Don't tell me there's no proof for evolution

spendius

Reply Fri 18 Oct, 2013 05:17 pm
@farmerman,
What were the "other purposes" of the fused wings.

Try gluing your legs together. A week of it should satisfy even your lack of curiosity.
farmerman

Reply Fri 18 Oct, 2013 05:19 pm
@spendius,
maybe Dr Rick is just dripping over the edge. I hear your English beer can do that
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 18 Oct, 2013 05:19 pm
@spendius,
maybe Dr Rick is just dripping over the edge. I hear your English beer can do that
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 18 Oct, 2013 05:20 pm
@Setanta,
Quote:
You may regret addressing that clown Romeo, FM. Most people have come to the conclusion that he's a troll (and i personally think he's an adolescent troll) and that the best course is not to feed it.

How many times have we heard that shite before. I'm surprised the needle has not worn through the record yet.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Fri 18 Oct, 2013 05:23 pm
@farmerman,
Well, you do have a point. When i was 13 i knew a hundred times as much as i do now at age 63.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 18 Oct, 2013 05:31 pm
Back to Edgar's newsinding. The NYT today had a longer article and (I assume) will have an even longer article on SCIENCE TUESDAY section.
I can only ferret out the rationale for the conclusion they made was from the place and time that this fossil Homo represented. The fossil seems to be from the ame age as H. erectus,heidelbergensis and habilis.

Ok this skull now needs to be plastered down, with no shadows of doubt , regarding its chrono age (plus/minus 14 years). With great "CONCUSIONS" comes requisite evidence. The stuff in Nature was (IMHO) not compelling because they didn't hammer down the age too well in my mind. They had the damned thing since 2005 and they only did some very basic stratigraphy.
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Fri 18 Oct, 2013 07:13 pm
Farmerman said:
Quote:
its a tale of religion, and one that has NO basis in provable fact

You mean like the Theory of Evolution?
A theory is just a bunch of guesses and hunches, that's why it's only called the Theory of Evolution, and not the FACT of Evolution..Smile
I read Dawks's "Climbing Mt Improbable' and it's just a hodgepodge of speculations, holes and missing links..Smile

------------------------------------------------------------

Romeo Fabulini: Big Man on Campus!
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/zu1sA_zps94c5327a.jpg~original
farmerman

Reply Fri 18 Oct, 2013 07:18 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Quote:

A theory is just a bunch of guesses and hunches, that's why it's only called the Theory of Evolution, and not the FACT of Evolution

Wow, when you **** up an answer you do it big. Look up the word "theory' in science. (Or have someone who gives a **** explain it to you)
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 18 Oct, 2013 07:22 pm
STEPHEN J GOULD: "Evolution is a theory , and a fact"
Ill leave you the fun of solving this with your friendly neighborhood dictionary and a copy of "Hen's Teeth and a Horses Toes"

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/archive/9/93/20130829022812!Hen's_Teeth_and_Horse's_Toes.jpg

http://c250.columbia.edu/images/c250_celebrates/remarkable_columbians/240x240_gould.jpg                               STEPHEN J GOULD -A bigger man on campus

0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Fri 18 Oct, 2013 07:28 pm
@spendius,
Quote:
What were the "other purposes" of the fused wings.
God hadn't invented the zipper yet
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Fri 18 Oct, 2013 07:43 pm
Hey Farmerman, that looks like U.S .Grant in your avatar.
If it is, good for you..Smile
US Grant quote-"Hold fast to the Bible. To the influence of this Book we are indebted for all the progress made in true civilization and to this we must look as our guide in the future"
http://www.brainyquote.com/quotes/authors/u/ulysses_s_grant.html

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Romeo Fabulini: I just keep getting stronger!
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g64/PoorOldSpike/zu1sA_zps94c5327a.jpg~original
farmerman

Reply Fri 18 Oct, 2013 07:46 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
have you looked up "Theory" yet?
0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Fri 18 Oct, 2013 07:47 pm
You look up "Fact"..Smile

--------------------------------------------------------------

Romeo Fabulini, he shoots, he scores!
farmerman

Reply Fri 18 Oct, 2013 07:54 pm
@Romeo Fabulini,
Well, when you get to High SChool and a chemistry, physics, or biology teacher asks you to define a theory in science and whether it can be a fact as well, remember I was the one who asked you to look it up .

Too bad you're too stubborn to learn .

