Is the UN Security Council...a peacemaker???

au1929

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 09:35 am
I would add there are several posters who no matter the thread. Must find a way to interject a condemnation of Israel. Could they be__________?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 09:46 am
au1929 wrote:
Was the US acting as a peacemaker when it dropped the Atomic bombs. It sure was as evidenced by the peace it quickly brought. :wink:
As for Viet Nam and Iraq. In my opinion they were acts of stupidity.

Regarding Iraq 1 and Korea. In both instances tghe US was acting as a peace keeper since they were defending nations that had been attacked by their neighbors.

Interesting statement, au. Yeah, it's hard to discuss WWII in the context of peacekeeping missions... But then again, the question was about "peacemaking".

I would rather agree with your characterization of the Korea War and Gulf War I as "peacekeeping missions". You realize that, contrary to Vietnam or Iraq II, the intervening parties in both the Korea War and the first Gulf War had a UN mandate, though?

au, what do you think about Bosnia? How would you characterize that intervention?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 09:47 am
au1929 wrote:
I would add there are several posters who no matter the thread. Must find a way to interject a condemnation of Israel. Could they be__________?

He, I hope you're not talking about me!!
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 09:53 am
old Europe
But apart from that, and on the topic of this thread: what exactly would your definition of "peacemaking" be?

Standing by and watching people getting slaughtered in Darfur is not my idea of peacekeeping. AS long it and similar situations continue to occur with the UN unwilling or powerless to act it can in no way be considered as anything but an overly expensive debating society. Or a place where diplomats go to live the highlife.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 09:57 am
old europe wrote:
au1929 wrote:

He, I hope you're not talking about me!!

No absolutely not!!!
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 10:05 am
old europe wrote.
au, what do you think about Bosnia? How would you characterize that intervention?

Peacekeeping. If left alone the fighting and killing would still be ongoing.
0 Replies

au1929

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 10:19 am
old europe
Quote:
I would rather agree with your characterization of the Korea War and Gulf War I as "peacekeeping missions". You realize that, contrary to Vietnam or Iraq II, the intervening parties in both the Korea War and the first Gulf War had a UN mandate, though?

Indeed, however, was the action something that was prompted by the UN, as it should have been, or the US. That is a rhetorical question. Without the US' s intervention the UN, would as they always do, sit on their hands. The nation of South Korea would not now exist and Kuwait would have been part of Iraq.
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 10:29 am
au1929 wrote:
Standing by and watching people getting slaughtered in Darfur is not my idea of peacekeeping. AS long it and similar situations continue to occur with the UN unwilling or powerless to act it can in no way be considered as anything but an overly expensive debating society. Or a place where diplomats go to live the highlife.

I don't have a definition of "peacemaking". It sounds macho to me, and that's about it. The term kind of implies that, in a situation of an ongoing war, a third party steps in and, all of a sudden, all hostilities end. I don't think that's possible, no matter what organisation or entity or situation we're talking about. I'd say that the term or the connotation of being able to "make peace" is nothing but an illusion.

Now, peacekeeping is an entirely different matter. It implies that in the situation of a ceasefire, there's an entity to control the mutally agreed-upon rules. Or that in a situation where unrest or civil war is likely to erupt, an entity is in control of the situation and able to "keep the peace". The thing about peacekeeping is that its success can be jugded by the absence of wars, right?

Anyways, Darfur is not my idea of peacekeeping either. Quite the contrary. However, does that mean that all the other peacekeeping missions should be discontinued? How do you judge their success or failure? Don't you think that people in Congo or Liberia profit from the presence of UN troops, in spite of the fact that the UN did nothing for the people in Darfur?
0 Replies

old europe

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 10:38 am
au1929 wrote:
Indeed, however, was the action something that was prompted by the UN, as it should have been, or the US. That is a rhetorical question. Without the US' s intervention the UN, would as they always do, sit on their hands. The nation of South Korea would not now exist and Kuwait would have been part of Iraq.

Right. Still, the UN mandate was a vehicle that brought other nations on board - something that should not be underestimated.

Doing this outside the UN, brushing away all concerns about legitimacy, declaring that the Geneva Conventions don't apply and that something like international law doesn't exist isn't the way to go, either.

It is my impression that missions mandated by UN resolutions result in coalitions of countries that are somewhat more stable than what the US managed to get together to invade Iraq.
0 Replies