0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 05:30 pm
Us too.

Sigh.
0 Replies

kickycan

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 05:32 pm
Dammit people, this is Nimh's thread, and you're derailing it with all this unrelated crap! Please, let's get back to talking about Nimh and Nimh-related things.

So, Green Witch, you were saying how incredibly sexy I am. Go on...
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 05:32 pm
The Pack has at least been competitive in recent memory. SF? Just sorry.

(tangent: someone a couple of months ago greatly offended me when they found out I was from NorCal and said, "So you must be a Raiders fan." Al Davis moved the Raiders out of Oakland when I was 7. That was not to be forgiven.)
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 05:34 pm
Oh, right.

nimh supported the Raiders' move to LA. The bastard...
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 05:51 pm
P-dawg, I didn't know you're from NorCal! Cool. It seems like there aren't very many Northern Californians on a2k, although maybe I'm just missing them. Anyway, I'm pleased. Smile I'm on the north coast now, although I used to be in the Sierra Nevadas, kind of in the vicinity of Tahoe, Truckee, etc.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 05:54 pm
Sweet Sozobe! Been wondering where that's been this year. :wink:
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 05:55 pm
Might be too little too late -- I'm still agonizing over the possibility of missing Brett's last game. Up until then I was pleased with how well I was doing with denying my football addiction, though.

And we're getting further and further afield, let's heed kicky.

So, GreenWitch, you were saying how sexy he is...?
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 06:20 pm
cyphercat wrote:
P-dawg, I didn't know you're from NorCal! Cool. It seems like there aren't very many Northern Californians on a2k, although maybe I'm just missing them. Anyway, I'm pleased. Smile I'm on the north coast now, although I used to be in the Sierra Nevadas, kind of in the vicinity of Tahoe, Truckee, etc.

Well, I haven't lived there in a decade. It's been mostly Seattle and Madison, WI for us, and a little bit of time in Chicago. Oh, and a summer spent semi-homeless in Santa Cruz, which is an excellent place to be semi-homeless, camping out by the beach and going to sleep with the wind blowing and the waves crashing.

But you might actually know the place where I grew up, or at least have heard of it -- I was raised in Sonora, north of Yosemite, south of Tahoe. Built around gold mining (past and present), logging, and a little bit of tourism (130,000 people lived there during the Gold Rush, so there's a lot of old rotting stuff around).

Used to be a remote mountain town where you had to drive an hour to buy a pair of basketball shoes and people sometimes carried guns in bars. Now it's been stripmallified and people go tamely to take their alcholic refreshments at the local Bennigans -- or whatever the hell it is -- liberally decorated with artificial pieces of Americana manufactured by children in Malaysia to make soccer-dads feel sufficiently manly to choke down three microbrews before going to fall asleep at 11:45 in front of a big, bright television.

Like Sacramento.
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 06:23 pm
You're a sexy bitch, nimh...
0 Replies

Green Witch

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 06:28 pm
I'm sorry this thread has gotten much too crowded for me. I off to go find Gus and tell him how sexy he is.
0 Replies

cyphercat

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 06:30 pm
Ha, yep, I know exactly where Sonora is. My cousins grew up just outside of Stockton, so I've spent lots of time not so very far away.

You would definitely not have heard of the town I grew up in, but a similar deal, with the gold mining, logging, and attempts at drawing tourism. Thank goodness, it's been unsuccessful at attracting people, so it's still about as podunk as ever. Smile
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 06:40 pm
Yeah, it makes me kinda sad about Sonora. We used to get way up into the mountains and look down at the lights of all the valley towns, and at all the stoplights running up to them. There was only one little stopsign back then, and the really big trucks didn't fit under it, and there was no light at night except for the moon and stars and the porchlight. Then the valley towns crawled up, and there's pieces of freeway and stoplights and streetlights and box stores everywhere.

Watched the same thing start to happen to Santa Cruz in 5 years there, and got out of the state.

What part of the North Coast are you on now? Fort Bragg north? Eureka north?
0 Replies

JPB

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 08:03 pm
Seeing as though this thread has gone into the toilet, p-dog and Bill, are you interested in a Chicago gathering June 1-4? Walter is coming for a visit and we'll be starting up a convo on the details on the Chicago Thread
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 08:09 pm
Hey! Who trashed the thread?!?

June could mean I'm lazily (relatively, anyway) doing lab work with a lot of free time, or it could mean that I'm slave to a clinic with no free time in sight. Will file that away until the future becomes clearer in the spring.
0 Replies

farmerman

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 08:10 pm
Santa Cruz has turned into a vesrion of New Jersey beach towns. Boardwalks , cups of calamari and starbucks ,. ALso p-dog I lived in STockton and survived. Meanest little crime-infested rat hole in California. When you eat at On Lok Sams, they have to park your car in a gated area and even then it gets broken into.

The best thing to do in STockton was go to I-5 at 2 AM and watch the long haul big block racing machines go tearing down the road. Id think thyed have stopped that by now. But I saw last week that there was a fatal accident on I-5 from 2 cars racing at "extreme high speeds"
0 Replies

patiodog

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 08:16 pm
Stockton to me meant minor league baseball and crack dealers in front of the courthouse and delta stink.

Didn't mean fast cars, though.
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 08:59 pm
JPB wrote:
Seeing as though this thread has gone into the toilet, p-dog and Bill, are you interested in a Chicago gathering June 1-4? Walter is coming for a visit and we'll be starting up a convo on the details on the Chicago Thread
You betcha! Walter gave me the good news about a month ago. Let me know when it gets a thread of it's own... And damn it Soz; come to this one!
0 Replies

sozobe

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 09:06 pm
A friend of ours is getting married that week, several thousand miles away, so probably won't be able to.

You guys gotta set up the videoconferencing thing sometime though! I'm going to get a webcam soon I think...
0 Replies

OCCOM BILL

Reply Wed 3 Jan, 2007 09:21 pm
sozobe wrote:
A friend of ours is getting married that week, several thousand miles away, so probably won't be able to.
That's a bummer. Sad

sozobe wrote:
You guys gotta set up the videoconferencing thing sometime though! I'm going to get a webcam soon I think...
That's
http://www.xsltblog.com/archives/24805BP~The-Simpsons-Mr-Burns-Excellent.jpg :wink:
0 Replies

Copyright © 2024 MadLab, LLC :: Terms of Service :: Privacy Policy :: Page generated in 0.03 seconds on 09/30/2024 at 02:14:55