Workplace Bully

Sunrock

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 09:44 am
Ever been bullied at work? How have you dealt with it?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 1,792 • Replies: 22
No top replies

Bella Dea

Uh, a little more information would be helpful...

Such as who is bullying you? And what are they doing?
0 Replies

Chai

bullies back off when you stand up to them 99% of the time.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 09:46 am
Documentation.

Venting.

Physical intimidation. ;-)

(I don't recommend the last one, but it worked in my case.)
0 Replies

Sunrock

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 09:54 am
Okay, I'll be as brief as possible--

A female co-worker who I once enjoyed a decent enough relationship. She was being a **** to me once before, and I nipped it in the bud by telling her I didn't appreciate her treating me like a nincompoop. Eventually she lightened up.

But she's back again with a vengeance, it's almost as if she's begging for a confrontation. I just want to tell her to back off. I can be confrontational.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 09:57 am
Are you a man or a woman?
0 Replies

Sunrock

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 10:04 am
Female.

The trouble is with the work culture-- if the leadership were better it would be nipped in the bud. The fact is, I cannot go to the supervisors about this because they won't do anything.

When I first started she was bitching and moaning about everything and I would pipe in, give my two cents worth, help her out, etc. but as time has gone by I have observed her total lack of gratitude toward everything, not just me. I do not like this woman, and have no respect for her, however, I do feel it will send a message to her if I tell her she's a bully and I would appreciate it if she would back off.

One more note: I'm pretty sure she's an alcoholic.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 10:11 am
Sunrock wrote:

A female co-worker who I once enjoyed a decent enough relationship. She was being a **** to me once before, and I nipped it in the bud by telling her I didn't appreciate her treating me like a nincompoop. Eventually she lightened up.

But she's back again with a vengeance, it's almost as if she's begging for a confrontation. I just want to tell her to back off. I can be confrontational.

Arrange a meeting between you and her with a supervisor present.
Confrontation does not have to be negative....is it after all, just addressing the elephant in the room

If she refuses to set up a meeting with you....go to your supervisor and set it up with him/her, and have your co-worker attend.

Either way, inform her before hand so she won't feel she is being blind sided.

During the meeting, it's VERY important you keep your cool and remain on task. Have as much as possible written in notes for yourself in a clear order, so you can refer to them, and remain accurate.

People love to drag others off track, and unless you keep on the problem at hand, you'll find yourself talking about something totally unrelated.

If she wants to discuss something else, tell her "Let's talk about that when we finish the subject at hand, here, I'm making a note of what you want to discuss so we can come back to it" chances are, once the major problems are address, you won't need to go back to anything.

During the meeting, give her the chance to tell her story without interupting. That way, when you are talking, you can point out to her that you let her have her say, now it's your turn, and we can get back to you when I'm done.

If you are talking first and she interrupts, let her know it's your "turn" and will let her have her say uninterrupted when she is done.

If you stick to the business at hand, and she ends up all over the place, the third party will see that.

After a few back and forths with your "stories" turn it into a dialogue. Let her know that you listened to her comments, and can see the merit in some of them. Give her that respect and she's more likely to give respect to you. As a matter of fact, if she acts discrespectful, remind her that you treated her respectfully, and need to be treated the same way in return.

If it goes well to this point, try to make it where both of you get something positive out of the meeting. Don't make it a "I win, you lose" thing. After all, the end result should be that you are both more comfortable in the workplace.

Repeat as necessary.
0 Replies

George

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 10:12 am
Sunrock wrote:

Don't, and I do mean DON'T try to use that.
0 Replies

Sunrock

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 10:23 am
Chai Tea wrote:
Sunrock wrote:

Arrange a meeting between you and her with a supervisor present.
Confrontation does not have to be negative....is it after all, just addressing the elephant in the room

If she refuses to set up a meeting with you....go to your supervisor and set it up with him/her, and have your co-worker attend.

Either way, inform her before hand so she won't feel she is being blind sided.

During the meeting, it's VERY important you keep your cool and remain on task. Have as much as possible written in notes for yourself in a clear order, so you can refer to them, and remain accurate.

People love to drag others off track, and unless you keep on the problem at hand, you'll find yourself talking about something totally unrelated.

If she wants to discuss something else, tell her "Let's talk about that when we finish the subject at hand, here, I'm making a note of what you want to discuss so we can come back to it" chances are, once the major problems are address, you won't need to go back to anything.

During the meeting, give her the chance to tell her story without interupting. That way, when you are talking, you can point out to her that you let her have her say, now it's your turn, and we can get back to you when I'm done.

If you are talking first and she interrupts, let her know it's your "turn" and will let her have her say uninterrupted when she is done.

If you stick to the business at hand, and she ends up all over the place, the third party will see that.

After a few back and forths with your "stories" turn it into a dialogue. Let her know that you listened to her comments, and can see the merit in some of them. Give her that respect and she's more likely to give respect to you. As a matter of fact, if she acts discrespectful, remind her that you treated her respectfully, and need to be treated the same way in return.