0 Replies

Romeo Fabulini

Reply Fri 18 Oct, 2013 08:15 pm
Neologist said:
Quote:
It's mighty frustrating when folks claiming to be believers do a better job of discrediting God's word than do the most well spoken atheists and agnostics

Hey mate, as a Jehovah's Witness, you admitted in another thread-
"I would answer yes to refusing a blood transfusion for myself or any of my dependents" (Neologist Aug 16 2006)

so don't you think letting your kids die discredits Christianity just a little bit?
Sheesh, i've heard about bad parenting but that takes the biscuit..Wink

-------------------------------------------------------------

Romeo Fabulini: he swings big, he hits big!
farmerman

Reply Sat 19 Oct, 2013 05:53 am
The bat is an interesting thing evolutionarily. We really don't know where to start looking in order to find earliest (pre Eocene) fosils. The "Concept of falsifiability" isn't useable here because some of the givens about modern bats may not be real drivers in their early appearance in the fossil record.
We do see some skulls of Paleocene "intermediates" wherein these skulls contain insectivore and mustelid characteristics , sort of an intermediate between weasels and shrews. But fully formed Michrochiropteran (little bat) forms begin to show up in the Eocene fossil record from very fined grained sediment laminae of lake deposits such as the Green River Shales or the Wegen Shales or in the Eocene parts of the deposits near Laioning.

The first questions presented themselves to "bat fossil guys" what were the ecosystetms these lake fossils exploited? Were insects nocturnal or did these small bats fly around in the Eocene daytime?

Later fossil work did discover that the large bats (Megachiropterans) like the fruit bats or the flying foxes, could be seen to gradually develop through the Eocene to the Miocene when these members of the bat clans were finally "finished evolving " into pretty much what we see today.

We don't have NO record. What we have is a spotty record of the entire groups beginnings. What we do have is a putative intermediate "Dawn bat" skull from the Paleocene of W Europe, we then see fully formed "little bats" appear in the Eocene of the US/Germany/ and China (about the time that the continents were reassembling into a modern configuration). Then we can trace the evolution of the big bat families after they split off from the microchiropterans in tropical environments of Asia and Africa.

The rules of falsification and "sourcing" of genera DOES work for the big bats , but Im not certain that we qill ever find the first true "dawn bat " full skeleton as a study specimen that allows us to trace how evolution treated these guys.

I brought this subject up to (I believe) medved a number of years ago . I was asserting that, if a Creationist wanted to really embarrass a paleontologist, they should use the evolution of bats , since the earliest days this entire suborder 's evolutionare pretty much a mystery.

What the Creationists do is to try to dismember evolution because of missing evidence pf one family. That's kinda funny because, by doing so, they purposely fail to focus on the many groups where we do have a very compete fossil record. SO maybe Bats were "Specially created" and everything else was allowed to evolve eh?
spendius

Reply Sat 19 Oct, 2013 06:33 am
@farmerman,
Quote:
I brought this subject up to (I believe) medved a number of years ago .

And no doubt to many others over the years and quite possibly week in week out.

Have you no idea how boring it is compared to flying angels ministering to our needs after being sufficiently induced and devils and fiends lurking in every shadow eager to capture our souls and deliver them up to eternal torment. You can invent a literature and architecture out of that.

What can you do with ******* bats. It must be the very last order of incompetence to not be able to become a fossil.
spendius

Reply Sat 19 Oct, 2013 06:36 am
@spendius,
Quote:
Come into the garden, Maud,
For the black bat, night, has flown,
spendius

Reply Sat 19 Oct, 2013 07:07 am
@spendius,
There's a lady on TV just now, Emma Spencer, wife of a top jockey who she doesn't bother with anymore having taken up with a commentator colleague, who is stood in the middle of Ascot racecourse giving us a report on the going. It's been raining all week.

She is wearing high heels and a lovely two piece mustard business suit type thing and has on her head a squat fez, at 30 degrees to a line from her nose to a point equidistant to the mid point between her slightly apart feet, out of which a number (10--15 about) of highly polished, sharply pointed metal spikes are sticking out 6 inches into space in an aureole of dazzling effulgence of such intensity in the bright sunlight that they might be said to look like thunderbolts issuing from the Godhead and flashing every time she moves her head to emphasise a point.

How did that apparition evolve fm? That's more interesting than bloody bats.
0 Replies

neologist

Reply Sat 19 Oct, 2013 09:53 am
@Romeo Fabulini,
I wrote:
It's mighty frustrating when folks claiming to be believers do a better job of discrediting God's word than do the most well spoken atheists and agnostics
Romeo Fabulini wrote:
Hey mate, as a Jehovah's Witness, you admitted in another thread-
"I would answer yes to refusing a blood transfusion for myself or any of my dependents" (Neologist Aug 16 2006)

so don't you think letting your kids die discredits Christianity just a little bit?
Sheesh, i've heard about bad parenting but that takes the biscuit..Wink
This being an evolution thread, one would think that practice might have caused JWs to become extinct by now. After 40 years, I have first hand knowledge of only 2 cases of refusing transfusion. Both lived. I have one friend who now has hepatitis C after a transfusion. Just anecdotal evidence, I know. But what's your point RF? Did Torquemada bring authenticity to Catholicism? The hands of nominal christianity are stained with the blood of millions.
0 Replies