Poll:Most Americans Say Iraq War Similar to Vietnam Conflict

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 09:14 am
Poll: Most Americans Now Say Iraq War Similar to Vietnam Conflict
By E&P Staff
Published: November 22, 2006

Claims by critics of the war in Iraq that this conflict is similar in many ways to the U.S. experience in Vietnam have long been derided by pundits and administrations officials. But a new survey finds that almost 6 in 10 Americans believe that the analogy is accurate.

A poll by Opinion Research Corporation released by CNN finds that 58% of respondents believe the war in Iraq has turned into a situation like the United States faced in Vietnam, up six points since early October.

In another finding, a whopping 63% of Americans now say they oppose the war in Iraq, with only 33% favoring it.

President Bush this week, on a visit to Vietnam, said that the lesson of that war was that the U.S. needs to stay in Iraq and "win" this time.

The poll is based on telephone interviews with 1,025 American adults, conducted from Nov. 17 to Nov. 19, 2006. Margin of error is 3 per cent.
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 304 • Replies: 2
No top replies

LittleBitty

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 09:27 am
I've always felt we needed to concentrate our efforts in Afghanistan and didn't like the feeling of abandoning that situation. I think Iraq could have waited until we completed our mission in Afghanistan.

When Iraq came up as some kind of concern, I was much more focused on Iran.

The main difference I see between Iraq and Vietnam was this idea of fewer troops in the country.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 09:49 am
Well, we got more advanced weapons, but the result is the same. If you don't kill every single one of them, they will continue the resistance.
0 Replies