Don't tell me there's no proof for evolution

farmerman

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2017 12:33 pm
@brianjakub,
I wS EXPLAINING the role that natural selection has in evolution. Youve ignored my admonition that "mutation" is NOT the only road to genetic variability, but natural selection is the primary road to speciation.
Reluctantly I think that set 's point tht you seem to cling to a single trick, is probably correct.

You sound like you read some techy things but you immediately qoute somthing in the reference literature and then, without futher analyses, you dismiss it.
farmerman

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2017 12:38 pm
@brianjakub,
Quote:
. Response implies intelligence
Oy, I think we are at an impasse and youre dead wrong but deny it.
Do various "tropisms" require intelligence??
brianjakub

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2017 01:01 pm
@farmerman,
Could you explain to me how something besides random mutations can provide new information? If there is a system setup that is guiding the random mutations it had to be built from random mutations.

Natural selection is a go no-go test. Survive or not survive. How do you get complexity from a go no-go test of random choices?

It seems like you are trying to make natural selection of random mutations more complicated than it really is. If it is more complex and it's that hard to understand where did all that complexity come from? Didn't something of complexity have to come from random mutations at one time?
farmerman

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2017 01:41 pm
@farmerman,
You mentioned eyes (or maybe it was Leadfoot). When I was an undergraduate studying biochem, i recall Ernst Mayr and LVS Plaven saying tht the eye was "created" independently 40 to 60 different times s if "By sudden appearance" .
Since tht time weve learned that this is not so. EYEs have not been invented FROM SCRATCH each time. .It appears that light sensing tissue an organs all share a basic "toolkit". Genetic evidence has revealed that waay different eye types have a gret amount of things in common than Mayr realized. Gehring, in 1994 begqn studies in the use of "knock out" genes to study what proteins appeared in the major gene that control eye expression (Pax-6 and two others are what we seem to have agreed upon).
Using knock out technology Gehring could determine what controlled what in eyesight of a whole series of animals (from insects to reptiles to mammals to humans). If we looked at the amino acid sequences in these animals wed see a great similarity between all the phyla that display "eyes" , and the protein sequences for mammals (say between mice nd humans are IDENTICAL. Also, experiments have shown that the PAX 6 genes between flies and mice CAN BE SWITCHED between them still retaining full function.

Pax 6 has been isolted from scallops, planarians ,squid an ribbon worms and its fully functional.
We know a whole boatload of information beyond the function and universal reltionhip of PAX 6 and eye building. For example all eyes are developed based on two functioning systems, photoreceptor cell and pigment cell (defined by a whole cluster of opsin proteins that determine angular focus and hence light detection and reception.
Opsin can be seen in all animals( SAME FORMULQ). Therefore eye construction yields an explanation that is inescapble, opwin existed in the common ancestor to most all animals. As Arendt and Detkew hd expressed : "Eye evolution reveals that different kinds of eyes as products of different evolutionary journeys that began at similar start points, with some simple arrangements of photo receptors an pigment cells , and NOT FROM SCRATCH".

I looked up about whether modelling base upon eye structures in animals could be found. Seems Dawkins had a bit in Climbing Mount Improbable. Computer modelling done in 1994 at the U of Lund in Sweden suggested that natural selection on small variations of induced genetic variability (yes including mutation) could, in about 2000 steps over about half a million years "grow a "camera Eye" from a simple light sensing prototype.

MontereyJack

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2017 02:30 pm
@brianjakub,
Notice farmer's last oaragraogh. Answers your questions. 2000 generations is nothing over four billionyearss. Burt it's kinda two long for you to notice the progression, which seems to be your unsupportable condition. Sorry, B, evolution just goes and soes it, whether you notice it or not.
brianjakub

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2017 07:59 pm
@MontereyJack,
Did you read it? Are you sure it supports his argument that random mutations can provide the new information?
BillW

Reply Sat 16 Sep, 2017 08:25 pm
@brianjakub,
I am assuming your not 10 years old even though you either show signs of 10 year old reading comprehension or 10 year old attempts to manipulate an audience of adults. Assume you are not dealing with juveniles
Olivier5

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2017 03:19 am
@brianjakub,
I have already provided info on models assessing the likelohoods of actual mutations, as observed by comparing two bits of genomes. and they say that these mutations are likely enough.
brianjakub

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2017 08:01 am
@Olivier5,
Are you talking about the giraffe model? Did that model prove random mutations through natural selection can cause macroevolution?
brianjakub

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2017 08:29 am
@farmerman,
https://uncommondescent.com/intelligent-design/could-the-eye-have-evolved-by-natural-selection-in-a-geological-blink/
Quote:
(a) What Professor Nilsson said recently about the model he and Dr. Pelger created

