Don't tell me there's no proof for evolution

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 02:36 pm
@rosborne979,
rosborne979 wrote:

Krumple wrote:
I would like to add to rosborne979's comment that usually those who attack the theory of evolution really don't attack the theory at all, they attack a strawman. They have constructed out of a bad definition either they have been misled to believe or their lack of education on the subject.
In all of the history of A2K there has never been a Creationist who demonstrated even a reasonable understanding of evolution. I even started a thread on that subject hoping that we would find someone who both understood it, and rejected it. A couple of the usual Creationist players entered the fray but they only recited the usual propaganda (which has been thoroughly refuted many many many times before).

AAAMeennnn
0 Replies

cicerone imposter

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 02:40 pm
@rosborne979,
That's because they're long on rhetoric and short on facts. All they do is compose a lot of words with no basis in fact, and try to pass that along as truth.

They fool themselves into thinking they are honest.
0 Replies

spendius

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 03:05 pm
@Krumple,
Quote:
The funny thing is you actually think anyone else cares about what you have to say.

I have no idea. I've had a fair amount of positive feedback for what that's worth. Look at my up and down thumbing record. Thousands I should guess. People must care one way or the other to thumb up or down don't you think. fm can't resist making a noise at me even when he has nothing to say.

Quote:
I am the only one and quite honestly I don't even really care all that much.

And I don't give a spit on a hotplate whether you care or not. If you do it's for your own use and equally so if you don't. It has nothing to do with me.

I want atheists to get their sodding act together and get selling themselves instead of copping out by continually carping about religious people. What a soft option that is.

Different woman every night laws. No romance (load of fanny). No art (load of free-loaders). No houses (really inefficient). Top down management (you silly fuckers in charge).

I can't wait. You're languishing in the opinion polls like a duck in an oil spill. Get on with it eh? Let's have a laugh.
spendius

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 03:06 pm
@spendius,
A big laugh. Not a little one like with ed's and ci's posts there.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 03:12 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:
I have no idea. I've had a fair amount of positive feedback for what that's worth. Look at my up and down thumbing record. Thousands I should guess. People must care one way or the other to thumb up or down don't you think. fm can't resist making a noise at me even when he has nothing to say.

Thumbing is meaningless. You might have one or two people who follow you around and don't actually care what you say they just thumb you up or down regardless of what you say. I know it happens to me. It renders the whole thing meaningless to me.

Krumple wrote:
I am the only one and quite honestly I don't even really care all that much.

spendius wrote:

And I don't give a spit on a hotplate whether you care or not. If you do it's for your own use and equally so if you don't. It has nothing to do with me.

I want atheists to get their sodding act together and get selling themselves instead of copping out by continually carping about religious people. What a soft option that is.

Another strawman. You see atheists are not a religion or a group that all think a like. I know you want to believe they do or expect them to but that isn't ever going to be a reality. Why? Because atheism isn't a world view it is just an answer to one question. The reason why it is so popular of a topic is because religious people dominate the political landscape imposing their will onto everyone else even if these other people are in agreement.

spendius wrote:

Different woman every night laws. No romance (load of fanny). No art (load of free-loaders). No houses (really inefficient). Top down management (you silly fuckers in charge).

Your strawmen... so what?

spendius wrote:

I can't wait. You're languishing in the opinion polls like a duck in an oil spill. Get on with it eh? Let's have a laugh.

That might be because atheists vote both ways because they aren't a group that has one political agenda?
spendius

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 03:26 pm
@Krumple,
It is not at all meaningless. It is a positive action by people and thus never meaningless.

Quote:
Another strawman.

Why is --"I want atheists to get their sodding act together and get selling themselves instead of copping out by continually carping about religious people. What a soft option that is." a straw-man?

By the way--there's a hyphen in straw-man.

Quote:
That might be because atheists vote both ways because they aren't a group that has one political agenda?

So what will they do when the come to power? Fight it out. How can they when they are spread out so thinly? How many political agendas have they? There's only one science. It's cut and dried. The instruments tell them what to think.
spendius

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 03:29 pm
@Krumple,
Are they all going to shout " STRAW-MAN!!!!" at everybody they don't agree with.
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 03:35 pm
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

It is not at all meaningless. It is a positive action by people and thus never meaningless.

It's neither positive nor negative. It doesn't do anything spend.

spendius wrote:

Why is --"I want atheists to get their sodding act together and get selling themselves instead of copping out by continually carping about religious people. What a soft option that is." a straw-man?

Because you are pigeon holing all atheists to have the same political or social points of view. They don't and never will. Some atheists are republicans and others are dems and some are libertarians and others want nothing to do with politics.

Some support gay marriage and others don't. Some support abortion and others don't. They are not a group per-say. They all have one thing in common, they don't believe in the existence of a god or gods but their political views and social moral views can differ. When are you going to understand this?

spendius wrote:

By the way--there's a hyphen in straw-man.

Thanks, but don't really care.

Krumple wrote:

spendius wrote:

So what will they do when the come to power? Fight it out. How can they when they are spread out so thinly? How many political agendas have they? There's only one science. It's cut and dried. The instruments tell them what to think.

