Old Photos (Serious subject... forgive me)

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 07:40 pm
realjohnboy wrote:
Did yall know that Life magazine was launched on nearly this day some 84 years ago.
It brought photo-journalism into everyone's house.

I think everyone, with the possible exception of osso, is familiar with that piece of information, JohnnyBoy.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 07:42 pm
Yeah, but he has a photo shown in 1904....

ne'er mind.

I've been looking; the trouble is, one seems to need a name to make inquiries, say, at the New York Metropolitan Museum..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 07:44 pm
There were earlier photographers on that Masters List too.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 07:48 pm
I wish I could post more photos, osso. I have been scouring the internet for several hours looking for similar photographs from that time period and have found nothing remotely close.

The things that strikes me about these photos is the clarity of each one. You can zoom in without losing any detail.

For example: One of the photos is of an organ grinder in Austria. If you zoom in on his cart you can actually make out the details of the fabric.

I have yet to encounter any photo that offer such tightness (for lack of a better word)

I will continue my quest and if I do find the name of the photographer I will certainly add him to this thread.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 07:49 pm
(or her)
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 08:13 pm
Well, I certainly liked the photos I saw.

I found an Austrian photo site, Fotohof, but it seems to be all contemporary photography.
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 08:17 pm
Maybe I will send you some more photos, via pm, as long as I receive your assurances that none will be published.

But not tonight. I am tired and no longer feel like doing anything that would require thought.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 08:20 pm
Send me the German/Austrian pictures, gustav.
I'll look from my end.

Are they all from 1904?
0 Replies

realjohnboy

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 08:20 pm
Good evening to you, Gus. Sleep well..
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 08:24 pm
Absolutely. (And it's ok if you change your mind,)
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 08:36 pm
CalamityJane wrote:
Send me the German/Austrian pictures, gustav.
I'll look from my end.

Are they all from 1904?

Every single one of them.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 09:30 pm
I'm getting curious. How many are there?
Care to tell me how you got them and some more info?
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 04:49 pm
There are a couple hundred of these, Jane, and they were purchased (the negatives) at a garage sale.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 05:01 pm
Hmmmm.
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 05:09 pm
gus :
if you have easy access to a public or university library you might try and look for books with photographs from "old masters of photography ".
most library catalogs can be accessed via the internet .
you might want to give that a try .
a local photographers' club might also be able to help in identifying the photos .
hbg
0 Replies

hamburger

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 05:23 pm
gus :
have you checked the website of the >>>...AMERICAN MUSEUM OF PHOTOGRAPHY... ?
there are other photography museum websites available .
good luck and keep us up-to-date .
hbg
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 05:29 pm
I'm starting to think the photographer might have started out local to your area, thus the photos in the family's 'garage'. Or, that the photographer emigrated from Europe to the United States. They might be by a very sharp amateur hobbiest with a good eye, a good camera/lens/technique. A local historical museum might have a hint as well.
0 Replies

CalamityJane

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 06:24 pm
gustavratzenhofer wrote:
There are a couple hundred of these, Jane, and they were purchased (the negatives) at a garage sale.

Well gustav, you certainly did well there. The pictures I've seen are
very impressive, and I hope you'll display them in frames.

PM me one where you think it's typical German/Austrian. I might be
able to find out more then....
0 Replies

gustavratzenhofer

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 06:32 pm
This thing is a bit more complicated than appears. There are more players involved in this game than myself. I am actually one of the peripheral participants and that is why I had to remove the photos. (per request)

There is extensive research being done right now by several people and my involvement is more of a curious bystander than anything else.

When this whole thing comes to completion I will (with permission) post the photos in their entirety and disclose the story behind this.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 06:32 pm
If the photos are taken by a european immigrant to the US, it would seem to be by an upper class one, given the travel involved in Europe as well as the actual emigration to... New York?
0 Replies