JRROTC To Be Phased Out

Reply Wed 15 Nov, 2006 03:46 pm
In San Francisco schools.
Fox News.
Some more of the soon to be speakers constituents "supporting our military"?
I wonder if those same schools would phase out gay pride clubs?
  • Topic Stats
  • Top Replies
  • Link to this Topic
Type: Discussion • Score: 1 • Views: 767 • Replies: 18
No top replies

Baldimo

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 11:25 am
Re: JRROTC To Be Phased Out
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Fox News.

This is a sad state of affairs. I hope that when they do this, they lose some sort of funding. Turning the children into political pawns.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 11:31 am
Baldimo wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Fox News.

This is a sad state of affairs. I hope that when they do this, they lose some sort of funding. Turning the children into political pawns.

You could look at it the other way around, really.

I don't have a problem with ROTC (many of my friends were in it and it is generally a positive experience) and I don't have a problem with people deciding to ban it either, if that's what they want, and if they lose federal money for it, that's the choice they made.

When the vast majority of your citizens are anti-war, and you are talking about the area which basically spawned the global anti-war movement, you aren't going to see a lot of support for militarism.

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 11:49 am
Huh, I never though I see you defend mob rule.
0 Replies

parados

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 11:55 am
Mob rule? Are you an elected official in SF now McG? Or are you part of a mob tryin to affect what elected officials did?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 11:56 am
McGentrix wrote:
Huh, I never though I see you defend mob rule.

Yeah, that damn democracy thing sucks when it doesn't go the way you want, don't it?

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

McGentrix

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 12:04 pm
So, let's say a school in Kansas disbands the gay and lesbian alliance, your ok with that too?
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 12:09 pm
McGentrix wrote:
So, let's say a school in Kansas disbands the gay and lesbian alliance, your ok with that too?

Sure.

If someone who isn't okay with it wants to challenge the decision, there exists a method for determining whether or not the Kansas school is within their rights under non-discrimination laws in doing so - the Judicial system of America. They are more than welcome to bring their case up in court in the appropriate fashion.

In the same vein, if there exist a group of concerned parents in the SF school district who wish to challenge the decision, they can go the same route.

Once again, it's that damn Democracy in action

Cycloptichorn
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 01:15 pm
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Baldimo wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Fox News.

I don't have a problem with ROTC (many of my friends were in it and it is generally a positive experience) and I don't have a problem with people deciding to ban it either, if that's what they want, and if they lose federal money for it, that's the choice they made.

When the vast majority of your citizens are anti-war, and you are talking about the area which basically spawned the global anti-war movement, you aren't going to see a lot of support for militarism.

Cycloptichorn

Do you think it is important for the military to try and recruit some of the best and brightest for the acadamy?
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 01:44 pm
woiyo wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Baldimo wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Fox News.

Cycloptichorn

Do you think it is important for the military to try and recruit some of the best and brightest for the acadamy?

No they want more people for irak so they need to keep them stupid and broke. JROTC if taken in HS will allow new soldiers to enter into the military with higher rank which means higher pay. They don't want this for the students. Instead they are using the students as political pawns.
0 Replies

Cycloptichorn

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 02:30 pm
woiyo wrote:
Cycloptichorn wrote:
Baldimo wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Fox News.

Cycloptichorn

What does that have to do with JROTC?

As I said earlier, I'm no stranger to various ROTC programs and the one thing that most of the people who are in them have in common is that they certainly aren't the 'best and brightest.' The 'best and brightest' go on to college and other high-paying opportunities for the most part.

A corrollary example would be the football programs at military colleges. They suck, because they can't get the 'best and brightest' to go there, because noone wants to do a 4-year stint in the service when they could be getting paid millions to be playing ball on Sundays instead. And those that do, probably think about Pat Tillman for a minute before they decide not to join.

Cycloptichorn

ps. There has been a gigantic push, according to what I've read and talked about with military folks, towards recruiting soldiers and away from officers. My friends in the service have been warning that the greatest weakness in the military today is a severe shortage of middle management.
0 Replies

Setanta

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 02:55 pm
The Reserve Officer Training Corps has absolutely nothing to do with the military academies. Those who matriculate at the military academies are appointed by members of Congress, not recruited. After being appointed, they are obliged to take examinations intended to assure that they meet acadmeic standards. If any applicant fails, their replacement is appointed by the member of Congress who appointed the failed applicant.

The military academies do not recruit students. ROTC has nothing to do with the military acadmies. People who talk **** beggar their own point of view in any discussion or debate.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Thu 16 Nov, 2006 04:23 pm
Baldimo wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Fox News.

Oh well, it is San Francisco, or as I've heard it called, "San FranFlako"
The best I can hope for is that one day San Francisco will need the services of our military & they won't be there.
San Francisco isn't partial to our regular military either. This phasing out by the city of JRROTC is just more of the same whether the ROTC is part of the military or not.
0 Replies

woiyo

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 11:20 am
JUNIOR RESERVE OFFICERS TRAINING CORPS

Mission: Motivate young people to be better Americans.
Objectives: Encourage high school completion, teach respect for authority, develop leadership potential, improve physical fitness, explain the role of the military, and set the example.
Credit course: can be taken instead of the 1½ P.E. and ½ health, graduation requirements, or can be taken in addition to P.E. and count as an elective towards graduation.
Uniforms and equipment: Issued to the school/student by the United States Army on a loan basis, and must be returned at the end of school year, or upon departure from the JROTC course during the school year. Maintenance Fee, $3.00.
General: The JROTC program of instructions is designed to complement the school's overall curriculum. It provides today's high school students with a means of self-development which improves the whole being. It carries no obligation to future military service.

http://www.captainshreve.com/jr_rotc.html

Jr. ROTC - These are terrible things to teach our children!

"Army ROTC is an elective curriculum you take along with your required college classes. It prepares you with the tools, training and experiences that will help you succeed in any competitive environment. Along with great leadership training, Army ROTC can pay for your college tuition, too. You will have a normal college student experience like everyone else on campus, but when you graduate, you will be an Officer in the Army. "

Oh... the HORROR!!!!

Why do you think schools would not want to make this available to it's students?
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 11:38 am
Waaaay too AMerican & moral for SF schools.
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 02:11 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:

I'll bet if the uniforms came in more sensitive colors and they replaced rifles with dildos then they would consider keeping the JROTC program.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 02:43 pm
Baldimo wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:

I'll bet if the uniforms came in more sensitive colors and they replaced rifles with dildos then they would consider keeping the JROTC program.

lol Laughing
I wonder who SF will call on for help like they did in the '89 earthquake? Surely not the NG again?
0 Replies

Baldimo

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 02:46 pm
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Baldimo wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:

lol Laughing
I wonder who SF will call on for help like they did in the '89 earthquake? Surely not the NG again?

They would call on the Queen Berets for help.
0 Replies

LoneStarMadam

Reply Fri 17 Nov, 2006 03:20 pm
Baldimo wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:
Baldimo wrote:
LoneStarMadam wrote:

lol Laughing

They would call on the Queen Berets for help.

LOL Laughing
0 Replies