OUR CIVIC DUTY

Setanta

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 10:21 am
I am interested to know how folks here would advise a hypothetical young man or woman who will be voting in 2004, but is seeking advice on how to make responsible decisions. Although i know that i can't control political content, i am really little interested in political leanings-i think we know one another here well enough to dispense with that. Rather, i would point out that the next national election is more than 16 months hence, so both how to make a responsible decision, and how to keep reliably informed in the interim are at issue here. I would like to see what sources you consider important, how you would advise someone to get as objective an assessment as possible, how you would advise the hypothetical voter-to-be to conduct him- or herself in debate, what issues and heads of discussion you consider it important to research . . . this is really a question about the behaviors you would advise.

Your thoughts, goys and birls?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 0 • Views: 926 • Replies: 7
No top replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 10:24 am
I think it would be appropriate to advise the young person that if he/she were to vote to re-elect George Bush it would be equivalent to gross crimes against humanity -- and that anyone who does so will more than likely roast in Hell being tormented and tortured excruciatingly and eternally for such misconduct.

I've tried to be objective and reasonable.

How'd I do?
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 10:26 am
Made me smile.
0 Replies

mamajuana

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 10:49 am
First thing I'd suggest would be to do some reading - the Constitution, the Preamble, some American History. Some discussion about government - who and why the set-up; what it's supposed to do. A little discussion about federal vs state's rights. Role of judiciary. What the balance of power is and means. Then, maybe, a little reading and history of presidents and wars.

Mostly, the importance of voting - what it means, what it can effect.

(Once teacher, always a teacher.) In practice, this is what I do with my grandsons. There's more to life than soccer, hockey, roller boarding, and basketball. And games. However, these can all be interwoven, like in how and in what way Hitler and the Nazis tried to control the Olympic athletes.
0 Replies

Frank Apisa

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 10:58 am
After reading Mamajuana's post, I think I would do that too.

THEN I would tell him/her that if he/she were to vote to re-elect George Bush it would be equivalent to gross crimes against humanity -- and that anyone who does so will more than likely roast in Hell being tormented and tortured excruciatingly and eternally for such misconduct.
0 Replies

Brian

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 11:29 am
I would tell him/her to do a lot of research. Don't mistake other people's opinions for fact. Try not to be influenced by rhetoric and emotion, just the reality and the facts. Learn to read through the BS and lies. What was the candidates record before on the issues? Have they lied before about the same issues? Have they followed through on their promises? I would tell him/her to vote for the person who is on their side on the issues that are most important to them.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Wed 18 Jun, 2003 11:38 am
So far so good, thanks to everyone -- Frank, you shouldn't be so dry, tell us what you really think.

Please keep 'em coming.
0 Replies

kuvasz

Reply Thu 19 Jun, 2003 01:35 am
"You tell me whar a man gits his corn pone, en I'll tell you what his 'pinions is."
Marx Twain?

with that i would start. one needs to know what elections mean in the society, what forces are at work and what information is available to be able to access what is going on in the country and the consequences of electing one person or another.

sure it helps a citizen of a consititutional republic to know the consititution under which one lives, but it is the competent analysis of the economic and cultural factors of society which led one to express opinion by voting one way or th eother.

the questions then are by what manner is a citizen stimulated to seek information to make a competent analysis of the economic and cultural factors affected by politics, and where does one acquire this information.

you have to show young people how they will be affected by political policies to get them involved in the process. if they are interested, they will find out what they need to know. if they dont care, they will watch WWFW on election day.
0 Replies