I seriously can not believe you are this retarded. You seriously think this? Sometimes your level of ignorance is so overwhelming that I am skeptical that a person could be this stupid. Which is why I can only reason it out to be that you are either a moron or a troll, there is no other explanation.
spendius

Reply Fri 24 Aug, 2012 05:20 pm
@Krumple,
Quote:
Because you are pigeon holing all atheists to have the same political or social points of view. They don't and never will. Some atheists are republicans and others are dems and some are libertarians and others want nothing to do with politics.

No wonder you are so thinly spread and have no influence. You need to get together and agree an agenda. Shagging is the best bet.

Quote:
Which is why I can only reason it out to be that you are either a moron or a troll, there is no other explanation.

That's a straw-woman. There are explanations you have no experience of. Which doesn't mean there are no others.
0 Replies

sputnikmiller

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2012 10:22 pm
@aperson,
You cannot "see" [God] as a whole, just as you cannot see tectonic plates moving. It [exists regardless of what we can "see"]. The time-span of [your] human existance is a mere blip on [God's] scale. It is near impossible for we as humans to conceive this.

I am fed up with ignoramuses doubting [God]. DO YOUR RESEARCH DAMMIT.

You cannot "see" [God], BUT YOU DON'T NEED TO! All you have to do is put together basic facts.

Do you believe that there is such a thing as [Moral Law]?
Do you believe that there is such a thing as [Meaning of Life]?
Do you believe that there is such a thing as [the ridiculousness of the idea that Art, Culture, Altruism, this discussion thread... evolved from single-celled organisms]?
Do you believe that there is such a thing as [Truth]?

If you answered "yes" to all of these questions (and I very much hope you did), then you can answer "yes" to this also:

Do you believe that there is such a thing as [God]?

[God] is a very simple concept, don't try to complicate it.

cicerone imposter

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2012 11:44 pm
@sputnikmiller,
You're the one who's making it more complicated; if you can't see it, have a two-way discussion with it, and prove it exists, it doesn't exist.

Morals is a man-made concept, and it has nothing to do with any god. That's the reason why morals is subjective, and usually based on culture.

Get a life!
0 Replies

hingehead

Reply Tue 4 Sep, 2012 11:54 pm
@sputnikmiller,
If you're fed up with them why are you hunting down posts they made six years ago?
0 Replies

Krumple

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2012 01:55 am
@sputnikmiller,
sputnikmiller wrote:
Do you believe that there is such a thing as [Moral Law]?

Nope, we make up what we feel or want to be moral. There is no universal moral code that is intrinsic to humans. We make it up as we go along and learn from our past mistakes. ie. slavery.

sputnikmiller wrote:

Do you believe that there is such a thing as [Meaning of Life]?

Nope. we make this up too. Everyone comes up with a different explanation for their own meaning or purpose. There is absolutely nothing that suggests we have an objective meaning to life. If you say there is, prove it.

sputnikmiller wrote:

Do you believe that there is such a thing as [the ridiculousness of the idea that Art, Culture, Altruism, this discussion thread... evolved from single-celled organisms]?

Well the fact is, we did evolve from single celled organisms. So no it isn't ridiculous if you actually understand something about biological chemistry.

sputnikmiller wrote:

Do you believe that there is such a thing as [Truth]?

Well the truth is, there isn't a god. So I suppose I do believe there is a subjective truth. What's your point?

sputnikmiller wrote:

If you answered "yes" to all of these questions (and I very much hope you did), then you can answer "yes" to this also:

Well you are wrong about the three and the truth argument is irrelevant. So I would have to say I answered no to all of them essentially unless you can prove otherwise which I highly doubt you can.

sputnikmiller wrote:

Do you believe that there is such a thing as [God]?

Nope.

sputnikmiller wrote:

[God] is a very simple concept, don't try to complicate it.

This is the only thing I agree with. The key word though is "concept" because there are no real gods. The only place a god exists is in the imaginations of those who insist they need such a concept.
spendius

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2012 03:14 am
@Krumple,
What actual form are things existing in the imagination? What do they consist of?
Krumple

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2012 03:42 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

What actual form are things existing in the imagination? What do they consist of?

They consist of non-reality.
spendius

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2012 04:49 am
@Krumple,
That's soul Krumpie. Scientific materialism does not recognise immaterial entities.
edgarblythe

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2012 05:29 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

That's soul Krumpie. Scientific materialism does not recognise immaterial entities.

Of course, spendi does not recognize material ones.
0 Replies

rosborne979

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2012 05:52 am
@sputnikmiller,
sputnikmiller wrote:

You cannot "see" [God] as a whole, just as you cannot see tectonic plates moving.
There's a ton of evidence for tectonic plate movement. There is no evidence of God. Maybe that means God is smarter than a tectonic plate and doesn't want to be seen, or maybe it just means there's no God.

Modern humans haven't relied solely on what they see to understand the world in a long time. We rely on science and the discipline it gives us to weed out the emotional bullshit from reality.

Unfortunately for humanity, a lot of people still enjoy wallowing in emotional bullshit when it comes to actually understanding the world around them.
spendius

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2012 06:10 am
@rosborne979,
That's a species of emotional bullshit. We can only speculate on the emotional source but in my experience such tantrums derive from pantsdown positions.
Krumple

Reply Wed 5 Sep, 2012 06:13 am
@spendius,
spendius wrote:

That's a species of emotional bullshit. We can only speculate on the emotional source but in my experience such tantrums derive from pantsdown positions.

I've noticed that you pretty much resort to verbal tantrums after someone responds and answers your questioning with logical reasoning that you can't refute.