If it goes well to this point, try to make it where both of you get something positive out of the meeting. Don't make it a "I win, you lose" thing. After all, the end result should be that you are both more comfortable in the workplace.

Repeat as necessary.

Thank you so much for this sound advice. I really appreciate it.

The only thing I think I won't be able to do is to tell her in advance-- she seethes when she's around me.

Here's the good news-- she and I have just gotten a new supervisor that we both like. So I have confidence that the supervisor will know how to handle it.
0 Replies

Sunrock

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 10:24 am
George wrote:
Sunrock wrote:

Don't, and I do mean DON'T try to use that.

No, I wouldn't. I'm just stating a fact. I also know she's menopausal. Still, it's no excuse for her to be taking her frustrations out on me.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 10:35 am
oh yeah....like george says, DON'T talk about her private life in ANY way.

As a matter of fact, if alcohol drugs are an issue with someone in the workplace, that is definitly an issue to be handled by her boss.

hmmmm....I know she will seethe, but really, you need to give her at least some time to get her thoughts together for a meeting.

It's not quite cricket to come into a meeting all prepared with your ducks in a row, and bring her in blind, for several reasons. 1st of which that isn't fair.

If she comes in cold, she's more likely to be highly emotional and not sticking to the facts, that could make a productive meeting impossible. She could REALLY have it in for you afterwards, feeling you have attacked her "out of the blue"

If she's prepared, and she still rants, that just makes you look better, remaining in control.

Yeah, she'll seethe beforehand, but look at it this way, it's only for a short while, and you can think...in X amount of hours, this will be over.

One other thing bullies do when they are "forced" to have a come to jesus talk is try to make you feel like you're the one making a big deal out it things, and "wasting" your time.

Know in your mind and heart you are doing the right thing. Be the better person.

what is that quote? I'm not going to get it quite right, but it's something like "even if your voice shakes, speak your mind"

good luck.
0 Replies

Sunrock

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 10:46 am
Chai Tea wrote:
oh yeah....like george says, DON'T talk about her private life in ANY way.

As a matter of fact, if alcohol drugs are an issue with someone in the workplace, that is definitly an issue to be handled by her boss.

hmmmm....I know she will seethe, but really, you need to give her at least some time to get her thoughts together for a meeting.

It's not quite cricket to come into a meeting all prepared with your ducks in a row, and bring her in blind, for several reasons. 1st of which that isn't fair.

If she comes in cold, she's more likely to be highly emotional and not sticking to the facts, that could make a productive meeting impossible. She could REALLY have it in for you afterwards, feeling you have attacked her "out of the blue"

If she's prepared, and she still rants, that just makes you look better, remaining in control.

Yeah, she'll seethe beforehand, but look at it this way, it's only for a short while, and you can think...in X amount of hours, this will be over.

One other thing bullies do when they are "forced" to have a come to jesus talk is try to make you feel like you're the one making a big deal out it things, and "wasting" your time.

Know in your mind and heart you are doing the right thing. Be the better person.

what is that quote? I'm not going to get it quite right, but it's something like "even if your voice shakes, speak your mind"

good luck.

This is all very sound and you are correct.

Is it okay for me to email her and tell her I would like to talk with her about why she is so mad at me and if she is unwilling to do so then I will ask the supervisor to step in? This way, I can inform her, that she can prepare to go into the meeting and to know I would like to resolve the problems she is having with me in order that the work environment can be bearable.
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 11:28 am
I don't know about doing it via email....What does everyone else think?

to me it smacks of people breaking up via text messaging.

In no particular order....

you have to be REALLY careful what you put in writing, I could see a million ways she could take something you said in writing and turn it around.

anyway, you email her, what if she just responds "no" and ignores you. Then you're "forced" to take the next step of arranging for the boss to step in. Either way, you're still letting her "be in charge"

To take the high road, I first meet with your supervisor when he/she seems to be in a receptive mood (timing is all), and explain that...

there seems to be some kind of problem going on between you and Susie, and you'd really appreciate your superv. taking a few minutes in the next day or so to help clear the air.

Explain how you feel this is hurting your productivity, and simply want to clear whatever misunderstanding there is so everyone can work well together (see, you've become pro-active in the mind of the boss)

Say that you'd appreciate being able to approach Susie yourself first, so that she can see you're trying to work things out, and so it won't seem like either of you are being called on the carpet. Get a a couple of times from her that might be good...preferably that day.

Then, even though your hands may be sweating....take 2 minutes to knock on Susie's door, asking permission to come in and talk. Even if she just says, "about what?" take that as permission, sit down and pretty much say the same thing as above...ending with...."would you prefer to get together to talk this out this morning, maybe around 10 o'clock? Or is the afternoon @ 4 better?"

That way, you've presented her with a choice, so she can't feel totally out of control....if she says "neither is good and I don't want to talk about anything" You've made your offer....

If she flat out refuses, then get your boss involved.

In any event, you have made an impression on your boss that you're professional, thoughtful and fair.

