I Was a Big "Kramer" Fan...

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 08:43 am
Bear: I like the way you think, or whatever it is you do to get these thoughts out.

Richards will be in a "What ever happened to... " column ten years from now revealed as the manager of a tire store in Petaluma. There will be a still of the clip. He will be fired.

Joe(another victory for something)Nation
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 08:50 am
There are millions of people who have watched every episode of Seinfeld and then tuned in the reruns every night for at least ten or twelve years. They/we have reverenced that cast of characters and turned them into icons. It is rather traumatic to see one of those one loves transform from Jeckyl to Hyde right before our eyes. A minor incident to the non fan, perhaps. Fairly major to the rest of us.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 08:53 am
snood wrote:
Why is one inane, and the other not?

I think that both incidents sucked, big time. What I was responding to were Joe Nation's remarks, where he attempted to put the incident into perspective.
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 09:33 am
I'd like to throw in my comments (at the risk of being heckled to a ranting fit . . . )

First in reply to my dear Abuzz budy Setanta, whose wit, thoughtfulness and taste should never be in question. But just to point out the absurdity of PC-ness . . .

Setanta made an excellent point when he retorted: "Some of my best friends are women--but i wouldn't want my daughter to marry one."

So . . . are we lesbian-bashing now?

"Fifty years ago," I wonder if the audience would have walked out in protest. I am so very proud that they did. It makes me think we've come so far and then . . .

I'm so very ashamed that . . . fifty years ago is not the right time reference regarding the lynching. The last lynching in America was only a few years ago (1998):

http://64.233.161.104/search?q=cache:ACX8t-FvJJAJ:www.go-brooklyn.com/html/issues/_vol24/24_13/mayhorn.html+%22most+recent+lynching%22&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=2

I'm stunned.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 09:40 am
Quote:
The most recent lynching that Mayhorn discovered through her research was less than three years ago. The victim was Njeri Muthekeki, a 20-year-old woman in Muscle Shoals, Ala. On Aug. 12, 1998, "her body was found in a tree on a slope near an abandoned railroad track," writes Mayborn.

This story is in an article about an exhibit of lynchings of black women. It does not give any of the details of the police findings. Was this a lynching, a hate crime, or simply the deranged work of a murderer? Before we jump to conclusions, we need to know all of the facts.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 09:41 am
Phoenix32890 wrote:
snood wrote:
Why is one inane, and the other not?

I think that both incidents sucked, big time. What I was responding to were Joe Nation's remarks, where he attempted to put the incident into perspective.

Yeah, both incidents sucked, but then that wasn't in question.
I was responding to the question you and others appear to be asking - "What's the big deal about this Kramer thing, and why are we still talking about it?"
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 09:45 am
Snood- OK, Now I understand. I think that the point is that the guy fucked up, and we all talked about it. As obnoxious as it was, we cannot dwell on one stupid-ass comedian forever.

He made a serious gaffe, and I think that his career will suffer for it. He and it is not worth any more, just as talking about Gibson, ad nauseum, would be.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 09:46 am
I guess I just haven't reached my "ad nauseum" yet.
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 09:51 am
Quote:
The last officially recorded lynching in the United States occurred in 1968, though many consider the 1998 death of James Byrd in Jasper Texas, at the hands of three whites who hauled him behind their pick-up truck with a chain, a later instance.

http://72.14.209.104/search?q=cache:fJwjT66_upQJ:www.digitalhistory.uh.edu/database/article_display.cfm%3FHHID%3D213+%22lynching%22+%22last%22&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=3

There are laws against racial slurs and harassing speech. Why has Richards not been charged?
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 09:52 am
People have to vent, rather than hold it in. I say, take as long as you want.
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 09:54 am
That's pushing it, IMO. I think all the negative attention he's getting will serve as punishment enough. Especially if he's got an actual conscience, and it is touched by any of this.
I would think that he'd be aware of why this was such a big no-no, being Jewish and all.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 09:56 am
snood wrote:
I guess I just haven't reached my "ad nauseum" yet.

And I can understand why you feel the way that you do. I think that he hit a deep nerve in you, and you are smarting from it.
0 Replies

dupre

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 10:04 am
And here's that '98 lynching article for Njeri:

http://72.14.209.104/search?q=cache:kKl3MZ1fFWQJ:afrikan.i-dentity.com/wwwboard/messages/1938.html+%22lynching%22+%22njeri%22&hl=en&gl=us&ct=clnk&cd=29

and

http://afrikan.i-dentity.com/wwwboard/messages/1954.html

and

http://www.indexkenya.org/citation.asp?control=D06180
0 Replies

Miller

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 10:12 am
snood wrote:
... being Jewish and all.

Finally, the other shoe has dropped. I was wondering when we'd be hearing this type of comment
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 10:16 am
Miller wrote:
snood wrote:

Finally, the other shoe has dropped. I was wondering when we'd be hearing this type of comment

I have no idea what you mean, but I suspect its pretty unsavory.

For the reasonable among you, I simply meant that one could expect that a Jewish person (or a Gay person, or a woman or ... who has historically suffered from such things) should be more sensitive about epthets toward minorities.
0 Replies

edgarblythe

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 10:18 am
snood wrote:
Miller wrote:
snood wrote:

I have no idea what you mean, but I suspect its pretty unsavory.

For the reasonable among you, I simply meant that one could expect that a Jewish person (or a Gay person, or a woman or ... who has historically suffered from such things) should be more sensitive about epthets toward minorities.

I think most of us took your point and agree with you, snood.
0 Replies

Phoenix32890

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 10:22 am
snood wrote:

Agree. That is why I said what I did a few posts up. For me, a white woman, it was a disgusting display. For you, I would expect that it hit an extremely sore nerve.

Personally, I think that the remark about the tree and the fork, was far more disgusting and degrading than the word, "nigger". That would be tantamount to telling a Jewish audience, "Fifty years ago, you would have all been in ovens".
0 Replies

snood

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 10:23 am
quite so, Phoenix.
0 Replies

Joe Nation

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 10:46 am
So, snood, what are your hopes for his crackerass, I'm quoting the hecklers now, what do think ought to happen next?

More apologies? One knee, two knees?

and for Chrissakes, read your own signature.

Joe(i'm trying to read mine)Nation
0 Replies

detano inipo

Reply Thu 23 Nov, 2006 10:53 am
The word 'racism' brought this to mind. I apologize if it has little to do with Kramer. When Johnny Bright teamed up with Normie Kwong, a Chinese from Vancouver, the two fullbacks were unstoppable.
After Johnny Bright had enough of the racism in US college football, he went to Edmonton to become one of the greatest CFL players.
For the third straight year, Johnny Bright was leading the nation in offense when, on October 20, 1951, Drake travelled to Stillwater, Oklahoma to play Oklahoma A&M (now Oklahoma State).
Two years before, as a sophomore, Johnny Bright had been the first black man to play on the Oklahoma A&M field. This year, early in the game, a vicious blow to his face in those pre-face mask days by the Aggies' Wilbanks Smith - well after the play was over - fractured his jaw. He managed to shake it off and throw a touchdown pass on the very next play, but a few plays later, following another hard hit, he was forced to leave the game.
After his retirement from football, he devoted his full efforts to his other career, education, eventually becoming a junior high principal in Edmonton.
http://www.coachwyatt.com/johnnybright.html
0 Replies