowan Atkinson (Mr. Bean), and Alan Cummings.
0 Replies
 
hingehead
 
  1  
Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 04:15 pm
coluber2001 wrote:
"Seven Samurai", of course, or any Akira Kurosawa movie is good.

"My Life as a Dog." A Swedish movie.

"Billy Elliot," which, I believe, is an English movie. The accents are very strong, so I watch it with closed captioning.

"Bernard and the Genie," a short, neat British Christmas movie with Lennie Henry (Chef), Rowan Atkinson (Mr. Bean), and Alan Cummings.


But which was the first Coluber?

Thanks for reminding me of My Life As A Dog - I liked it too!
0 Replies
 
dyslexia
 
  1  
Reply Tue 12 Dec, 2006 04:46 pm
8 1/2 (1963)
0 Replies
 
sunlover
 
  1  
Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 02:04 pm
"Never on Sunday" with that great Greek actress (Marlena Mercouri?), and whatever-the-name-of-that movie Bridgit Bardot was in around the same time.
0 Replies
 
smorgs
 
  1  
Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 02:21 pm
Emil and the Detectives

La Dolce Vita

The Bicycle Thieves

x
0 Replies
 
smorgs
 
  1  
Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 02:25 pm
sunlover wrote:
"Never on Sunday" with that great Greek actress (Marlena Mercouri?), and whatever-the-name-of-that movie Bridgit Bardot was in around the same time.


Un homme et une femme?

(not sure of the spelling)

x
0 Replies
 
Swimpy
 
  1  
Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 02:30 pm
boomerang wrote:
Mine was most definatetly "The Red Balloon" which they showed in school each and every year grades one to six. It was some French kid running through the streets of Paris trying to catch is red balloon.



Yep, me, too.
0 Replies
 
malek
 
  1  
Reply Mon 18 Dec, 2006 03:18 pm
Amarcord (Fellini) was the first foreign film I fell in love with.

Belle de Jour was superb

Babette's Feast remains my favorite though.
0 Replies
 
 

Related Topics

 
Copyright © 2020 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/26/2020 at 03:42:56