I Was a Big "Kramer" Fan...

snood

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 10:54 am
I'm repeating myself here, but I don't need him to do anything else. My last several posts have been trying to explain that I think the attention to this event is understandable and justified. Don't try to make me out like I'm trying to get the man lynched.

And save your advice.
And happy t-day to you.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 11:00 am
Sorry, I thought you said you hadn't reached your ad nauseum level yet....that implies something more to be done. No?
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 11:16 am
No!
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 02:49 pm
a) There's nothing else for him to do. Apologies are pretty meaningless-- he showed he's a racist to at least some degree (a pretty significant degree, IMO), and that's that.

b) People can still feel like talking about it, without that meaning that they think there is something more he should do.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 03:32 pm
Got it.

Joe(what is the density, what is the frequency?)Nation
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 11:41 pm
cyphercat wrote:
a) There's nothing else for him to do. Apologies are pretty meaningless-- he showed he's a racist to at least some degree (a pretty significant degree, IMO), and that's that.

b) People can still feel like talking about it, without that meaning that they think there is something more he should do.

Thank you very much cat.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 01:15 am
snood wrote:
Thank you very much cat.

<puurrr>

Oddly, we turned on the tv tonight, and the Seinfeld where Kramer falls asleep in a tanning booth while getting ready for a date with a black woman was on, and his skin being burned dark becomes an issue. Strange timing to play that episode now.

It was most peculiar to watch, and yeah, not so funny anymore. Confused
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 09:25 am
Dammit, you people sound like whiny little kids who just found out their favorite sports hero is actually an a$$hole wife-beater(I'm not specifically talking about Jose Canseco). It's ok to stll enjoy the Kramer character, you're not going to hell for it.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 09:38 am
Some of us (me, for instance) will never be able to see that guy the same way again. There is no way we can enjoy watching his act, no matter what happens.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 06:22 pm
Well, speaking for myself, it's not some kind of conscious decision to not think Kramer's funny anymore (never a favorite part of the show for me anyway, so perhaps I'm not the best person to be commenting) because I might be "going to hell for it".

I'm not saying I was in high moral dudgeon or something, just that I found myself thinking about him being an jackass in real life more than thinking about what was happening in the show.
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 07:00 pm
As Kramer he played an off-the-wall weirdo and did a good job. Come to think of it, all of them played selfish liars and made us laugh at them.
Seinfeld cleverly touched many risky taboos without ever saying a single four-letter-word on that show.
Richards will have a hard time finding a job now, he blew it big-time.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 07:02 pm
Newsflash: a lot of celebrities are dysfunctional jackasses.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Fri 24 Nov, 2006 10:17 pm
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:

Yeah, no joke.

I'm not one of the ones in general who is disturbed in my enjoyment of a movie or tv show by what the actors are like, either. I don't need them to be exemplary human beings.

I won't avoid a Mel movie, or a Tom Cruise movie, or a Michael Richards--umm, infomercial or short-lived late-night talk show--ahem, anyhow, I'm not saying that at all. I'm just saying, it was odd that the Seinfeld yesterday related to a race thing, and it seemed more weird than funny under the circumstances.
0 Replies

KramerStillRules

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2006 12:38 am
whatever, those people deserved it
Too bad the video doesnt start until he starts ranting--those people deserved it by being loud, obnoxious and rude during his performance. when he says something about being interruptive they start insulting him. They called him a CRACKER and other racial remarks---he was trying to formulate that black people can call whites things but heaven forbid anyone call them a nigger. He was so mad though it just looked like an unprovoked rant. Kramer still rules and always will. LOSERS who interrupt performances will always be LOSERS.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2006 01:04 am
Re: whatever, those people deserved it
KramerStillRules wrote:
Too bad the video doesnt start until he starts ranting--those people deserved it by being loud, obnoxious and rude during his performance. when he says something about being interruptive they start insulting him. They called him a CRACKER and other racial remarks---he was trying to formulate that black people can call whites things but heaven forbid anyone call them a nigger. He was so mad though it just looked like an unprovoked rant. Kramer still rules and always will. LOSERS who interrupt performances will always be LOSERS.

To a point, you're right....and believe me, I'm the last person to start throwing around PC cards. My feeling, is, as a professional comic he could have dealt with the heckler in a better way than just yelling "nigger" at him. If he had half a brain, even, "WOW! Can't believe it, but a black guy, being loud at a comedy show? Who would have thunk it?" would have been funnier(in my book). I'm not even convinced the guy is a straight out racist, but even if he acted out just to shock....it had zero tack and humor in it. He loses.

Just thought of it today, unfortunately I don't have proof, but I saw a clip of one of the Wayans brothers years ago bombing at a comedy club that was filled with mostly white people, and he just blurts out...."A funny thing happened today. I killed four white people."

You hear booing. Of course THAT never would have hit national news.
0 Replies

Slappy Doo Hoo

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2006 01:04 am
Re: whatever, those people deserved it
KramerStillRules wrote:

To a point, you're right....and believe me, I'm the last person to start throwing around PC cards. My feeling, is, as a professional comic he could have dealt with the heckler in a better way than just yelling "nigger" at him. If he had half a brain, even, "WOW! Can't believe it, but a black guy, being loud at a comedy show? Who would have thunk it?" would have been funnier(in my book). I'm not even convinced the guy is a straight out racist, but even if he acted out just to shock....it had zero tact and humor in it. He loses.

Just thought of it today, unfortunately I don't have proof, but I saw a clip of one of the Wayans brothers years ago bombing at a comedy club that was filled with mostly white people, and he just blurts out...."A funny thing happened today. I killed four white people."

You hear booing. Of course THAT never would have hit national news.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2006 02:17 am
To all those of you who said this has ruined your enjoyment of his character on Seinfeld:

I'm sending each of you the complete Seinfeld DVD box set for Christmas. Enjoy!
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2006 05:46 am
Slappy Doo Hoo wrote:

Only a lot? You mean there are some of them who are fully functioning, rational, well-adjusted, upstanding pillars of the community? Whoever they are, it must be part of their act.

Joe(I can't name any)Nation
0 Replies

djjd62

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2006 05:49 am
i agree kicky, the show is still funny no matter what

black comedian patrice oneal said something funny on the opie and anthony show the other day

they were discussing the incident and subsequent apology, and his first comment was, as a comedian he didn't think he was being a racist until he apologised, he felt it was one of those, my comedy is so obtuse that noone gets it, kind of moments

then after the apology he thought that richards looked even worse, basically admitting to having thoughts about people he can't control, he felt the apology should have been more along the lines of, i'm sorry, i'm usually much better at hiding the disdain i have for other races, but this time i just kind of lost grip
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Sat 25 Nov, 2006 05:53 am
or : One thing you have to remember about me, I'm an idiot.
0 Replies