Which wood would woo you?

farmerman

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 04:03 pm
I like walnut for shelving and furniture because of its density. For a big room floor, a really dense wood echos. A lot of the newer homes with 2 story atria have an ungodly echo, like a cathedral, so people spend a fortune for hard wood entry ways and then have to carpet em up so it doesnt sound like a bandshell.

Our floors are random width and thats what makes the diference in oak. I meant to say that the floors (oak) have darkened to a walnut like color but without the "purple" cast that varnished walnut has for about 15 years. Then as it lightens , walnut gets warmer.

Im like Beth, any non-native exotic wood(except teak and mahogany) is probably harvested from virgin forests and is a dwindling commodity that is usually used in veneers, where as maple, walnut and oak and pecan are mostly all stand grown solid woods.
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 06:12 pm
Heres some Aussie hardwood flooring boomer.

http://www.caatimbers.com.au/choosing.html

Blackwood is beautiful but can be a bit variable.

Tasmanian oak is a trade name for several different species.
The same with Victorian Ash
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 06:39 pm
Wow! Those are some beautiful woods dadpad! I love both the spotted gum and the blackwood. I don't think I have ever seen gum offered for flooring - especially in so many varieties. Is it just not available in the states?

Nobody has to worry about echos is my house farmerman - it's dinky. The dinkiness is one of the reasons I think I could get away with something with a lot of "pop". I don't want the floors to be overwhelming but I do want it noticed.

I love the random width floors. Beautiful.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 06:43 pm
No, ipe is not from virgin forests... one of the big pros on ipe is the eco sustainability. I don't think of it as inexpensive, and you have to be sure of your sources as there is some that isn't from certified forests.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 06:45 pm
I had redwood and gum wainscotting in my house in Eureka (schniff)... old growth, since the house was old, 1x redwood, and gum veneer panels between...
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 08:54 pm
boomerang wrote:
Wow! Those are some beautiful woods dadpad! I love both the spotted gum and the blackwood. I don't think I have ever seen gum offered for flooring - especially in so many varieties. Is it just not available in the states?

Boomer I am unable to quickly find links to retailers/wholesalers in the US or exporters in OZ. If i can find anything I'll post it or pm at a later date. Mr B may be interested in having a look.

A timber person from the US once told me we have the "some of the best coloured hardwood in the world".

I'm inclined to agree. Cool
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 09:13 pm
I was asking Mr. B about Austrailian wood and he said "oh yeah, cyprus and spotted gum..... hard to come by..... only one exporter that I know of...." (he doesn't much talk shop with me).

I was telling him about you and he asked me to forward your link to his email.

If there is a different link I should see PM it to me.

Does "Moxon" (I'm not sure of the spelling) ring any bells?
0 Replies

dadpad

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 11:10 pm
boomerang wrote:
I was asking Mr. B about Austrailian wood and he said "oh yeah, cyprus and spotted gum..... hard to come by..... only one exporter that I know of...." (he doesn't much talk shop with me).

because the only wood you need to know about is........oh wait

boomerang wrote:
Does "Moxon" (I'm not sure of the spelling) ring any bells?

Queensland exporter and supplier but I dont know anything about them

The sales end of timber is something I know very little about. I grow em tend em and cut the suckers down and say goodbye to 'em.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 04:43 pm
A tree farmer! What a cool job!

I've decided on the ipe.

It is really dark so I hope I don't regret it but the greens in it are just so pretty that I can't resist.

I'll do photos once I'm back in town.

Thank you all for helping me think it through.
0 Replies

ossobuco

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 07:31 pm
Lovely - though I pumped for stuff on ipe, I would have liked any... I'm happy you're getting the new flooring.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 18 Nov, 2006 02:51 pm
My new floors are here! My new floors are here!

I'm so excited I can hardly stand it.

Our house was in desperate need of upgrading.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Sat 18 Nov, 2006 03:27 pm
Ipe, baby!

I'm driving Mr. B nuts but unstrapping and laying out sections of floor so I can get an idea of what it is going to look like all put together.

It is really pretty; the color range is amazing - from warm brown to near black with beautiful greenish streaks through it.
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Sat 18 Nov, 2006 03:41 pm
That sounds great!

Pictures pictures! (When it's done, I know, but still!)
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Sat 18 Nov, 2006 03:47 pm
I went back to last night and saw that you'd decided on the ipe. Cool. Smile
0 Replies