I claimed above that Professor Nilsson had recently acknowledged that the step-by-step sequence from a light-sensitive spot to a camera eye, which he and Dr. Pelger described in described in their 1994 paper, was actually an intelligently guided evolutionary sequence. I’m now going to supply “chapter and verse” to back up that claim. I recently contacted Professor Nilsson, and asked him about the 1994 paper he co-authored with Susanne Pelger, and he was kind enough to respond. In his response, he patiently explained to me exactly what he and Pelger were trying to establish with their model:

If there is random and heritable variation separately controlling a large number of different parameters, then selection would, for each generation, choose the route that causes the largest improvement of whatever selection was set to favour (e.g. acuity). So, if there is more than one parameter that can vary, evolution can be expected to follow different routes depending on how much the different parameters vary, and how much impact they have on acuity. In real eye evolution, there would be numerous different parameters that express heritable variation in the population, and the amount of variation could itself be modified by selection. Real eye evolution has also resulted in many different end products, using different ways to form images, and different cellular organizations to obtain particular structures. These are all interesting questions, but the Nilsson and Pelger 94 paper does not address these questions. Instead the paper asks the much more tenable question: is there a continuous route from a flat, non-imaging light detector to a focused camera type eye, where each little modification, no matter how small, would generate an improvement in acuity. The important answer we find is yes, there is at least one such route. Although this route was devised by us (by deciding which parameters were to change during different phases along the route) the important result is that there is at least one route where acuity continuously improves at each new generation. Real evolution may find an even shorter route, where acuity improves more for each generation, but that would not change the important conclusion that an eye can evolve from a patch of light sensitive skin by numerous tiny modifications.

Referring to his model of how the eye evolved, Nilsson admits that “this route was devised by us,” in order to generate “a continuous route from a flat, non-imaging light detector to a focused camera type eye, where each little modification, no matter how small, would generate an improvement in acuity,” and that it was constructed “by deciding which parameters were to change during different phases along the route.” That’s intelligently guided evolution.
I think this model supports ID as the writer (Nilsson) of the paper stated in the above response
0 Replies

brianjakub

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2017 08:51 am
@BillW,
Can we discuss the Nilsson and Peleger paper? Do you have any comments on Nilsson's quote in my response to farmer? Monterey Jack? Olivier?
farmerman

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2017 09:56 am
@brianjakub,
Bull. There are only three actual eye types and they CHOSE theciliate camera eye. A MODEL is an outcome based analyses in which an outcome is based on what you input and the math sequences (digit, anlog, hybrid, statistical)

They apparently chose a discrete(ized) statistical model based upon a Hardy Weinberg methodology leading from a ciliary photoreceptor.
IT DOES NOT make it a thumping tub for ID. (Otherwise ,(think about it) , it already has its outcome base concluded.Peleger was quite sensitive to the journey that naturl selection would impose.

Oh BTW, all the ID claims were by the article author , not Nillson or Peleger. Youre getting to be like a recent- past member who also denied ID worldviews but would cherry pick at clumps of stuff that seemed to be written by members of the Discovry Institute orchestra, and were pre digested and then he would claim we didnt understand the parameters

YOU asked for a model, ( we use models as non exclusive analytical trins)
farmerman

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2017 10:34 am
@Olivier5,
yeh, as bj fails to understand in many types of models using "decision trees in steps" (especially in evolution). The modeler(s) usually omit altrnative pathways of evolution or development whenever theres a "common ancestor " nodal point.
Understanding steps for, say, evolving a loss of ability to ascorbic acid in hominids only need to understand the common ancestor wherein Vit C could still be produced by the organism
BillW

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2017 11:04 am

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/magazine/2016/02/evolution-of-eyes/

https://phys.org/news/2017-01-bag-like-sea-creature-humans-oldest.html

http://www.cnn.com/2016/05/03/health/homo-naledi-human-species-lee-berger/index.html

Olivier5

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2017 11:16 am
@brianjakub,
No, the giraffes prove that evolution is not a designed process but a patient remodeling of old stuff.

I was talking of the models used in phylogenetics.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2017 12:03 pm
@BillW,
Itw gret that you found tht link to Nillson's own wods . Its lways interesting that despite what the researchers were involved in, the ID/Creationists will always try to recast or even try to develop something contrary to what Nillson wrote..
In Carroll's The Making of the Fittest he quotes the role of natural selection that evolved the many eyetypes for different phyla of animals (pp199-203).

