ISLAMIC BANKING: Banking Without Usury or Interest

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2006 02:23 pm
ISLAMIC BANKING: Banking Without Usury or Interest

Islamic banks appeared on the world scene as active players over two decades ago. But "many of the principles upon which Islamic banking is based have been commonly accepted all over the world, for centuries rather than decades".

The basic principle of Islamic banking is the prohibition of Riba- (Usury - or interest):
"While a basic tenant of Islamic banking - the outlawing of riba, a term that encompasses not only the concept of usury, but also that of interest - has seldom been recognised as applicable beyond the Islamic world, many of its guiding principles have. The majority of these principles are based on simple morality and common sense, which form the bases of many religions, including Islam.

"The universal nature of these principles is immediately apparent even at a cursory glance of non-Muslim literature. Usury was prohibited in both the Old and New Testaments of the Bible, while Shakespeare and many other writers, particularly those writing in the 19th century, have attacked the barbarity of the practice. Much of the morality championed by Victorian writers such as Dickens - ranging from the equitable distribution of wealth through to man's fundamental right to work - is clearly present in modern Islamic society.

"Although the western media frequently suggest that Islamic banking in its present form is a recent phenomenon, in fact, the basic practices and principles date back to the early part of the seventh century." (Islamic Finance: A Euromoney Publication, 1997)
It is evident that Islamic finance was practiced predominantly in the Muslim world throughout the Middle Ages, fostering trade and business activities. In Spain and the Mediterranean and Baltic States, Islamic merchants became indispensable middlemen for trading activities. It is claimed that many concepts, techniques, and instruments of Islamic finance were later adopted by European financiers and businessmen.

Continue to read:
http://www.islamic-banking.com/ibanking/whatib.php
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 410 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Chai

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2006 02:46 pm
It's just just Islam that doesn't charge interest.

Read the Merchant of Venice. Shylock, the Jewish money lender, charged interest for his loans and resented Antonio, not only for treating him badly, but, because of Antonio being a Christian, did not charge other Christians interest in his loans.

Of course, this was during the Middle Ages.

huh....found this link siting the tradition of not charging interest to his "countrymen"

Interest....

I wonder if anyone bothers with this anymore?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 11:18 am
Chai Tea wrote:
It's just just Islam that doesn't charge interest.

Read the Merchant of Venice. Shylock, the Jewish money lender, charged interest for his loans and resented Antonio, not only for treating him badly, but, because of Antonio being a Christian, did not charge other Christians interest in his loans.

Of course, this was during the Middle Ages.

huh....found this link siting the tradition of not charging interest to his "countrymen"

Interest....

I wonder if anyone bothers with this anymore?

Our society practically lives off of Usury these days. It's sickening how many people make a living off of nothing but manipulating money and predatory loans.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 11:33 am
No, what sickening is that people keep those making the loans in business. they wouldn't be in businees if the customer base were not there.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 11:49 am
McGentrix wrote:
No, what sickening is that people keep those making the loans in business. they wouldn't be in businees if the customer base were not there.

I don't disagree with this aspect of the problem.

To me, I think that our society reinforces the 'living off loans' idea, where people will have payments for everything over time. What ever happened to saving money up before you buy something?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 01:22 pm
I can see both sides of this.

On one had, there are the well known problems of getting deeply in debt, consuming too much, not being willing to delay gratification

On the other hand, being able to take out a loan in the event of illness, or in the event of a very temporary situation that can be repaid quickly.

Credit cards for instance, have been around such a short time, but they are so huge I can't get my mind around their power. I think the availability of credit has made many people embrace the mindset, "party today, tomorrow we may die". Unfortunately, most of the time we're still around tomorrow.

I think the credit problem is around for several reasons. The one mentioned above, and others. The shortness of time this industry has been around has caused a culture shock. My 90 year old neighbor down the street was talking to me the other day. He said he'd never had a credit card, didn't need one, didn't want one. Then, in his next breath, he told me how much trouble his oldest "kid" had with credit cards. He said "and I'm not gonna help him out!"

Also, if so recently our parents/grandparents did not have access to this credit, they were unprepared, mostly not realizing this was a skill they would have to teach their children.

This generation coming up is an even more "NOW NOW NOW" generation
0 Replies

fresco

Reply Mon 27 Nov, 2006 01:48 pm
Can somebody tell me where Arab oil money goes if it is not allowed to attract interest ? If for example it is invested in property whose value is affected by "time" and prevailing interest rates, what is the logical difference in such "profits" compared to "straight interest".
0 Replies

talk72000

Reply Tue 28 Nov, 2006 12:34 am
Interest I presume is based on time while profits are not.
0 Replies