Oh...just a thought....when you show up to "the meeting" bring in a plate of cookies or something similar, make sure whatever it is, it's your co-workers favorite, can't resist kind :wink:
0 Replies

Bella Dea

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 01:11 pm
I don't see a problem with the email.

Email systems often have a function where you can send her a Meeting/Appointment notice for her accept or decline.

I don't know what you'd say though. That's the problem. I can't find any way to say it without sounding like a complete tattle.

Maybe it's best to just tell her. Or if you really feel bullied, ask your boss to do it.
0 Replies

Sunrock

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 01:28 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
I don't know about doing it via email....What does everyone else think?

to me it smacks of people breaking up via text messaging.

In no particular order....

you have to be REALLY careful what you put in writing, I could see a million ways she could take something you said in writing and turn it around.

anyway, you email her, what if she just responds "no" and ignores you. Then you're "forced" to take the next step of arranging for the boss to step in. Either way, you're still letting her "be in charge"

To take the high road, I first meet with your supervisor when he/she seems to be in a receptive mood (timing is all), and explain that...

there seems to be some kind of problem going on between you and Susie, and you'd really appreciate your superv. taking a few minutes in the next day or so to help clear the air.

Explain how you feel this is hurting your productivity, and simply want to clear whatever misunderstanding there is so everyone can work well together (see, you've become pro-active in the mind of the boss)

Say that you'd appreciate being able to approach Susie yourself first, so that she can see you're trying to work things out, and so it won't seem like either of you are being called on the carpet. Get a a couple of times from her that might be good...preferably that day.

Then, even though your hands may be sweating....take 2 minutes to knock on Susie's door, asking permission to come in and talk. Even if she just says, "about what?" take that as permission, sit down and pretty much say the same thing as above...ending with...."would you prefer to get together to talk this out this morning, maybe around 10 o'clock? Or is the afternoon @ 4 better?"

That way, you've presented her with a choice, so she can't feel totally out of control....if she says "neither is good and I don't want to talk about anything" You've made your offer....

If she flat out refuses, then get your boss involved.

In any event, you have made an impression on your boss that you're professional, thoughtful and fair.

Oh...just a thought....when you show up to "the meeting" bring in a plate of cookies or something similar, make sure whatever it is, it's your co-workers favorite, can't resist kind :wink:

I spoke with the supervisor and she has sent an email to the person cc'ing me telling said bully that I have asked for the three of us to meet on Monday.

The supervisor is really nice and understood that it was an issue of respect in the workplace, and, this meeting has in no bearing on any of the (dorky)evaluations, it simply is an effort to clear the air, because, if it doesn't happen then I am going to blow...
0 Replies

Chai

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 02:37 pm
Good deal Very Happy

let us all know how it goes...
0 Replies

Sunrock

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 02:59 pm
Bella Dea wrote:
I don't see a problem with the email.

Email systems often have a function where you can send her a Meeting/Appointment notice for her accept or decline.

I don't know what you'd say though. That's the problem. I can't find any way to say it without sounding like a complete tattle.

Maybe it's best to just tell her. Or if you really feel bullied, ask your boss to do it.

Yes, it's a sensitive subject. But, then again, it is a workplace issue, and it is the supervisor's responsibility to step in. I'm not a snitch, and that is why I have followed Chai Tea's sound advice, so as to make the person aware of how her behavior affects others, while not making her feel threatened.

It's interesting-- my supervisor told me when she was going through a divorce she lashed out at a co-worker because of all the stress. She then realized she was inflicting her own problems on someone else and apologized.
0 Replies

Sunrock

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 03:00 pm
Chai Tea wrote:
Good deal Very Happy

let us all know how it goes...

Thanks Chai Tea, I will. Although, I don't feel like I want to bring any cookies or food. Then again, Trader Joe's sells what looks like a kick-ass flourless dark chocolate cake...
0 Replies

Sunrock

Reply Wed 22 Nov, 2006 08:55 pm
Hi All, the meeting took place yesterday and it was a success. We resolved our differences thanks to the mediation of our new supervisor.

It started out tense, as expected. I remained calm but it was difficult to not show the anger on my face, which I wholeheartedly fessed up to being.

But it's been resolved, and we have restablished a relationship with one another with the agreement that if she gets a bit too intense to point it out to her. One thing she said to me that was interesting: she was really pissed at me because it got back to her that "I thought she thought I was an idiot."

I was relieved this was the worst of it-- because I was able to explain to he why her actions led me to think so. She accepted it. I apologized to her and said I had no intention of spreading that but I was unable to go to her directly.

Thanks one and all for your input. Before I decided to consult this forum I looked up "Bullies at Work" and the prognosis was grim; it gave a scenario of "be prepared to not have your family or friends understand" "Be prepared for a long-haul." Coming here was a much more productive solution.

I'm a little concerned because the walls of the room we were in are easy to hear through. So I hope no one was listening, especially because it was a private concern.
Thanks again.
0 Replies