This little discussion has demonstrated even futher that hen you wish to deny natural selection, you dont have to do anything to find contravening evidence, in fact, all you need to do is
1Say that you dont believe that there is not enough (time, chemical ability to provide
sufficient "genetic feedstock", or that life is too complx for nat selection to be in force)

and

2 Merely misrepresent what the scientist has said by either (cherry picking for "quote mining" or just flat lying about it,(KNOWING full well that barely 1% of readers will go and check back)
BillW

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2017 12:16 pm
@farmerman,
One thing I've been looking for is a fossil of a fluke like animal with an indentation that scientists believe is precursor for eyes; ie, it has light receptor properties. It is recent, but i couldn't find it.

Frankly farmerman, I don't mess with them anymore. It's not worth it, a complewte waste of time. They are mind set, not to change regardless of fact! However, I do like comparing notes.
BillW

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2017 12:33 pm
@BillW,
Here it is, a flatworm. And, it not only covers the eyes but also the full topic at hand (evolutionary complexity):

http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolibrary/article/evo_53
brianjakub

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2017 12:42 pm
@Olivier5,
Quote:
I have already provided info on models assessing the likelohoods of actual mutations, as observed by comparing two bits of genomes. and they say that these mutations are likely enough.
Who are they, and what exactly did they say. How did they decide they were likely enough?
brianjakub

Reply Sun 17 Sep, 2017 01:56 pm
@farmerman,
Quote:
yeh, as bj fails to understand in many types of models using "decision trees in steps" (especially in evolution). The modeler(s) usually omit altrnative pathways of evolution or development whenever theres a "common ancestor " nodal point.
Why do they do that? Why would they assume that random mutations had provided the right information at that node? I think the reason is, they aren't including random mutations in the model.

It is called a decision tree because, a decision had to be made there, and it was. Natural selection decides if something lives or dies. That decision was made, (it lived) and that is why that node is there in that tree. Natural selection is now in the model. Where are random mutations in this model? The modelers ommited random mutations from the model by:
Quote:
The modeler(s) usually omit altrnative pathways of evolution or development whenever theres a "common ancestor " nodal point

The more genotypes and alles involved the more combinations that are available at that node in the decision. This will bring in a vast number of alternatives as multiple organsystems and tissue types are evolving at the same time.

The Hardy-Weinberg model that Farmer mentioned, has five basic assumptions: 1) the population is large (i.e., there is no genetic drift); 2) there is no gene flow between populations, from migration or transfer of gametes; 3) mutations are negligible; 4) individuals are mating randomly; and 5) natural selection is not operating on the population. Given these assumptions, a population's genotype and allele frequencies will remain unchanged over successive generations, and the population is said to be in Hardy-Weinberg equilibrium.

By definition random mutations are not part of the above model. In a true model of random mutations, all alternative pathways have to be considered. I don't know how many alternatives were possible but, I will assume, Nilsson and Pegler do for the evolution 0f the eye because it is in their paper. We do know it is going to involve multiple genotypes with each genotype having multiple alleles.

By pulling random mutations out of the model, we can use the Hardy Weinberg equation to view how the number of alternatives for complex evolution is going to build up exponentially, as an example of a single genotype with just two alles is given below.

tree.http://www.tiem.utk.edu/~gross/bioed/bealsmodules/hardy-weinberg.html
Quote:
The Hardy-Weinberg model consists of two equations: one that calculates allele frequencies and one that calculates genotype frequencies. Because we are dealing with frequencies, both equations must add up to 1. The equation

p + q = 1

describes allele frequencies for a gene with two alleles. (This is the simplest case, but the equation can also be modified and used in cases with three or more alleles.) If we know the frequency of one allele (p) we can easily calculate the frequency of the other allele (q) by 1 ó p = q.

In a diploid organism with alleles A and a at a given locus, there are three possible genotypes: AA, Aa, and aa. If we use p to represent the frequency of A and q to represent the frequency of a, we can write the genotype frequencies as (p)(p) or p2 for AA, (q)(q) or q2 for aa, and 2(p)(q) for Aa. The equation for genotype frequencies is

p2+ 2pq + q2 = 1.

Sinc,e all the alternatives were removed at each node as Farmer stated, this ends up being an example of reverse engineering, rather than a model of macroevolution by natural selection of random mutations.

Reverse engineering by definition is rebuilding the decision tree and trying to match the decisions every time a decision was needed which, Nilsson and Pegler, succeeded at. They did not attempt to explain how random mutations played into the engineering, and the Hardy and Weinberg equation shows us that the probability of random mutations providing the correct information at each node is going to end up with a number that is 1/a very big number.

Could you please explain what am I not understanding now?

PS I do not deny natural selection. I only doubt random mutations can provide the necessary new genetic material for natural selection to work because the evidence seems to point in that direction..
0 Replies