Which wood would woo you?

ehBeth

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 01:23 pm
If/when I replace/upgrade flooring here, I'm going to go to cork. It's part of my think globally/act locally project.

I've seen some amazing effects - and it feels so dang good on your feet (and it's nice and easy on your ankles/knees/hips).
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 01:24 pm
Maple is the only one that Mr. B said "no" about. For whatever reason he just doesn't like it.

It sounds like you don't think walnut is such a great choice, farmerman. Hmmmm......

That's a great link, eoe, thanks. It had a wood on there that I'd been looking for. Mr. B is supposed to bring home a piece of it today for me to get a real look at. I like it a lot on that site and might just add it to my list:

Cumaru (Brazillian Teak)

I'll bet your floors are gorgeous!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 01:28 pm
Go with the ipe. Hard, strong, pretty, and not really expensive.

I like maple, but oak and maple are bad about changing dimensions with moisture content.

This site has good pictures and discriptions. By the way, I've heard that bamboo is not quite up to par inspite of the claims.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 01:39 pm
boomerang wrote:
I'll bet your floors are gorgeous!

they are. thanks. Very Happy
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 01:39 pm
I've seen some beautiful cork floors but that isn't an option.

Neither is bamboo - which I like a lot. (I'm trying to figure out how to do a bamboo ceiling in my bedroom.)

It has to be something that Mr. B's company stocks - hardwoods, period.

Ipe is supposed to be pretty environmentally friendly and that counts in it's favor.

I really want to see the teak now though.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 01:43 pm
I'm sure you'll find something wonderful, especially with a discount coming thru Mr. B. Too bad he doesn't like maple. That would be nice and rich, kinda country, with the green and brown walls.
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 01:46 pm
Still keeping an eye out for hickory/pecan in the right dimensions. Does Mr. B do mail order?
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 01:50 pm
Hickory/pecan? Link please.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 01:53 pm
I'm afraid the shipping on hardwood would be more expensive than the wood itself!

Actually his company doesn't sell wood in any kind of retail sense of the word at all.

I agree that the hickory pecan is to die for.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 01:57 pm
Hickory/pecan

http://www.countyfloors.com/species/hickory.jpg
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 01:58 pm
That is gorgeous!!
0 Replies

roger

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 01:59 pm
It's a conspiracy, Eoe. Hickory and pecan are so closely related, and so similar in looks and properties it's considered legitimate to substitute pecan for hickory.

I wish I could have told you it was a whole new hybrid.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 02:10 pm
I much prefer pine planking, not a 'hard" wood but a very cosy floor that will last forever.
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 02:26 pm
You just don't see pine floors up here.

Huh.

I wonder if it just doesn't do well in the wet climate.
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 02:30 pm
Pine floors are definitely a Southern/Southwest thing.

I thought the tigerwood was gorgeous. Has a lot of character; too bad it doesn't fit your color scheme.

Cumaru is my second favorite of what's been mentioned. I tend to like darker woods, and for the grain to show some contrast.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 02:34 pm
I thought the tigerwood had so much character that it forced you to downplay everything else. Any kind of pattern in your furniture will clash with it seemingly. Unless you use a large area rug and very little of the floor is actually visible.
0 Replies

dyslexia

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 02:34 pm
pine flooring;
http://www.nashfloors.com/photos/hardwood_suppliers/APF_Chase_10.jpg
0 Replies

DrewDad

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 02:39 pm
No visible nails? How effete.
0 Replies

eoe

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 02:40 pm
oh-oh
0 Replies

boomerang

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 03:05 pm
I like the grain of tigerwood too but the color just didn't work quite right.

I do have the option for zebrawood but I was worried that it would be to busy since my rooms are pretty small.

I'm a real minimalist in the furniture department. I don't have anything with texture or pattern and like things sparsly furnished.

The floors are definately what you see in my house.

I would like something with a little "wow" since Mr. B's business is hardwood and the more people want wood the more music lessons I can afford for Mo.
0 Replies